Documentary: Star Wars - Deleted Magic

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
This sounds like it might be interesting ...

Amateur Filmmaker Uses Mac to Create DVD Documenting the Editing of Star Wars
While many obsessed Star Wars fans bitten by the digital film bug have channeled their energy into making films set in George Lucas' universe or turning out documentaries about such topics as waiting in line for the next movie, no one has delved into the more esoteric area of the original movie's editing, which won an Academy Award in 1978. So Garrett Gilchrist decided to draw on his own experiences as a film student at USC to create Star Wars: Deleted Magic - a look at that seminal movie from an editing point-of-view, complete with not only plenty of behind-the-scenes and deleted footage but also brand new shots, such as opening text based on an early draft of the screenplay. Mr. Gilchrist even inserted his own text notes and provided brief voice-over narration for certain segments.

Continues (with images) at The Mac Observer ...
It's just a pity you can only really get it from the BitTorrent file sharing system ...

Q: If someone wants to get a copy of Deleted Magic, where should they go?

A: You can get a torrent of the entire DVD at myspleen.net, and it's also been posted in the alt.binaries.starwars newsgroup, or whatever the name of that newsgroup is.

Or ask that Star Wars fan you know who has all kinds of weird discs. He might have it!
:(

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Okay, got me a bulging folder full of stuff. Gotta ask the stupid question now - how to get it on dvd? Is it a simple case of copying the entire folder (plus subfolders) onto dvd or is there some black magic required?

aceface

Junior Spy
I too, have managed (after 5 continuous days of downloading!) to obtain "a bulging folder of stuff" that I'm not quite sure how to transfer to a DVD. Has anyone had success? If so, how did you go about it?

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Sorry guys, being on a dial-up connection and having no BitTorrent software means I haven't even downloaded it. :(

You could try emaling the person mention on the Clips section of the website:
VIDEO CLIPS TEMPORARILY DISABLED DUE TO BANDWIDTH OVERAGES.

HOWEVER YOU CAN FIND THE ENTIRE PROJECT AT MYSPLEEN.NET.

CONTACT GARRETT FOR MORE INFO. YOU CAN REACH HIM AT TYGERBUG AT YAHOO.COM.​

aceface

Junior Spy
Buzz Bumble said:
You could try emaling the person mention on the Clips section of the website
I emailed Garrett this afternoon. Here is his response...

You should be able to burn the "Deleted Magic" folder to a DVD as-is. Or with your burning program. The main ingredient of a DVD is the VIDEO-TS folder. There will also be an empty directory called AUDIO_TS and a JACKET_P folder. As long as these are there, your disc should play.

I just tried it (using Toast on my G5 iMac) and it wouldn't play on my DVD player. I have a few more options up my sleeve that I'll try out this weekend.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
This one has become academic for me. Total loss of hard disk the other day.

Waaaahhh!!!!

Still like to see how its done though.