D20 vs West End Games

Tristan

Scout and Bounty Hunter
I assume that at least half of this group has played one form of the Star Wars RPG or the other.

So which one is better?

Well... I cut my teeth on the WEG version. It was quick and easy and I loved the wild die! But even though they made a cubic buttload of material for it, they still didn't explain a lot.

Skills tended to be very sparse, especially if you were playing force users. Equipment was great and plentiful. The gaming miniatures were tiny and hard to paint tho. They were about the size of the Galoob Micro Machines action fleet people.

On the other hand... the Wizards of the Coast D20 rules for Star Wars are smooth. True they are more complicated, but not too hard to learn once you take the time to sit down and read the manual cover-to-cover.

WOTC has only put out less than a dozen books for the game, but already they have a strong base and useful material. Granted this is because they hired Bill Slavezsic (sic) to be the editor (Bill worked on the WEG version).

The cripplings factor for the D20 game? Expensive, 3 of the books so far are hardbacks with glossy, color pages. Erratta, the day it was released the wizards website started fixing it and is still continuing.

Another excellent factor for the D20 version? The Star Wars Gamer magazine. Not only does it have excellent articles for the game, but notes on computer/platform SW games and the CCG, and some model building and new fiction. Fun!

Rush out and buy it now!