Clone Wars to get cinema release

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
From ComingSoon.net ...

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Confirmed for Theatrical Release
Lucasfilm has confirmed that Star Wars: The Clone Wars will premiere in theaters as a feature film on August 15 before becoming a half-hour animated TV series in the fall on Cartoon Network and TNT:

A new era of Star Wars entertainment begins in 2008 when "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," from creator George Lucas, premieres as an all-new feature film in August, followed by the television series debut in the fall, in a partnership announced today between Lucasfilm Ltd., Warner Bros. Pictures and Turner Broadcasting System Inc.

Produced by Lucasfilm Animation, "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" takes audiences on incredible new "Star Wars" adventures, combining the legendary storytelling of Lucasfilm with an eye-popping, signature animation style. "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" will open in North American theaters Friday, August 15. International release dates will be announced soon.​

More follows ...

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
... continued from above.

swclonewarstheatersfh7.jpg

"I felt there were a lot more 'Star Wars' stories left to tell," said George Lucas, executive producer of "Star Wars: The Clone Wars." "I was eager to start telling some of them through animation and, at the same time, push the art of animation forward."

The theatrical debut of "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" is only the beginning of all-new "Star Wars" adventures that continue in the fall when the long-awaited television series premieres on Cartoon Network, followed by airings on TNT. Details regarding international broadcasts will be announced shortly.

"Star Wars: The Clone Wars" showcases an entirely new look and feel to the galaxy far, far away – combining the expansive scope of the "Star Wars" Saga with state-of-the-art computer-generated animation. Each week, viewers will see a thrilling, 30-minute "mini-movie" created by the talented artists at Lucasfilm Animation.

On the front lines of an intergalactic struggle between good and evil, fans young and old will join such favorite characters as Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Padmé Amidala, along with brand-new heroes like Anakin's padawan learner, Ahsoka. Sinister villains – led by Palpatine, Count Dooku and General Grievous – are poised to rule the galaxy. Stakes are high, and the fate of the "Star Wars" universe rests in the hands of the daring Jedi Knights. Their exploits lead to the action-packed battles and astonishing new revelations that fill "Star Wars: The Clone Wars."

"Warner Bros. and Turner are uniquely positioned to deliver on the enormous potential of 'The Clone Wars' because together they offer a world-class opportunity: the theatrical and home-video distribution of Warner Bros. and the broad reach of the Turner Networks," said Micheline Chau, President and Chief Operating Officer of Lucasfilm Ltd. "This terrific combination hits the key demographic groups, ranging from kids to adults, that make up the 'Star Wars' audience."

Dan Fellman, Warner Bros. Pictures President of Domestic Distribution, added, "This is a breakthrough project – returning 'Star Wars' to the big screen in a completely new way while beginning an exciting new chapter in George Lucas' legendary saga. We immediately felt that it would be a fantastic theatrical event and are thrilled to be bringing it to moviegoers."

"Nothing like this has ever been produced for television," said Stuart Snyder, President/COO Turner Animation,Young Adults & Kids Media. "For 30 years, 'Star Wars' has shown that it appeals to a huge breadth of fans. 'The Clone Wars' on Cartoon Network will be appointment television for everyone in the family. We're thrilled to be working with Lucasfilm again and very excited to be playing a role in bringing this remarkable adventure to viewers."

With a new story each week, "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" continues the tradition of thrilling stories, astonishing visuals and extraordinary music that have always been the hallmarks of the "Star Wars" Saga.

Lucasfilm Animation, which is based in Marin County, Calif., with a studio in Singapore, has produced more than 30 all-new episodes of "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," and production continues on even more exciting episodes.​

More new photos can be found here and a new webisode on "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" has debuted here!

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Just when you think you've seen your last ever new SW on the the big screen :)

This looks like its going to be really cool. Can't wait.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Looking very promising. If it's anywhere near as good as the cartoon mini-series, we're in for a treat.

Too bad there will be no FOX fanfare. :(

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
You could always change you mobile phone to use the Fox fanfare as the ringtone, and then have a friend ring it just before the movie starts. ;)

This probably is not the last time Star Wars will hit the big screen. even ignoring the still-planned 3D-eristaion of the original Saga, they have said all along that if the shows are successful there is likely to be more on TV and in cinemas.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
It looks good! So would this be between eps 2 and 3, but would it be after vol 1 of the clone wars but before vol 2?

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
OH MAN! That sneak preview pic a couple posts above looks pretty Awesome!
I can't wait for this to come out. I wrote to Skywalker sound last year about doing some of the voices for this, But I got a letter back from David Acord saying that the voices had already been chosen & that it wasn't up to him to say who's voice got in the film and who's didn't. :( Still it's cool to tell people: ""Yeah I kinda auditioned for this Star Wars Clone Wars mini-series, But got turned down" :D

RYAN-J :)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
wookiee_cookiee;78787 said:
It looks good! So would this be between eps 2 and 3, but would it be after vol 1 of the clone wars but before vol 2?

I'm not sure, but I think that's all right. It is set during the Clone Wars, so has to be between Episodes 2 and 3. Vol 2 of the previous animated show ends just before Episode 3, so the new one can't be set after that, but I'm not sure quite where it fits with vol 1 in the timeline.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Here's the poster for the Clone Wars movie / TV show and a page from the American TV Guide ...

Click on a thumbnail for a bigger version​

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
According to the Australian website MouseDroid.com, down-under fans will (as usual) get the first public viewing of the Clone Wars movie ...

Sorry to our American Cousins but it looks like the Kiwis, followed closely by us Aussies will have the first viewing of the new Star Wars : The Clone Wars movie in August. The down under release is set for the 14th of August, a bit over a day earlier than in the USA taking the international dateline and time zones into account.

:)

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Hey! That poster looks awesome! I'm getting really excited about this coming out!! :D

RYAN-J

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
From Entertainment Weekly's Summer Movie Peview issue:

Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Directed by Dave Filoni

The Lucas camp is extremely tight-lipped with details about this animated Star Wars spin-off, but here's what we know so far. The film will serve as a setup for an upcoming Cartoon Network series, and both take place between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, back when Anakin Skywalker was still one of the good guys, "the ultimate hero of the clone war and a great Jedi Knight," as Filoni puts it. The flim will also introduce Asoka, a female Jedi who, according to the director, "has to hold her own with Anakin and Obi-Wan, which is a tough path for any person." 8/15

Stevetrooper

Galactic Groundpounder
Anakin and Obi-Wan's haircuts look to be somewhere between the vol 1 and 2 clone wars cartoons, plus the clonetrooper has the mandalore style visor from vol 1...so i'd say yes, it is most likely meant to be between the two clone wars volumes.