Classic Trilogy DVD...

BlueHarvest

New Recruit
I wonder if they will release the set before or after X-Mas?

Hopefully, Lucas will include all of the cut footage from all three movies into the set's... They missed a couple for the EP1 DVD, which I was hoping to see, which were not included.

Do you think they will go through all of the trouble for the Classic Trilogy, like they did for the EP1 DVD?

Talon

New Recruit
Well it is going to be after Christmas because there is no way they are coming out this year. In fact, I don't think they will be out for quite sometime to be honest with you. Lucas really wants to be at the helm for the production of these. There will be a lot of work to do in trying to up the quality of the film to digital conversion as well as adding all the extras.
Yes, I think that most definitely the OT will be just as awesome as the E1 DVD. That is part of the reason why it has taken so long. I hope that we can get them soon because I can't handle watching videos anymore. I have been spoiled by DVD!

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
DVD!...DVD!...DVD!
MYSELF AS WELL AS TALON HAVE BEEN SPOILED BY DVD. WOULD YOU BELIEVE I DID NOT OWN A DVD PLAYER AND HELD MYSELF BACK FROM BUYING ONE UNTIL THE RELEASE OF EP1 ON DVD? NOWADYS I'M THE PROUD OWNER OF 67 OF THOSE FLATTEN PLASTIC DONUTS!
WELL, 'GOT OUT OF THE MAIN SUBJECT HERE FOR A MINUTE BUT THE DVD FORMAT HAS INDEED IMPROVED THE VIEWING OF FILMS 100 TIMES AND THEIR 5.1 DIGITAL SOUND EXPOSED THROUGH A HOME THEATER SYSTEM IS SUPERB, NOT TO MENTION THX WILL BLOW YOU AWAY.

WHEN THE CLASSIC TRILOGY BECOMES AVAILABLE ON DVD, IN FACT, WILL BE PACKED WITH SPECIAL FEATURES, FEATURETTES, FACTS, EASTER EGGS, DELETED SCENES AND ALL THE LIKES.

REMEMBER THAT WE LOOK AT THE MOVIES AS PURE ENTERTAINMENT, A WAY TO TRANSPORT OURSELVES TO A SUBREAL WORLD AND HAVE FUN WITH THEM BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, LUCAS AND COMPANY NOT ONLY LOOK AT THE FILMS AS A FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT BUT ALSO AS A BUSINESS; AN INCREDIBLE MONEY MAKING MACHINE WHICH HAS TURNED ONE ORDINARY MAN WITH AN INCREDIBLE VISION INTO A BILLIONARE.

THEREFORE WHEN THE TRILOGY GETS RELEASED (AND AS TALON SAID, NOT THIS YEAR), WHAT WILL MAKE IT DEFINITELY ATTRACTIVE TO THE FANS AND AUDIENCES IN GENERAL?; WHAT WOULD MAKE THE MASSES BUY THEM, MAKING THE DVDS AN INCREDIBLE MONEY SOURCE FOR LUCASFILMS? THE ANSWER LIES IN THEIR FEATURES:

IT WON'T BE JUST THE FACT OF THE MOVIES HITTING THE DVD FORMAT FOR THEIR FIRST TIME AND THAT US, FANS, WITHOUT A DOUBT WILL BITE ON THIS BAIT AND SHELL OUT THE MEGA BUCKS ON THEM, BUT ALSO THE PROVISION OF A GREAT COVER PRESENTATION AND AN ARRAY OF ATTRACTIONS WITHIN THE DVDs TO MAKE THEM APPEALING TO MOVIE VIEWERS IN GENERAL.

THE DVDS WILL BE ANOTHER MONEY SUCKING MACHINE FOR LUCASFILMS WHO IN RETURN WILL PAY US BACK WITH MORE INCREDIBLE PRODUCTS AND WILL KEEP OUR MINDS AND SPIRITS HIGH IN THE INCREDIBLE UNIVERSE THAT "STAR WARS" IS.

ON THE SUBJECT OF "QUALITY IMPROVEMENT" FOR THE FILMS, I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY WHEN THE MOVIES WERE RERELEASED IN THEATERS BACK IN 1997, CERTAIN SCENES WERE NEVER REALLY "IMPROVED".

