Collectible of the Day 166 - Destroy Death Star Game

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
6898001057_1449aca391_z.jpg
Not too long ago, I also had the pleasure of playing this vintage board game for the first time. Despite having acquired several vintage games as a kid, until this year I had never had the opportunity to see this game in person. Destroy Death Star is a beautiful, and elaborate board game to say the least.

The object is to be the first player to successfully approach the Death Star with your fighter wing, enter it's trench, and fire your proton torpedoes down it's ventilation shaft. Each player has a wing of three X-Wings. If you take damage, you will lose X-Wings. If all your fighters are lost, you start over with a new wing.

You must first bring your fighter into Death Star orbit. Next you bring them into a closer orbit before finally entering it's trench when the opportunity arises. To make matters more complicated, the Death Star is also rotating. As it rotates, it covers and reveals threats like TIE Fighters or Darth Vader's TIE, potentially causing you to enter dogfights at random.

The game is quite fun and can be challenging if the odds aren't in your favor. The gameplay itself is very well thought out, and simulates random attack and misfortune in a way I've seen in few other games. If you ever have a chance to play this game, please do...it's well worth the time.

6897998799_a37923f0c8_z.jpg
6898000667_45eeef0428_z.jpg
6898001407_42a60f8954_z.jpg