Ewan McGregor to bike around the world

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Cool! We know who to ask about availability of that then :)

Let me know if you want any episodes taped here and I'll see what I can do. Might be tricky getting it to you (formats etc) but we'll wok something out :)

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
The motorcycle diarists

Ewan Mcregor and Charley Boorman survived a round-the-world adventure with friendship intact
Interview by Carl Wilkinson
Sunday October 17, 2004

What gave you the idea for the trip?
Ewan McGregor We'd done a few motorbike trips so it was the natural step to do a longer one. We thought about Spain, but that didn't seem far enough, so we thought of China. Then we just thought we'd keep going. Our three and a half months round the world was just born out of this idea of finding something to do for two weeks on a holiday.

How did you prepare for it?
Charley Boorman A trip like this would normally take a year's preparation, then another year doing it because it's a long way [more than 35,000 kilometres]. But because we're both such busy people there was no way we could take that amount of time.

EM We spent four months planning how we'd do it, but the best way to learn is to get out and do it. And what we learnt was that we carried far too much equipment - somewhere in Siberia we made ourselves pare down.

Did the gruelling nature of the trip strain your friendship?
EM I guess it could have been a 'make or break' for our friendship, but we were incredibly tight before we left and we didn't fall out while we were away. I think we've returned stronger buddies.

CB Obviously we each had our off days, but we were very lucky because we managed to dovetail with each other. When one of us was feeling a bit low the other could just keep them up. The great thing is that you're riding a motorbike, so you're not sitting in a car together. You're sitting on a bike for most of the day and doing your own thing and, if something is bothering you, by the time you get off your bike again it's so far gone.

What were the low points?
EM There were some tough times but it was an unbelievable experience. When it did get really tough we considered changing our route back up into Russia, but we never thought about going home early. Our goal was always New York. We always wanted to go to Mongolia because we'd seen this amazing photograph in National Geographic . At one point we really didn't think we'd make it through because it was such a difficult country to ride in. But I'm glad we stuck it out because it was the highlight of our trip.

CB Mongolia was just the most amazing place simply because it was really tough. There were no signposts. No roads. Really tough riding, freezing cold, baking hot, it was pissing down with rain, there was mud, and rivers to cross.

What was the highlight?
EM There was something incredibly comforting about being so far away from everything. You'd stop for the night and put your tent up at the side of the road and just kick stones around in the road and chat until midnight because it was still daylight. The feeling that we'd ridden there on two motorbikes was extraordinary.

CB We had never imagined the extent of people's hospitality; their kindness and willingness to help wherever we went. Through all these countries, the people were just fantastic. And we found ourselves in some bizarre situations: staying with a mafioso or sleeping on the floor of a policeman's house. People were just so generous.

Where next?
EM We're excited to be back home with our families. But there's South America to do and we visited three Unicef projects. We'd love to do a big trip in Africa with Unicef again. But I think the next shorter trip that strikes me is Scandinavia. We could go up through Norway into the Arctic Circle and come back down through Sweden.

CB We've known each other for ages and I think there is a bond that won't ever be broken. We'd definitely do another big trip together.

EM Yeah, he's going east, I'm going west.

The Observer

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Long ride to self discovery
Judith Woods reports on the motorcycle diaries of round-the-world duo Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman.

To those of us unlikely ever to dine on pigs' testicles in a Mongolian ger or spend the night drinking vodka and firing Kalashnikovs with Ukrainian mafia, Long Way Round, a new travelogue by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, presents an entertaining window on to a reassuringly remote world.

But while this aspect of the book is fascinating, the real story is about how close friends get on when a 15-week journey forces them to get even closer.

Their unflinchingly honest, and at times unflattering, portrayal of themselves and each other - as recorded in their daily diaries - serves, at the very least, as a cautionary tale to anyone who thinks there would be nothing more marvellous than ditching our families for a few months to hang out with our best mate on a grown-up gap year.

