[Book] Star Wars: A New Dawn

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
This week's junk email from Del Ray Books contained a letter from the autor of Star Wars: A New Dawn and a link to read the first 50 pages of the book online.

From the Desk of John Jackson Miller

Dear Readers,

Every story has a beginning. When the story is Star Wars, readers know there have been quite a few beginnings, indeed!

The first film in 1977 was the beginning, of course — but then when it was rereleased, it was suddenly subtitled Episode IV, indicating something had come before. In 1999, we finally got Episode I, another beginning. But by then, far earlier tales had been told, filling in the generations during which, as Obi-Wan Kenobi told us, "the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic." We got the origins of the Galaxy Far, Far Away — and the origins of the origins.

Most of my early work for Star Wars was in that ancient pre-Episode I period, writing comics and prose for Knights of the Old Republic, Knight Errant, and Lost Tribe of the Sith. When I finally wrote my Star Wars: Kenobi novel last year, it was, in a timeline sense, the closest I had ever gotten to the films I had grown up with. But even it was a beginning, telling of Obi-Wan's first days of exile on desert Tatooine. I've never written anything set after Return of the Jedi; preludes and precursors seem to be my stock in trade.

For the rest of John Jackson Miller's letter, click here!

Each week we're giving away the first 50 pages of an awesome Del Rey or Spectra book — for FREE!

• Star Wars: A New Dawn
    by John Jackson Miller
    Click here to read

A_New_Dawn_cover-197x300.jpg

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I have never understood nor been able to find out (despite knowing people in the publishing industry!) why they simply don't release the hard back and paperback at the same time ... just another ridiculously silly management decision, same as Hasbro's idea of short-packing some figures. :(

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Another weird thing is the pricing - why is the US edition of the novels usually cheaper than the UK edition?? Is it just greed by the different publishers?

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Books (and pretty much everything else) are expensive here in New Zealand too, but the real problem is that none of the bookshop chains actually stock the Star Wars novels any more. :(

I now get them from BookDespository.co.uk which has free shipping, but you do "get what you pay for" since they're shipped in a barely padded paper envelope, which means if the books sometimes get slight dings / dents and if it gets left in the letterbox it may well get wet on rainy day.

Possibly one glint of light at the end of the tunnel is that Penguin Books has recently bought up Random House. Since I know someone who works at Penguin Books, and Random House distributes (supposedly) the Star Wars novels here, I may be able to get the Star Wars novels direct from them (as I do with most of the Dorling Kindersley books which are distributed by Penguin Books).

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
My local bookstore doesn't stock much Star Wars stuff either. I then have to order it in through them, which is obviously more expensive since they are the middle man. I just order from Book Depository now also. I've had a couple of books arrived dented and I've contacted them, they shipped out another one free of charge.