Battlestar Galactica Discussion - Season 2 - Episode 20 - "Lay Down Your Burdens, p2"

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
This is the thread to discuss the latest episode of Battlestar Galactica. This thread will contain spoilers.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
My recording of the show cut off right after the cylons started marching down the street. Anything exciting happen right at the end?

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Re: Battlestar Galactica Discussion - Season 2 - Episode 20 - "Lay Down Your Burdens,

Borsk said:
My recording of the show cut off right after the cylons started marching down the street. Anything exciting happen right at the end?
Kara and Helo vow to keep fighting till the very end and that's about it.

I was totally blown away with this ending, hopefully they don't lose focus on what they're doing because I remember Alias doing a time jump and that resulted IMO the show losing it's way and become just another 1 problem to be solved per episode show.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Battlestar Galactica Discussion - Season 2 - Episode 20 - "Lay Down Your Burdens,

I'm not sure that I agree with this, but some people are suggesting that everything that happened in the time jump was Baltar's dream.

I thought it was pretty crazy that: A) Adama let the Galactica fall apart like that B) Galactica and Pegasus jumped away to leave everyone behind.

For whatever reason, I didn't expect Dean Stockwell (the priest) to be a cylon. After you know that he is, it seems obvious that they would make the big name guest star be a cylon. I dunno. I thought he was human last week.

Jedi_Joel

Agent

Borsk said:
I'm not sure that I agree with this, but some people are suggesting that everything that happened in the time jump was Baltar's dream.

I thought it was pretty crazy that: A) Adama let the Galactica fall apart like that B) Galactica and Pegasus jumped away to leave everyone behind.
A. Well what exactly could Adama do about the fleet being undermanned and disrepair? In reality, not too much becuase the military is a professional one, not a conscripted one, so he can't just easily swoop down to New Caprica and whisk away a handful of people when needed. Baltar also issued an executive order mandating a settlement be established planetside, which to a majority of the fleet was very enticing as they have been on the run for nearly a year and have lost a sense of home.

B. It's not really crazy if you recall that Galactica barely had enough to form a training squadron, let alone keep the ship operational. You also saw how long it took the entire BS to report in as ready, when it takes that long to have a ready status, you won't be the least bit effective in protecting the settlement. So it didn't really make sense to needlessly throw away lives that will have little effect on the pre-determined outcome.

Borsk said:
For whatever reason, I didn't expect Dean Stockwell (the priest) to be a cylon. After you know that he is, it seems obvious that they would make the big name guest star be a cylon. I dunno. I thought he was human last week.
Well that was their idea, to keep you guessing. I had an feeling that he might of been a Cylon last week when he started talking about how the gods had forsaken the fleet, etc, not the type of phrases you'd expect from a religious leader.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member

I was pointing out that it is crazy to take away resources from the military when there are cylons trying to hunt down and kill them. So... I don't understand how Adama would have let it get to the point that they couldn't effectively guard the settlement. Maybe Baltar made him do it. But, then again, Adama had no problems defying Roslin - why couldn't he defy Baltar.

As far as Adama and Apollo taking their ships and leaving. I don't disagree that it was the right thing to do from a tactical standpoint. But, it's just amazing that it got to that point.

If the whole thing isn't just Baltar's dream, then I think next season will have quite a few interesting storylines.

Jedi_Joel

Agent

Borsk said:
I was pointing out that it is crazy to take away resources from the military when there are cylons trying to hunt down and kill them. So... I don't understand how Adama would have let it get to the point that they couldn't effectively guard the settlement. Maybe Baltar made him do it. But, then again, Adama had no problems defying Roslin - why couldn't he defy Baltar.
Because Baltar had the backing of the people who had a euphoric vision of living on a planet once again, and people do make poor decisions when their emotions are involved.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member

Jedi_Joel said:
Because Baltar had the backing of the people who had a euphoric vision of living on a planet once again, and people do make poor decisions when their emotions are involved.
Right, but I just don't see Adama buying into it and he's shown the ability to disobey the "president" before.

