Collectible of the Day 013 - Death Star Escape

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Collectible of the Day​

5222127216_0eaf6550a7.jpg

Today’s collectible is the Death Star Escape playset from the Kenner Micro Collection line. Released around 1982, the Micro Collection line included miniature playsets of the Death Star, Hoth, and Cloud City, along with a few space ships. Each playset came with several painted die cast miniatures. The Death Star Escape playset was one of two Death Star sets. It could be combined with the Trash Compactor set, or purchased together as the Death Star World set. Together, these sets included all the features of the 3-3/4” scale Death Star playset, and then some. This particular set includes a working elevator, laser cannon with exploding feature, retractable walkway, rope to swing across the chasm, tractor beam generator, and a control center. It came with 6 figures: Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, and two Stormtroopers. The elevator can be attached in two different configurations, and the entire set can connect to the Trash Compactor playset in multiple ways as well.

The Micro Collection line was ahead of its time, and sadly did not last long. The details were extremely well done, making later playsets of all sizes pale in comparison. The Micro Collection is among my favorites in the vintage line, and it can be collected at a relatively affordable price. I purchased this set on eBay apparently for less than the original price…according to the Service Merchandise tag, it cost $12.94.

5221529345_53c7eb9506.jpg

5222136268_dcd34de1eb.jpg

Discuss this collectible here. Additional photos are at this link.

If you have an item you'd like to have featured, please PM me and provide a detailed description and a link to a medium sized, relatively in-focus photo. :)