"Ewan had a tendency to impose his moods on everyone surrounding him," wrote Boorman, 38, after a particularly tiresome day in Kazakhstan. "One minute he was up, the next he'd hit the bottom of a deep trough. The best thing was to accept it and wait for him to get over it. He could snap out of a bad mood as quickly as he entered it. But it was a pain in the arse."

In Russia, McGregor, 33, found Boorman's bossiness difficult to endure. "Charley had a tendency to want to lead," he grumbled. "I was happy with it most of the time, but there were times when I had enough of traipsing along at the back. I don't want to spend this trip being led around the world."

Before embarking on their three-month motorbike ride from London to New York, heading east, the pair received survival training from Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, the ex-SAS expert.

But while they may have been well schooled in how to avoid "scrot rot" in their underpants, deal with bear attacks and talk their way out of a kidnap attempt, they were ill prepared for sleeping side by side under canvas. By Ulaan Baatar, they were desperate to swap their joint tent for two one-man shelters.

"We'd come to realise we couldn't be in each other's hair 24 hours a day," wrote McGregor. "It was too much. We needed some privacy if we were going to maintain our sanity."

When I met the two actors in the garage of their west London production office, there was an air of intimate - and rather exclusive - mateyness about their camaraderie.

After sharing the tribulations and triumphs of a 22,345-mile round-the-world trip, it's little wonder they describe themselves as "brothers". Having spent many months planning their Boy's Own adventure, then enduring its privations together, they unconsciously echo each other's body language as they light cigarettes and share in-jokes. When they listen to each other's stories, it is with rapt attention.

They met in Ireland in 1996, on the set of a film, The Serpent's Kiss. A shared passion for bikes was the foundation of the friendship and they began riding together, as well as holidaying together in Cornwall with their families.

At the outset, the pair agreed that the purpose of the trek was to savour the journey, rather than hurtle blindly towards their destination. But it took many days for them to acquire the ability to slow down and live in the moment.

"We would try to reach a town by nightfall," said McGregor, "but grew to realise that, if we didn't, and something held us up, that was what would make the journey. I really believed the delays and aggravations were what made the trip interesting. It wasn't solely about sitting on the back of a motorbike. The bike was just the means by which we'd chosen to get from one experience to another."

He and Boorman felt Mongolia was the undisputed highlight of their trip; its rugged beauty created many frustrating challenges, but the rewards were rich, in terms of both scenery and people.

"Once we stopped and began to meet real people," said Boorman, "it was refreshing to realise that everybody is pretty much the same and wants the same things: a house to live in, food to eat, a better future for their children."

Children - both men have two daughters - were a recurrent theme of the trip: McGregor is a goodwill ambassador for Unicef, the United Nations Children's Fund, and he and Boorman stopped at various projects, which will feature in Long Way Round, the television series on the trip that begins on Monday.

Again and again they marvelled at the kindness shown to them by individuals and communities with, to Western eyes, few material possessions. In every minor crisis, from repairing a damaged engine to fording a flooded river, they were invariably helped by the locals.

Strangers would appear, as if from nowhere, to weld their bikes, offer a bed for the night - with a four-hour feast and a sauna thrown in - or simply provide them with crucial information about the surrounding terrain.

For their part, McGregor and Boorman found themselves gradually opening up - to strangers and to each other. Although they knew each other well at the outset, it was inevitable that the pressures of the journey, both practical and psychological, would create strains.

"I learned it was very important to communicate," said McGregor. "Before we left, we made a pact to make sure we vented our grievances straight away instead of fuming about things for days on end. I would get depressed, which was caused by missing my family or feeling things weren't going the way I wanted them to. But unless I communicated that, nobody knew what was wrong with me or why."

Boorman's communication difficulties were the polar opposite. A tendency to opine a little too frequently, and too forcefully, led to heated arguments with the cameraman who travelled with them and the back-up team with whom they liaised at potentially tricky border crossings.

"I had a lot of problems at the beginning," said Boorman. "I discovered pretty early on that I needed to stop and listen to people a bit more, and that I'm not always right - hard lessons to learn." At one point, McGregor recorded in his diary, he laid into Boorman for "throwing up too much dust, riding too fast and a dozen other things, all the criticism completely unwarranted and brought on by my bad mood".

