Collectible of the Day 018 - WEG Star Wars Miniatures

Discussion in 'Espionage Report' started by darthskellington, Dec 9, 2010.

1. darthskellington

darthskellington Dark Lord of the Typos

Collectible of the Day​

[​IMG]

Today’s collectibles are metal gaming miniatures produced by West End Games and Grenadier Models. WEG produced Star Wars role-playing game material and miniatures from the late 1980s until the mid 1990s. They produced over 100 miniatures based on all three original movies, as well as some sets based on Timothy Zahn’s novels and an original campaign called Darkstryder. Not limited to humanoids, the miniatures include Jabba, Taun Tauns, a Rancor, and vehicles such as Landspeeders, Storm Skimmers, and an AT-PT.

Most miniatures were available in box sets of ten, such as those seen here. They were also available in blister packs of three. Some, such as the Heir to the Empire and Darkstryder sets, could only be purchased on blister packs. Shown in the photos are the Stormtrooper Adventure Set, and the ANH, ESB, and ROTJ Movie Collectors Sets. The miniatures all came unpainted. It is customary for gamers to paint their own figures to their liking. As you can see in the photos, some of these are already painted, others are not. I plan on painting all of these and displaying them as a complete set one day. Others choose to keep them in their original unpainted condition.

These miniatures can still be found in box sets and sealed blister packs on the secondary market. It is easier to track them down online than it is to stumble across them in a comic or gaming shop, and patience can lead to the best bargains. To anyone interested in collecting these, I suggest researching some online checklists, like these listed below. While I’m still working on my own set, I may be able to give you a few pointers as well.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/west-end-games/star-wars.html

http://www.sandcrawler.com/SWB/westend.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Discuss this collectible here.

If you have an item you'd like to have featured, please PM me and provide a detailed description and a link to a medium sized, relatively in-focus photo. :)