George Lucas on various projects

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
44510a97b3f9ee.jpg
ComingSoon.net had this brief piece about the animated Star Wars show ...

Lucas on the CG-animated Star Wars Series
George Lucas talked to the Associated Press on Wednesday and said that Lucasfilm's CG-animated "Star Wars" TV series could air next year, although he hasn't sold the show to a network yet.

The "Clone Wars" series is set during the time when the Republic is fighting a civil war against separatists led by Count Dooku. The mythic period hasn't been dealt with too much in the popular "Star Wars" movies, so "it's a fun place to go," Lucas said.

"It basically has all the main characters" such as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, Lucas said, but the stars who played them in the movies won't voice them for the TV show.

The series is one of many projects being pursued by Lucas, including a fourth "Indiana Jones" movie.

Plus this bit about Indianna Jones IV and other bits ...

Indiana Jones 4 Update
Variety talked to "Star Wars" creator George Lucas, who says that Lucasfilm is getting out of the movie business. "We don't want to make movies. We're about to get into television. As far as Lucasfilm is concerned, we've moved away from the feature film thing, because it's too expensive and it's too risky. I think the secret to the future is quantity. Because that's where it's going to end up."

Having said that, Lucasfilm's exit from feature films is not instant or absolute. Indiana Jones 4 is still in development. "Steve (Spielberg) and I are still working away, trying to come up with something we're happy with. Hopefully in a short time we will come to an agreement. Or something," Lucas said.

He is also working on a film about the Tuskegee airmen of World War II called Red Tails. "I've been working on that for about 15 years," he said, adding he's also been working on "Indy 4" for 15 years.

And Lucas Animation does plan to start making feature films -- eventually. "Right now we're doing television, which looks great. I'm very very happy with it," he said of his animation division. "And out of doing the animation, we're getting the skill set and the people and putting the studio in place so we can do a feature. But it's probably going to be another year before we have the people and the systems in place to do a feature film."

Lucas calls himself "semi-retired" but reiterated his plans to direct, "small movies, esoteric in nature," after his other projects are launched. He expects to serve as executive producer on the two features and the TV shows, including the live-action "Star Wars" series.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Can't say that I'm very optimistic about Indy 4. I'm not sure how making a Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie is "risky". Everybody would go see it.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I think he meant making movies in general, not just adding to established franchises ... but, making a new Indiana Jones movie would be risky once Harrison is no longer able to do the role. They would either have to replace the actor (ala James Bond) or spin-off to something like an "Indy Junior".

Of course, even adding to an established franchise is risky. Just look at some of the awful Star Trek movies that have been released - over-expensive movies that have trouble recouping the cost of making them.

The cost of making movies these days is simply ridiculously over-bloated (especially FX movies) and there's a real risk of losing LOTS of money on any movie. Plus the decreasing ticket sales don't help - people are simply happier to watch mvoies on their own TVs via DVD rental or cable/satelitte, etc. only a few months after the box office release (even ignoring the downladable pirated version often available BEFORE the movie's official release). TV shows are heading the same way of over-bloated expense, but at the moment are a lesser risk.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess my point...

If I go out and max out a credit card to make a movie, that is risky. I don't know if there's an audience for a "directed by Borsk" movie.

On the other hand, if George Lucas makes a movie, that is not risky because people are more likely to go see something he's created based on his reputation.

"Risky" shouldn't be a word Lucas is tossing around. He should just do what he wants - regardless of the risk. Because whatever he does will make money.

However, everything you said is probably true for your average film maker. I just don't see Lucas as "average".

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Two titles for you:
  • Tucker
  • Howard the Duck
'nuff said. ;)

People would likely go to see a "George Lucas" movie, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee that it's any good or will recoup the expense of making it. Despite his comment above about "quantity", George Lucas has become more of a "quality" maker - he doesn't really want to make rubbish. Perhaps that's more of the risk he's talking about ... although another title does also spring to mind: "Star Wars Holiday Special". :eek:

Along sort-of similar sentiments, Peter Jackson has said he's getting "bored" with movies and is moving more towards games (which is part of the reason for the recent XBox 360 developer announcement).

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said, it just seems like saying "it's risky" is just an excuse to do what he wants.

...nothing wrong with him doing what he want. It's just a dumb excuse.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Another bit of news from ComingSoon.net ... gives some more details on the new Star Wars TV shows ...

Lucas on Upcoming Star Wars Projects
TheForce.net received word from the Directors Guild of America where George Lucas was a guest speaker. The "Star Wars" creator talked about Lucasfilm's upcoming projects. Here's a clip:
He's very excited about the animated 3D Clone Wars TV series. He is trying to recreate the ambiance of a SW film in cartoon form – "there won't be anything on TV like it" – it'll be "smart ass comedy with contemporary humor." It won't be dealing with the Skywalker story. The emphasis is on freedom to portray anything they feel like; for instance some episodes are just about clonetroopers, another features as the main character Kit Fisto. He's going to make 100 episodes, doesn't have a network yet.

The live action series is still a few years away, no character decisions have been cast in stone. He did say that each show will be a different character.​
IESB.net also got a chance to talk to Lucas and he revealed more about the animated show:
He tells us about a new character we will see in the upcoming animated series that takes place during the Clone wars. Her name is Osoka (this is a phonetic spelling, after all, with Lucas and his spelling magic it will probably be Osaakua or something like that), she is a young Padawan learner, it's her first assignment and she's very young. she's a little Togruta, the same species as Shaak Ti from Episodes II and III.​
Visit the link above for more of that interview.