TAKE FOR INSTANCE THE RANCOR SCENE. DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE COLOR IN THE MOVIE WAS BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE AND THAT MANY OF THE SCENES WERE PROPERLY "WORKED ON" WITH COMPUTERIZED EQUIPMENT MAKING THEM VIRTUALLY FLAWLESS, THE RANCOR SCENE WAS LEFT WITH BLACK BORDERS ALL AROUND THE BODY OF THE MONSTER, LOOKING SOMEHOW WHEN COMPARE TO THE REST OF THE FILM, "OUT OF PLACE."

PERHAPS THE IDEA BEHIND LEAVING SOME SCENES NOT TOTALLY FINISHED, WAS TO KEEP FANS SALIVATING FOR A BETTER PRODUCT AND DVD MIGHT HAD BEEN FORESEEN AS THAT TOOL OF IMPROVEMENT.

WHEN IT COMES TO DELETED SCENES, BIGGS DARKLIGHTER FAREWELL TO LUKE SKYWALKER IN TATOOINE SHOULD BE INCLUDED. IT DOES NOT BREAK AWAY FROM THE FILM AND IN FACT GIVES US A BETTER VIEW OF BIGGS, WHO WAS SEEN VERY SHORTLY IN THE ORIGINAL VERSION.

REST ASSURE WE WILL SEE FEATURETTES ON "HOW IT WAS MADE" PROPER SCENES TO FIT IN THAT SUBJECT WOULD BE THE "CHASE THROUGH ENDOR," "FLIGHT AND GROUND BATTLES" AND SO FORTH. ALL OF THIS, OF COURSE, TAKEN TO A BIGGER EXTEND THAN THE PRODUCERS DID WITH THE DOCUMENTARY INCLUDED IN THE VHS WIDESCREEN VERSION A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK.

WHEN WILL THE DVDS BE AVAILABLE?... IT IS HARD TO TELL. BUT ANYTHING REALLY IS BOUND TO HAPPEN AND SURPRISES COULD TAKE PLACE. WHAT LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THIS IS THE SUDDEN ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE "PHANTOM MENACE" ON DVD AFTER WE HAD HEARD SO MANY TIMES BEFORE IT WAS GOING TO TAKE A LONG TIME OR PERHAPS UNTIL THE END OF THE PREQUELS TO BE TRANSFERED TO DVD AS A COMPLETE SET INCLUDING THE SEQUELS. THEN.. PUFF!!, THERE IT WAS ANNOUNCED ALL OF A SUDDEN. A STRONG REQUEST BY FANS AND ITS MONEY MAKING CAPABILITIES PLAYED THE TRICK ON IT.

I DO FORESEE A COMPLETE SET INCLUDING THE SIX FILMS WITHIN A YEAR OR SO FROM THE END OF THE PREQUELS, SAY BETWEEN 2006/ 2007

WHETHER IS SOONER THAN LATER OR VICE VERSA, WE WILL SEE THE REST OF THE "STAR WARS" FILMS INMORTALIZED IN ROUNDED SHINY PLASTIC AND, THEY WILL BECOME A CLASSIC AND INDESPENSIBLE ENTERTAINMENT SOURCE TO HAVE IN ANYONE'S LIBRARY OF FILMS.

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
ON THE SUBJECT OF THE TRILOGY ON DVDS..HAS ANY OF YOU HEARD OF THE TRILOGY BEING RELEASED IN ASIA USING THE DVD FORMAT?

RECENTLY I RECEIVED AN E-MAIL FROM SOMEONE I MADE A TRADE WITH SOMETIME AGO, OFFERING A DVD VERSION OF THE TRILOGY FROM ASIA FOR $45.00 U.S FOR THE THREE MOVIES ALL TOGETHER.

HAS ANY OF YOU HEARD ABOUT THIS? AND IF SO, IS IT PLAYABLE WITH DVD PLAYERS FOR THIS AREA? ALSO IF IT COMES WITH ORIENTAL SUBTITLES WILL I BE ABLE TO TURN THEM OFF?

I HOPE SOMEONE OUT THERE KNOWS ABOUT THIS AS I'M INTERESTED IN PURCHASING THEM BUT I RATHER FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THEM FIRST SINCE IT IS A NEWBIE TO ME

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE OR HELP YOU CAN THROW ON THIS SUBJECT

Deathstar

Visit vacation paradise!
Ouch! Now you guys got me on the hook. I would also like to see the Tril on DVD. I have seen lots of Stills on the deleted scenes, like Solo with the girl friend in the Cantina. Wonder what that was about?