In Slovakia, where McGregor was already desperately homesick, he was oversensitive and uptight as Boorman poked fun at him. "I'm not very good at laddish repartee at the best of times," he conceded, "but now it really seemed to land a punch and I was failing to roll with it."

On another occasion, when floods had transformed the primitive track into a mudbath in which they repeatedly skidded off their bikes, Boorman was so demoralised he burst into tears. "I was blubbing like a baby, the inside of my helmet steaming up as the tears rolled down my cheeks."

But the good times far outweighed the bad; the shared sense of purpose - and indeed, shared belongings - created an intense bond. In Long Way Round, an exasperated Boorman chides McGregor for his "obsession with gear", such as a toilet-roll holder and multiple saucepans, which eventually had to be shed from their chronically overloaded 1,150cc BMW bikes.

A list of their baggage includes silk long johns, Blu-tack, mountain whistles and dental floss. The pair are adamant, however, that their most vital pieces of kit were their global positioning systems, followed by mountain equipment sleeping bags (McGregor) and baby-wipes (Boorman).

McGregor recounted listening to Wagner on his iPod as they drove through "scrappy Czech towns, along cobbled roads and down tree-lined avenues". But as they rode further on from central Europe, and the roads became more unpredictable, they found music too great a distraction.

"We learned to be happy with our thoughts as we rode along," said Boorman. "We had the time to contemplate all sorts of things, which you don't often have when you've got a family and you're wrapped up in day-to-day life." The photographs they showed me vividly capture the realities of backpacking by bike, with the two alternately larking about and glumly waiting at border crossings as their fixers wrestle with red tape.

There were incongruous shots of them dressed in their leathers alongside Mongolian herds-men and posing dutifully with heavily-armed border police - at the policemen's insistence. Looking at a snap of his bike parked in front of a truck that had toppled into a ditch, McGregor erupted into laughter.

"We were in Siberia and we drove past a lorry that had veered off the road and had almost overturned, which wasn't an unusual sight in Siberia," he said. "I thought I'd check there was no one inside, so I clambered up and on the front seat saw a big coat, which started moving. And this face came out and I got such a fright. I said, 'Are you OK?' And he told me to f--- off. I can only assume he was so drunk he'd crashed his lorry and was sleeping it off."

McGregor and Boorman travelled through Europe, Russia, Siberia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Alaska and then across North America to New York. Their only breaks from the road were when they went under the Channel by train and flew across the Bering Strait between Siberia and Alaska.

Gruelling as their trip was, they are already thinking about another - but on a more modest scale.

"The two obvious places are Africa and South America," said McGregor. "We agree we wouldn't do such a long journey again. I look back at the toughest times with the most fondness, but one thing we definitely learned was that three months was a long time away from our kids and our lives."

The Telegraph

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
McGregor sobbed as he completed bike trek

Ewan McGregor was glad his face was covered by a helmet as helicopter crews filmed the end of his historic 20,000-mile (32,187-kilometre) round-the-world motorbike trek - because he was "crying like a baby".

The Scottish actor and pal Charley Boorman took over three months to cross Europe, Mongolia and Russia, before arriving in Alaska and biking down to New York.

And McGregor was so relieved as he completed the trip, he rode into New York sobbing.

He says: "A helicopter was flying level with us… a cameraman hanging out of its door, and I was gone.

"I burst into tears, crying like a baby, the tears rolling down my face and I blubbed into my helmet and pulled a V for victory sign to the helicopter swooping nearby."
Irish Examiner

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
From the Ewan Sisterhood mesage board:
I received an Email from the official Long Way Round site which informed me that the DVD will be available on December 6. No other details were given except to say to watch their site.

The Ewan Sisterhood

Also, there is a 2 page article about the Long Way Round series in the October 29th issue of Entertainment Weekly. It isn't online yet, but I'll try to remember to post it when it is.