Harry Potter thread

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Here's a thread for any HP news. Here's some exciting news!

J.K. Rowling Completes 6th Potter Novel

By HILLEL ITALIE, AP National Writer

NEW YORK - Harry Potter readers, here's an extra special holiday gift: J.K. Rowling announced Monday that she has completed the sixth Potter novel, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

"I know you all expected this to happen on Christmas Day, but I was sure that those of you who celebrate Christmas have better things to do on the day itself than fight your way into my study, whereas those of you who DON'T celebrate Christmas would definitely prefer not to wait until the 25th," the British author wrote in a message posted on her Web site.

Rowling noted that while she is pregnant with her third child, she has had the time "needed to tinker with the manuscript to my satisfaction and I am as happy as I have ever been with the end result. I only hope you feel it was worth the wait when you finally read it."

Rowling's U.S. publisher, Scholastic Inc., said a release date would be announced Tuesday morning.

With the new Potter book almost certain to come out in 2005, fans should be spared the seemingly interminable three-year wait between Potter IV, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," and Potter V, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," which came out in the summer of 2003. Rowling did not say whether the new book's length would top the industrial-sized 870 pages of "Order of the Phoenix."

Rowling's announcement is also great news for booksellers, who have endured another year of slow sales. More than 100 million copies of the fantasy series, which debuted in 1997, are in print, and "Order of the Phoenix" sold an astonishing 5 million copies within 24 hours of publication. Sales have remained phenomenal even as Rowling's books have grown longer and darker, reflecting the boy wizard's maturation into adolescence.

Hollywood has benefited, too; the first three Potter books have been made into hit movies. The books have also inspired countless Potter paraphernalia, including candy, cakes, capes and toys.

Rowling has said that one of her characters will not survive her sixth book, but she refused to identify that character.

Potter himself is safe, at least for now. Rowling has said her teenage hero will survive until the seventh and final book in the series, but has refused to say whether he will reach adulthood.

Only recently, the book's completion seemed far away. In a message posted Dec. 10, Rowling said she had nothing "noteworthy to report, because I have been spending nearly all my time sitting in front of my computer writing, rewriting and taking the occasional break to bang my head off the desk in frustration or else rub my hands together in fiendish glee (I think the latter has happened once)."

Yippie!!!

Yahoo!

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
MUGGLE ALERT! Author J.K. Rowling announcing that the sixth book in her celebrated Harry Potter fantasy series, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, will hit book stores on July 16, 2005 in the U.S., Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

Whooo hoo! Summer reading! :)

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
Hooray!!! Honestly I can't be happier. Now I'll have a midnight Barnes and Nobel party to attend on the 15th of July. I don't think I can bare waiting until pre-order delivery arrives on the 16th. I'm glad you started this thread, wookie cookie. Now I have people to share my glee with. Much thanks. :D

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
From Mugglenet, a pic of the American cover.

Attachments

• harrypotter6_HR.jpg
    harrypotter6_HR.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 481

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
I don't have the HTML code on so I just had to insert the picture to show you guys my nifty house crest.

Attachments

• HP-Ravenclaw.png
    HP-Ravenclaw.png
    8 KB · Views: 481

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
COuldn't get it to work last night. Using the same choices, it worked today :)

Well......I'm not smart enough to get the image to appear, but I am smart enough to know when to quit trying. :D It was Gryffindor.

cplfreezer

Mind Bender
Your in-depth results are:

Gryffindor - 15
Ravenclaw - 13
Hufflepuff - 10
Slytherin - 8

Attachments

• HP-Gryffindor.png
    HP-Gryffindor.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 476

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
cplfreezer said:
Your in-depth results are:

Gryffindor - 15
Ravenclaw - 13
Hufflepuff - 10
Slytherin - 8

Yay! That means Freezer and I will probably be the stars of the new Potter movie: The Bothan Spies Meet Harry Potter :D

Right?

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
The Goblet of Fire movie is only 4 days away (Nov. 17th 12:00am in the US that is). Is anybody else as excited as I am? I can hardly stand the wait!

Attachments

• gofposter2_highres[1].jpg
    gofposter2_highres[1].jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 472

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
I don't think I'm as excited as you, CB. :) But I'm excited. I won't make a midnight showing since I have to work early the next day, but hopefully I can see it Sunday night somewhere. I'm looking forward to the tri-wizard competion and the dance most of all. And to see he who can not be named in the flesh!!

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
wookiee_cookiee said:
I don't think I'm as excited as you, CB. :) But I'm excited. I won't make a midnight showing since I have to work early the next day, but hopefully I can see it Sunday night somewhere. I'm looking forward to the tri-wizard competion and the dance most of all. And to see he who can not be named in the flesh!!

I'm not going to pull a midnight showing either. I have to be slightly coherent for the students. (Not that they wouldn't be ecstatic if I snoozed all day) I'll be going Sunday evening too. I heard they cut almost all of Sirius' scenes except for the one with him talking to Harry in the fire place. A little Sirius is better than no Sirius. I'm excited about seeing the death-eaters too. I saw a little bit of that scene and I was like "oooooh scary!" then I made myself stop watching because I know I'll ruin it for myself. Anyway... yeah, I'm pretty excited. Oh, and Mad Eye Moody, he's gonna be pretty great.

Attachments

• frenchposter_trio[1].jpg
    frenchposter_trio[1].jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 486

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
I did enjoy the first two movies but with the different director in the third movie, it went a little off base for me. Don't get me wrong i did enjoy it. i'll wait and see what happens here. By all looks of the trailers, it should be good...

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Warner Bros. announcing that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, the fifth film in the franchise, will be released July 13, 2007.