Hasbro could make more money with less cost for development

This may not work for action figures (since they are constantly under improvement) but for something like the Fighter Pods Hasbro could put out Series 1-12, give it a break of 2 years, and then re-introduce Series 1-12 (real time) all over again. At three series a year that's six years in between introductions of Series I to the public; plenty of time for a new crop of kids and for non-collectors a steady supply of an anticipatible inexpensive toys at zero development cost after the first round.

It's been a great model for board games and there's no reason why semi-collectibles wouldn't fit the same mold. Imagine if the original series of Star Wars MicroMachines were reintroduced. Nothing new mind you, just the 1990's already developed playsets, vehicles and micro figures. While you and I may not be eager to rush out collect them all, there have been 15 years of collectors who have never seen them on the shelves.
CC_Hoth.jpg

The Unleashed series might be fun to see again. (6" statues; not the minis.) Once the Transformer series has run it's course, it would also be a profitable one to mothball for 2-3 years and then re-issue.

Of course, there are always certain lines of toys which should never see the light of day again...
CC_Customs.jpg

... and those which seem to be missed opportunity for re-issue.
CC_Lightsaber.jpg
The first sign of 'the coming' would most likely be a new 'Classic Galactic Heroes' line which would be introduced around 2015/2016 which would be approximately 3 years since the successful line ended.

CC_Wampa.jpg

Any other ideas which lines (any manufacturer) might do well re-introduced to kids and new collectors?

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I agree that many re-released toys could work great. Galactic Heroes and Unleashed would work great in this format. Of course, it would probably drive all the collectors crazy with paint variation and package hunters. At this point, I'm of the opinion that less is better. We don't need 60 new and repainted figures a year. Just put 20-30 well sculpted, distinctly new figures.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Hasbro basically already does this. :)

Re-releasing old lines EXACTLY as they were (no re-paints, no packging changes, etc.) could also be handy for collectors who missed out on some of the range to be able to complete their sets ... assuming Hasbro and the local stores don't make the same dubious decisions they did last time around.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Hasbro basically already does this. :)

Re-releasing old lines EXACTLY as they were (no re-paints, no packging changes, etc.) could also be handy for collectors who missed out on some of the range to be able to complete their sets ... assuming Hasbro and the local stores don't make the same dubious decisions they did last time around.