Collectible of the Day 010 - Star Wars Plastic Coke Cups

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Collectible of the Day​

5207176543_865b4dbcb2.jpg

Today’s collectible is a set of eight numbered plastic cups produced by Coca-Cola in the late 1970’s. Coke made three different sets for A New Hope, and later a set for Return of the Jedi. They were available at 7-11 convenient stores or other similar chains. They are sometimes marked 7-11, Koolee, or Frozen Coke.

The cups pictured here are the complete second series, numbered 1-8, and are marked “The Coca-Cola Company” on the back. They have text on the back describing the characters shown on the cup. This second series apparently came in two different sizes (those pictured above are all the same size, they are just stair-stepped for the photo). These glasses are relatively inexpensive to collect, and can often be bought online in small groups. Condition is a little harder to guarantee. Some series of cups were more durable than others. Series made of thinner plastic are more brittle, and prone to cracking. Some cups are also susceptible to yellowing. With patience though, they can be a fun collection to try and complete.

The first three Star Wars sets consisted of 20 numbered, 8 numbered, and 8 unnumbered cups, respectively. The ROTJ set was made up of 12 different unnumbered cups. Not counting variations in chain logos or size, there are 48 different cups to collect. If you like these, there are a number of other individual plastic cups produced for movies theaters, a convenient store called Grubees, and a series of 5 small plastic cups made for Pepperidge Farm, among others.

Discuss this collectible here.

If you have an item you'd like to have featured, please PM me and provide a detailed description and a link to a medium sized, relatively in-focus photo. :)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Those were also available here in New Zealand, from memory, through the fast food restaurant chain Georgie Pie (which no longer exists - the name is now legally owned by another chain, but unused. A local pie maker is trying to resurrect it and / or its recipes).

I've only got the Han Solo cup :( with that same picture on it. The New Zealand version is thicker unsqueezable plastic, non-tapering and has no base division. It also does not have any other logos or text on it, but underneath it does have the phrase "Coke adds life" moulded in the plastic.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Very cool Buzz! If you ever run across any extras at a cheap price, I'd be very interested. :cool:

If you have your cup handy one day, please post a photo. :)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I've discovered that I have two different versions of the Droids cup. The one pictured above is smaller, and only has the Coca-Cola Company name on it. The other is bigger, and in addition to the Coca-Cola text, has "7-Eleven Food Stores." I have a third Droids cup I'll dig out and compare, then I will post comparison photos and measurements. :)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I've never seen any more of them, although I can't say I've looked. It would be nice to have a complete set though. I've just had a quick search of the local eBay-clone auction website, but there's none there.

The cup is very handy. It sits on a shelf in the top of my "Star Wars cupboard" (the spare bedroom / office double wardrobe which is full of my Star Wars toys. I often grab it out to catch yucky creepy-crawlies to dump them back outside. :)

I tried to post a photo before when I replied (now that I've added a USB card in my Mac), but found the camera had no batteries in it! D'oh! :rolleyes:

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I haven’t been able to dig out my third Droids cup yet, but it’s probably identical to one of these two.

Here you can see a size comparison and text differences between the two cups. The smaller one measures 13.5 cm tall, 8.4 cm across the top, and 5.5 cm across the bottom.

The larger 7-Eleven cup measures 13.6 cm tall, 9.3 cm across the top, and 6.3 cm across the bottom.

Both cups have mold numbers on the bottom. The 7-Eleven cup also has a maker’s mark: Plastics Inc.

5222156616_dd20a5a71f.jpg

5222125874_e855420846.jpg

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
As it turns out, my third cup is different. It is the same size as the larger 7-Eleven cup, except it says Majik Markets.

5252723880_468b34e1eb.jpg

5252114511_a161a8e617.jpg

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I tried to take a photo on my Star Wars Coke Cup yesterday, but discovered it's not the batteries that are the problem - the camera is broken (or it could be the memory card that's corrupted). I put in brand new batteries and the battery icon showed full power, but quickly dropped to empty within only a couple of minutes. The camera simply refused to actually take a photo and kept powering off when I pressed the "take photo" button. Turning off the camera's LCD screen helped slightly, but the manual viewfinder is way off for framing the image and the couple of images I managed to get before the batteries completely "died" kept cutting off parts of the cup. :(

I did also try using the AV lead to plug the camera into the computer as a sort-of webcam and capture a photo that way, but the quality was hopeless and all the camera's on-screen icons and crosshairs were in the way.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Sorry to hear about your camera troubles. I have an older camera that refuses to run off battery power. I now keep it plugged into the computer and use it as a card reader. Sigh. Can't wait for a new computer.

Well...if and when you get a new camera..please post a photo. I'd still love to see it. Gus and Duncan's SW Guide seems to have small photos of your cup. They have it listed as Australia/New Zealand and Coca-Cola/KFC. They only show four cups: Han/Chewie, Droids, Vader, and X-Wing/TIE. So...you may already own 25% of the set. :)