Cobra joins the Separatist Movement

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I was just thumbing through the new Toys R Us Wishbook and found a picture of the new Cobra Mountain Playset. Being a GI Joe fan, I stopped to check out the photo in detail.

First impression: this sucks. The color scheme is wack,a dn the rock sculpt looks even worse.

Then I noticed something looked a little familiar. See those little machinery domes sticking up on the right part of the base, next to a connection slot on the base? How about that silver flooring at the center, or the huge doorway.

It's none other than the Geonosian Arena -- backwards. Well, it's the base to the arena, plus the doorway turned so it faces back. Just hte latest is a long tradition of using old sculpts to save money.

Attachments

• cobra mountian.jpg
    cobra mountian.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 227

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Of course, this is nothing new. Kenner did this quite often, such as the Stormtrooper rifle turned into a Batman Bat-Signal gun.

Or perhaps the most rehashed line of all, Robin Hood: Prince of Theives. It borrowed both the Ewok Villiage and the Ewok Battle Wagon. The Sherriff figure was half of a Super Powers Lex Luthor figure. It also took net-launchers and other accessories from the Bone Age line.

While not a rehash, Kenner did pay tribute to Star Wars with it's massive Batcave playset they made for Batman Forever. You know, that huge black 3-piece Batcave that cost $80 plus dollars new. (Which I bought a thrift store for $6 (along with the standard re-issued Batcave they put out every year thrown in for free). Anyway, aside from the fact that it would make a really cool Mount Tantiss Emperor's Throne Room, it has some exposed machinery on the floor of the top level. Included among the machinery is something that looks suspiciously like the top view of a TIE FIghter cockpit. Double circle, complete with center line and four slats for the windows. Nifty, eh?

Barada

Saboteur
You forgot the Robin Hood Friar Tuck figure, which was a repainted vintage Gamorrean Guard with a new head.

Barada