Escape From Mos Eisley wave

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I snagged some of the new Escape From Mos Eisley figures today at Walmart. I'm impressed with these figures to say the least! :)

The entire assortment contains:

Luke (mositure farmer)
Han (repaint)
Sandtrooper (Vintage style sculpt)
Garindan (brand new sculpt)
Momaw Nadon (brand new sculpt)
Hem Dazon
R5-D4

Bespin Darth Vader also ships with these. I muyst say he looks awesome, but is a re-issue of the 500th Vader, which is the same as the Hoth Vader, I believe. He comes with 3 pieces of debris though....1 of which might be new.

Anyway, Hasbro did lots of thing right with these figures. Luke is mostly kit-bashed, but looks nice. What's cool about him is the accessory: Obi-Wan's storage trunk. It's a replica of the movie prop, only it's been filled with goodies to please SW fans. In the bottom you see a folded up robe, with a training remote, re-breather, and pilot's headset setting on top. The lid is inset with Anakin's saber (removable), Obi-Wan's saber, and a gold colored Jedi Order insignia. I think this is one of the coolest accessories Hasbro has ever made! Sure, it doesn't realisticilly have what Ben woudl have kept in there, but it's still cool. (He probably carried his saber at all times, why create a Jedi logo, and why hang on to a rebreather or a generic headset he swiped from a starfighter?) Still neat though.

Momaw has a nice new sculpt that could easily be used for any Ithorian, even the Jedi one from Clone Wars Season 2. He has lots of cool belt pouches and stuff sculpted this time, and a separate hood piece to allow poseability. Comes with a staff befitting a pacifist, not a massive hand-cannon like before. :p

Hem Dazon is brand new, and features lots of detail,a nd even stands on his own un-aided (despite back-ward jointed legs). Cool cantina table with Dazon and Momaw too.

Garindan--this one I questioned the need for, but I like it a lot. The figure is super-articulated, and has a generic enough body to be great for customs. He has a separate;y sculpted holster/belt and a separate Imperial commlink he holds. Soft goods cloak and at last a look at his head underneath the cape.

Sandtrooper, same suoer-articualted sculpt we've seen before. I'm not a huge fan of the superarticualtionsm, i think it takes away from teh overall sculpt, but it's still a cool figure. This one comes with an electro-pole (for prodding Dewbacks or pesky Jawas) and a thermal detonator he can wear when not wearing the sandtrooper backpack.

R5 - R5 has a standard astromech sculpt with a fixed extended third leg. Nice paint detail, although of the two I saw, one had pretty heavy silver paint around the "eyes". I got one with less paint.
Turn his head and he blows his motivator. :cool:

Stevetrooper

Galactic Groundpounder
My favorite of these is Momaw Nadon. I wasn't happy with the previous one, so seeing it finally done with more attention to accuracy is great. As for the trooper, well they can never put out too many of those. (Funny though how they can sell it at the normal 6 or 7 dollar price, but when it's in the "VOTC" packaging it must be sold at $10.00 due to the extra "articulation". Hmmm...) I loved the new R5-D4. Finally! Hopefully now we can get some repaints of the other R5 units in the movies to catch up with all the R2, R3 and R4's they have now. Hem Dazon could have been done much better. Since he pops up from down low in the film, I think they should have made him short with a long neck. Also, if you pause the film you can see that the head is way off. It's still a cool figure though. Garinden is very cool too. The only thing wrong is the same thing they always get wrong when doing him: The hood is not supposed to attach around his neck, but rather it should hang straight down sort of like on a nun. (That's going to have to be my next custom project I suppose).