Jedi_Joel

Agent

Borsk said:
Right, but I just don't see Adama buying into it and he's shown the ability to disobey the "president" before.
I didn't mean Adama bought into it, rather a majority of the fleet including both Military and Civie Personnel did, and probably resulted in them abandoning their posts for a life on New Caprica. It also wouldn't surprise me in the least if Baltar encouraged it too. Anyways, how would Adama stop the exodus of people?

And AmShak, when are you going to join the discussion, or did you not watch this episode?

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member

It's like the part in a scary movie where the girl runs upstairs to get away from the killer. Adama could have left and taken his crew with him the moment Baltar was elected. The notion that they can settle anywhere and be safe from the Cylons is idiotic. Especiallly when they still have Cylon agents in the fleet.

I'm not mad at the show for doing this. It was a great episode and I think it will create some interesting situations in future episodes. But, it just makes the characters seem dumb. Adama seemed to give up on his core values and went along with everyone else (doing what was popular instead of what was right).

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
i haven't said anything because i'm not sure what to make of this last episode.

it was suggested that this was a dream... baltar's i would assume. i will be disapointed if it does turn out to be a dream.

if it were a dream, it would explain why adama didn't do anything.
if it were a dream, it would make the dean stockwell character more interesting if they brought him back (is he a cylon or was he just one in a dream)

this show seems to like to use the "flash-back" (i'm not a big fan of this) and it seems that they have run out of "good" flash-back stuff..... this would certainly give them the chance to do a ton of flash-backs over the last year ... if it is not a dream.

either way, i don't much care for it. the dream theory seems cheesy but the alternative isn't good either ... it's like they are starting all over again.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member

Borsk said:
B) Galactica and Pegasus jumped away to leave everyone behind.
i don't see where they had much of a choice given the situation

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member

Jedi_Joel said:
A. Well what exactly could Adama do about the fleet being undermanned and disrepair? In reality, not too much becuase the military is a professional one, not a conscripted one, so he can't just easily swoop down to New Caprica and whisk away a handful of people when needed. Baltar also issued an executive order mandating a settlement be established planetside, which to a majority of the fleet was very enticing as they have been on the run for nearly a year and have lost a sense of home.
given the conditions on the planet, i would think there would have been plenty of people who would prefer to stay aboard the galactica... i would have

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member

Jedi_Joel said:
i think we could clearly see that whatever euphoric vision they might have had was gone

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
one more thing to consider... these guys doing BSG are old trek guys .....

adama did have the mustache, so perhaps this is a glimpse of the evil alternate bsg universe :evil:

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't they say, a while ago, that there are 8 different Cylon models in the fleet? They've revealed 5 so far. Adama knows that there should be 3 more in the fleet.

Jedi_Joel

Agent

Borsk said:
Didn't they say, a while ago, that there are 8 different Cylon models in the fleet? They've revealed 5 so far. Adama knows that there should be 3 more in the fleet.
Actually there are 12 Cylon Models out there, 7 of them having been revealed:
101px-Xena_closeup.jpg

Number Three
97px-Doral_closeup.jpg

Number Five
99px-Six_closeup.jpg

Number Six
99px-Boomer_closeup.jpg

Number Eight
99px-Leoben_closeup.jpg

Leoben Conoy
100px-The_Farm-Simon.jpg

Simon
103px-Cavil_closeup.jpg

Cavil

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member

Right, 12 models total, but I believe Sharon stated that 8 of the models are in the fleet. 5 of those 8 have been discovered. 3, 5, 6, 8 and Cavil. This leaves 3 that are hidden in the fleet still.

Jedi_Joel

Agent

Borsk said:
Right, 12 models total, but I believe Sharon stated that 8 of the models are in the fleet. 5 of those 8 have been discovered. 3, 5, 6, 8 and Cavil. This leaves 3 that are hidden in the fleet still.
You forgot that Leoben Conoy was discovered in the fleet as well, that's what the Season 1 Episode Flesh and Blood was about.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member

Jedi_Joel said:
You forgot that Leoben Conoy was discovered in the fleet as well, that's what the Season 1 Episode Flesh and Blood was about.
Yup, I had forgotten that episode. That still leaves at least 2 Cylons among the fleet. That's still enough of a reason to stay on guard.

However, I got to thinking, perhaps they found the rest of them during the year that we haven't seen yet. Half of next season will probably be flashback city.