Custom V-19 Torrent Starfighter

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
What do you get when you take a bunch of cardboard and paper, slice it to bits, and then put it all back together? Why, a spaceship of course. :D

After finally seeing the first season of the Clone Wars, I decided to make my own Torrent Starfighter (thats the one the clones are flying). Looking at my budget, available supplies, and customizing experience (minimal), I opted to make it out of cardboard. So far, it's been pretty easy to construct, but still very time consuming. I'll post my progress here.

And yes, I finally have use of a digital cam :balloons:, although technically its a loaner.

Attachments

• proto torrent 2.jpg
    proto torrent 2.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 361
  • torrent pieces.jpg
    torrent pieces.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 335
  • torrent 5-9-04.jpg
    torrent 5-9-04.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 368
  • torrent lower fuselage.jpg
    torrent lower fuselage.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 338

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Well....after a week, I finally had time to work on the ship some more. Spent a couple hours, re-cut the bottom hull, and cut top pieces. Made new cardboard inserts to hold the center S-Foil. (The foam in the first photo just wasn't gonna work.

So, I decided to get started on gluing the labels. And......ran out of glue after only one. :mad: So, borrow, buy or steal a new glue stick tomorrow.

New picture attached above.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Doh! Computer froze on my last post. Anyway, worked on it some more this weekend. I have a bad feeling it's gonna look kinda ghetto. But, I still think my overall design is pretty workable.

A few details left to work out, such as final wing attachment, detail stickers, and hoping the thing stays glued together when I get to that point.

Couple new pics attached above.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Finally figured out how best to attach the wings....the winner is....wires. Not the most attractive, but the most effective in this case. I managed to twist wires from strawberry flats into a loop so that the trailing end could be inserted into the carboard wing. Some of these wires were a real pain to shape, since they weren't very flexible when it came to precision. I imagine a craft wire would work, but this is what what available for me.

It's also surprisingly hard to take a picture of and hold with the wings deployed . The one is taken in a mirror.

Now I need to apply the labels to the other wing, create a label for the center thruster, and start attaching the main fuselage parts.

Attachments

• wing1a.jpg
    wing1a.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 347
  • wing1b.jpg
    wing1b.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 362