Cheap and effective helmet stand

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
So today I purchased a helmet stand for my Royal Guard helmet.....by improvising. There are a number of ways to obtain a helmet stand......make one out of pvc pipe, wood dowels and plywood, buying an actual stand ($$$). I'd planned on building one. Then it occurred to me. Buy a floor lamp. At work a couple months ago, a built about 20 different floor lamps.....they have everything you need: a sturdy, round, weighted base.......a sturdy post...and even a pommel to balance the helmet on!

So.....on my lunch break I picked up a Room Essentials floor lamp at Target for only $8.99. It comes in black (074-02-0411) or silver, and for $12.99 you cold buy similar lamps with a reading light attached that come in a variety of colors like blue and pink (I saw these online, but they are sold in stores only).

Anyway, all you have to do is pull the power cord out of the metal poles and you're ready to make a stand. You can either cut the wires, and then pull them out (takes about 30 seconds), or you can unscrew the light socket, unscrew the wires from the socket, and then pull the cord free undamaged and perfectly reusuable (takes about 2 minutes).

What you get:

1 black metal (or silver) round base weighted with sand
1-2 pole lengths, depending on your desired height
1 housing for light bulb/shade (makes your pommel for the helmet to rest on)

I've found that two poles is a good height that really makes the helmet stand out. One pole also works, just barely tall enough to hold a South American helmet (it keeps the helmet floating mere centimeters above the surface of the table). With one pole, the base is nearly invisible.

The pommel I plan on covering with foam, or possibly just a black sock to add just a little padding. While there is nothing for it to scratch, the sound of a metal edge running cross fibre-glass makes me cringe. The padding will just give me peace of mind, especially since the main purpose of the stand is to protect the helmet first, then display it.

Anyway, I wanted to share this since it cost almost nothing and took about 5 mintues to assemble. :)

Warren
Skel

3608373543_5c44d10fc7.jpg

3608368345_fed7c7230a.jpg

3609177024_9267a6a5f0.jpg

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Fantastic idea Warren! :D I'll have to use this on my helmets. ;) Thanks to for the photos.

RYAN-J