Grand Moff Tarkin Mini Bust

Nightwing

New Recruit
Grand Moff Tarkin Mini Bust: updated pictures

got my bust today. It's great! the actual bust of tarkin is 5 1/2 ", but there is another inch added on because of the chair.

I never thought about gtting a bust before- too much money, but what with the price o the figures over here...these are top notch jobs. TheBiker Scout bust one coming out soon looks too good to pass on. All I would need now, is Boushh, and my fave figures would be complete!

Attachments

• tarkin1.jpg
    tarkin1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 436
  • tarkin2.jpg
    tarkin2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 472
  • tarkin3.jpg
    tarkin3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 407
  • tarkin4.jpg
    tarkin4.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 437
  • tarkin5.jpg
    tarkin5.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 390

Nightwing

New Recruit
I'd recommend entering, but then again, I can be a little biased towards a person who's been Sherlock Holmes, Biggles, Van Helsing, Frankenstein, Dr Who and of course, Winston Smith- to name just a few roles

Barada

Saboteur
Just a question - Gentle Giant claims to scan everything from the costume to the actor in their certificate of authenticity. Did they get a permit to exhume Peter Cushing to scan him? (lol, but in a twisted way :D )

Barada

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Originally posted by Nightwing
the face I believe, was molded from a mask taken just after he died. Amazing likeness

Nice pics Nightwing. :) While it's possible that a death-mask was made of Cushing, more than likely it was one of a few life-masks that exist. A life-mask (or death-mask) is just a mold of the persons face. Anyone who ever wore prosthetics in a movie technically had a life mask made of them, though I suppose few masks actually survive.

Anyway, a year or two back I was researching into life-masks, which are readily available on ebay, for as cheap as $30. Cushing is a popular one, and for cheaper than the cost of the bust, you could have a Cushing life-size face hanging on your wall. (Would also be cool to place on the pillow in your guest bedroom :p ) Another popular one is Vincent Price, of which I know there are "young" and "old" masks available. Look for 3/4 masks which include the ears (either Price or Cushing had one, can't remember which)

I never got around to buying any, but they're quite neat. CAUTION: There appear to be some varying opinions regarding quality of masks. Real nice ones are molded off of good originals, and feature lots of detail, etc. Poorer quality are less desirable, sort of like a photocopy of a photocopy. Some of the big ebay sellers had online stores where you could learn all this info after a little bit of browsing.

Some consider life-masks creepy because the eyes are almost always closed, making the person look dead. However, some versions of the masks have hollowed eyes (like bronze sculptures), giving a very life-like look. :cool:

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Here's a pic I swiped off of ebay. If anyone is opposed to a reference purposes only pic, feel free to yank it off, mods :)

This is from a 1985 movie. I recall there being at least one, maybe two, ither Cushing masks out there. It's the only current one on ebay now. Didn't search closed auctions. This one is very detailed, although I think I liked another one better.

Attachments

• cushing life mask 85.jpg
    cushing life mask 85.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 440

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Yeah, the mini-bust is a great sculpt. It's one of my favorite busts in the series (sadly I don't own any of them :rolleyes: )

That's another creepy thing about the life-masks, is they don't have hair.

On a side note, around the same time I was looking into this, one of these touring collectible shows that comes to malls was in my area. One of the booths made miniature busts (basically life masks), by taking your photo from two or three angles, and creating a digital 3D image. They had an article in the paper, so I went to check it out, and had it done.

The mask is about 3 or 4 inches high, and is mounted on a piece of slate. It was made out of a resin like material, layer by layer, almost like a photocopier (according to them, anyway). I had mine covered with a metallic pewter finish, so it would look like I had myself frozen in carbonite. You could get in done in many finishes, with or without metal coating. Very cool. It cost no more than $50, I think.

You had to pick it up about 2-weeks later at an office they rented in town, since they obviously couldn't make it on the spot in the mall.