It's not only DVD but what your hooked up to. Mine is on a 35" Mitsubishi, Technics w/quad 3 foot speakers 135 watts per chanel.
and a Pioneer DVD player. When I put on the Episode I DVD, I was glancing at the newspaper at the same time. When the SW Theme came on, I was blown out of the chair! Scared the heck out of me. Took a couple of seconds to recover. Love that music!

I agree with the money aspect of new releases. Art and creativity is one thing in this country, but to produce Art cost real money and to produce Art in films, it must be profit driven. Unfortunately Lucas Films are not connected to the Endowment to the Arts or we would have seen the Tril DVD sometime ago.

I have not seen the Tril on Asian DVD yet. If I do find it, gotta be a bootleg and probably the straight version...My guess. I do shop in China Town every week or so. I did find Crouching Tiger-Hidden Dragon in Chinese lingo w/no subtitles long before the English release.

Barada

Saboteur
I see lots of the classic trilogy up for sale on ebay on DVD. Of course, I am not interested. They are most likely bootlegs, probably copied off the laserdiscs. The quality is probably poor as a result, and there is no guarantee they will play on North American players. Anyone own a copy of these that would like to comment?

Barada

P.S. Hey guys! Look at me! Post #100! I think I write too much, and probably bore the hell outta everyone :yawn:

vfermi

Consultant
DVD...bootleg

earlier this year at the pittsburgh comic show thingy in monroeville (where i met aurra sing hehehe), one of the comic dealers was selling DVD trilogy. Very bootlegged, no 5.1, no thx, etc etc. Not worth the (i think) 90 bucks they were charging. I'll wait for the real thing thankyouverymuch. :hurl:

Talon

New Recruit
The Asian DVD's that you are referring to are in fact just copied laserdiscs. I am not too sure about compatibility with players outside of the Asian area.
If you really can't wait or stand to watch the OT on VHS anymore you might want to get a set. Personally, I can wait because I can only imagine how incredible the DVD's will be.

Redleader

New Recruit
I agree with Deathstar. You definately aren't getting your money's worth out of a DVD without a sound system. It changes the whole movie experience.

I bet we won't get the Classic DVDs for a while. George is too busy on the new stuff right now I would think. I would say a year or two after the last movie is released.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
I wish that they would put out Star Wars: A New Hope out next year, for the 25th anniversary, but Lucas has a lot on his plate with EP 2 and everything. But it is a nice dream....

:ufo:

Ishi Tib

New Recruit
HEY GUYS,
I HAVE LEARNED FROM VERY RELIABLE SOURCES WITHIN THE MOVIE BUSINESS, GEORGE IS ACTUALLY PLANNING ON RELEASING EP 2 ON DVD MUCH, MUCH SOONER THAN HE DID WITH EP 1. AS A MATTER OF FACT THE RELEASE OF "ATTACK OF THE CLONES" ON DVD IS SOMETHING GEORGE HAS ALREADY DISCUSSED WITH CERTAIN PEOPLE. THEREFORE, THE TWO YEAR WAITING PERIOD WE WERE ON WITH THE "PHANTOM MENACE" WILL NOT APPLY FOR "ATTACK OF THE CLONES."
THIS IS NOT A RUMOR I'M TRYING TO START, BUT ACTUALLY WORD UP BY SOMEONE I CAN TRUST WHEN IT COMES TO THIS SORT OF THING. I GUESS TIME WILL TELL IF WHAT I'M STATING WAS TRUE OR NOT.
LET'S KEEP OUR FINGERS CROSSED AND HOPE FOR AN EARLY RELEASE ON THE TRILOGY AS WELL, ALTHOUGH THAT SEEMS TO BE NOT POSSIBLE IN THE NEAR FUTURE, REMEMBER MOST OF LUCAS' WORK FORCE IS CONCENTRATING ON EP 2.

Talon

New Recruit
I agree with my buddy Ishi on this. I have too been informed that the E2 DVD will be released next fall/winter to coincide with the holiday season. George Lucas has been reported as saying that future DVD releases involving Star Wars will be more on line with the standard releases time of a movie from theater to DVD. Hopefully we will get to watch AOTC from the comfort of our homes one year from now.