Enterprise Cancellation Rumor

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
There's also a story of one of the Paramount high-ups saying that they haven't made a decision and may not make any decision until May.

It's really way past time to give Star Trek a rest, if not completely shut it down. If they decide to continue that it's WAY WAY past time to drop Berman & Braga (who should never have been left in charge in the first place) and get someone who really knows what Star Trek is meant to be.

Thankfully George Lucas knows that you have to stop and Episode III will be the last Star Wars movie in the saga, and hopefully he has much more intelligence when choosing his successor.

The big difference is that Star Trek is owned by a studio where the big cheese keeps changing and the latest fool always knows better. Star Wars is of course owned solely by George Lucas and he DOES know what's best for his creation (although the Holiday Special would make you wonder, but it wouldn't surprise me if some studio talked him into that one).

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I watched quite a bit of TNG and slightly less of DS9. I've seen almost none of Voyager or Enterprise.

I'm not against them making more Star Trek and Star Wars movies/tvshows as long as they're able to keep it fresh. Sometimes you can't do that without taking a break from it all.

I find it hard to believe that they would have another Star Trek series for a while if the current series can't last longer than 4 seasons.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
As far as I know, The Holiday Special.....spit....cough!!
was the only time that GL didn't retain total control. He left it to the studio execs to deal with as he was getting busy with Empire or was otherwise distracted. Again, as far as I know, he didn't actually see it until it was too late.

Maybe I've got that totally wrong, but someone here can surely verify this or otherwise ;)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
The other problem for Star Trek is that the next movie is evidently going to be a prequel, but have nothing to do with the "Enterprise" TV show (rumoured to have been returned for LOTS more work by the Paramount big-wigs). It really makes you wonder if B&B really have any brains. :rolleyes:

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
It's no longer a rumour. Enterprise has been officially cancelled, with the final episode playing in the US on 13 May. The news is being reported all over the Internet and in typical fashion the idiot B&B twins can't figure out why. :rolleyes:

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
What creature is that banana riding??

Anyway, it looks like Enterprise's failure is the final nail in the Star Trek franchise, at least for a while. This is from SciFi.com ...

Enterprise Won't Be Shopped
Rick Berman, executive producer of UPN's just-canceled Star Trek: Enterprise, told SCI FI Wire that Paramount is not shopping the series to another network in the hope that it will remain on the air past its anticipated May 13 series finale on UPN. The studio considered that option last year, when the fate of Enterprise hung in the balance, but UPN ultimately renewed the struggling series for a fourth and now last season.

"One of the greatest things that Paramount has offered usover the last 18 years has been the kinds of budgets that have allowed us to produce the show at the quality that it's been done," Berman said in an interview hours after the official announcement was made by UPN. "The budget that all of our Star Trek series have demanded are the kinds of budgets that would be prohibitive on cable. So as of now the powers-that-be seem to feel it's time to give the franchise a rest, and I think it's most likely a good idea."

Sources told SCI FI Wire that the show costs as much as $1.6 million per episode to produce, for which UPN paid about half. To win renewal last year, Paramount cut its fee to UPN, which resulted in some cost-cutting, which included shooting the series on high-definition digital video instead of film.
The final episode of Enterprise is due to be played in the US on 13 May ... that's Friday, 13 May, a Black Friday. Seems fitting.

Unfortunately the series finale is going to be written by the same two idiots who have been flushing the Star Trek franchise down the toilet since day one: Brannon Braga and Rick Berman. :(

Nightwing

New Recruit
Buzz Bumble said:
What creature is that banana riding??
A llamagrub
lb03.gif

looks like Bakula will be able to make the tv-movie of Quantum Leap now :D

Barada

Saboteur
Buzz Bumble said:
Anyway, it looks like Enterprise's failure is the final nail in the Star Trek franchise, at least for a while.

It's about time. :D

Star Trek has been useless since Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Barada

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Barada said:
It's about time. :D

Star Trek has been useless since Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Barada
You liked the first Star Trek movie? Interesting...

Barada

Saboteur
Didn't say that... ;)

ST2 is the only film I really enjoyed in the franchise, although as a standalone film, First Contact was okay.

Barada

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Nightwing said:
A llamagrub
Well that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Nightwing said:
looks like Bakula will be able to make the tv-movie of Quantum Leap now :D
I don't know anything about a Quantum Leap TV-movie, but there are plans in the works to make a new series, but it's based around a female Leaper (helped by the naval hologram guy) who's now looking through time for Scott Bakula's character. :yawn: They really should leave the old shows as old shows - release them on DVD, but don't keep trying to make usually horrendous new versions.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Barada said:
Didn't say that... ;)

ST2 is the only film I really enjoyed in the franchise, although as a standalone film, First Contact was okay.

Barada
For me:

liked: ST2, ST4, ST6

kinda liked: ST3

didn't like: ST1

hated: ST5

Nightwing

New Recruit
Buzz Bumble said:
Well that makes sense. :rolleyes:

release them on DVD, but don't keep trying to make usually horrendous new versions.
theey already have

and the new batllestar gallatica is great