Episode 7, 8 and 9????

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I think someone's telling HUGE porkies, but this is from TheForce.net ...
EP3: Mayew Also Signed for Sequel Trilogy?
Rob tells us that the December 2003 issue of the British movie mag HOTDOG has just hit the stands here in the U.S. and found several cool Star Wars related things. In particular, on page 12, here's this possibly amazing passage:
"No wonder Peter "Chewbacca" Mayhew is smiling. Not only has he been rescued from obscurity and given the chance to reprise his role as our Wookiee comrade for Episode III, but his contract also stipulates that he'd be required to appear in Episodes 7, 8, and 9.

Yes folks, seems there are actual whispers at Lucasfilm that the 'sequel' trilogy might be in the works..."
http://www.theforce.net/episode3/index.shtml#23010

:rolleyes:

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
It would only be truly cool if they did the three movies in the same way that LOTR was done, by filming all three at the same time. Waiting three years between movies just doesn't cut it anymore.

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
It would be quite interesting to see them, but I'm not sure if that'll happen. The LotR filming style is great and would be wonderful if there isn't that much time between the movies in Jeditime (for lack of a better word, although movie time would also be appropriate.) Would Mark Hamill be in it?

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
Guys, this is bad.

If this were true, we wouldnt be able to watch the entire series in one day. It would take like 30+ hours with food and bathroom and coffee breaks

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I just heard some twit on the radio here repeating this story. It's amazing what "news" these people pick up off the Internet and broadcast with zero checking. :rolleyes:

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Yeah, did you hear that Spirit called into a gas station and has been radically upgraded?

He's travelling onward to a more interesting climate :D

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Not really. George Lucas' Star Wars movie saga is the story of Anakin Skywalker, so at the end of Episode VI when he's dead it's the end of the story.

All the other stuff is left for the EU to flounder in. :)

Of course, Peter Mayhew is now saying that he never said anything about sequel episodes and he doesn't know where the reporter got it from. The conspiracy theorists will say that he's simply trying to cover up his earlier slip. :rolleyes: The rest of us know that reporters almost always make the story up as they go along and have no concern for things like facts - they're simply trying to sell a story / magazine / newspaper.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
i think lucas kind of makes this stuff up as he goes. the OT is not the story of anakin skywalker, if you ask me. Only with the prequels does it become the story of anakin.

i did a news post a while back on a rumor about a spin off movie for Maul. nothing has ever come of that, that i am aware of, but i think it could be succesful if it was given a chance.

i think there is enough interest to explore some of the other possibilties that the SW universe has to offer.

i do find it hard to swallow that peter mayhew would have anything in any contract that had anything to do with any future sw movie. I like mayhew and i wouldn't mind seeing him in the chewie role in some future project, but it doesn't sound very realistic to me at all.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Originally posted by AmShak
i think lucas kind of makes this stuff up as he goes.
Of course some of it is made up along the way - he's writing and editing the story as each episode has been made, changes are bound to happen. :)

the OT is not the story of anakin skywalker, if you ask me. Only with the prequels does it become the story of anakin.
And that simply proves the point. If the prequels hadn't been made, then it could perhaps be argued that it's not Anakin's story, but now that they have been made it's becomes much more obvious: Anakin is (almost) born in Episode I and dies in Episode VI. As with any story, there are also LOTS of side-stories (some more important than others, eg. the birth and death of the Empire) and directions the reader / viewer might want to follow, but these are where the EU comes into the picture.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
sure, i can't argue against any of that. my point was that the OT stood for a very long time before the prequels came along to make it the story of anakin, IMO. Someone could just as easily say that it's the story of R2-D2 (i think chris solo might support this idea).

Call it whatever you like, i just think there is enough interest and enough subject matter to expand what we know on the big screen w/o damaging what we already have. it may not ever happen, but the possibilty is always there

Barada

Saboteur
In the original novelization of ANH, 'authored' by George Lucas himself (I believe it was ghost-written by Alan Dean Foster), the title reads, STAR WARS From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker.

I'd say this is more than enough to suggest that SW was not originally the story of Anakin, but rather that of Luke.

I think it was around the time of the SE trilogy that Lucas said in an interview that this was basically a story told through the eyes of R2-D2 and C-3PO, which was to connect all six movies with a common link.

It is only since the release of Episode I that Lucas has been pushing the notion that this is the story of Anakin, and always has been. It's not that hard to show that he's contradicting himself.

Barada

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
I read that too about the droids being the focal point but i can't remember where. Was quite a while ago.....:)

Dark Jedi

Banned
Oooh, Episode 7, 8 and 9? Me likey veeeery much, If this is true, does anyone think it will feature characters from EU? This is a possibality. This IS most likely a pointless rumor, but I didn't think Ginger Snaps II would ever happen, and I just saw a preview today.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I definitely heard tell that the droids were the focal point of the whole thing. It was something like the droids being the one constant and how the story was to be told from their point of view. If you look back through OT, there are not too many scenes where the droids aren't involved, or at least nearby.

I'm pretty sure I heard it in an interview with GL at some point, but memory can be a fuzzy thing..........