Batman vs Superman

Barada

Saboteur
Just read this on another site, and thought you guys might be interested. Sounds okay to me, if they do it well.

From an article at comics2film.com....

With all of the comic book heroes coming to the big screen it was only a matter of time that they would start pitting them against one another. Well according to Moviehole and IESB the long rumored movie Batman Vs. Superman is still in the works, to some degree. The film was supposed to be helmed by Wolfgang Peterson who abandoned the picture to do Troy. The studios decided that they were still interested in doing superhero movies but opted instead to focus on just one character at a time. This just means that they are holding on to the VS. idea until they have just about milked the franchises for all their worth. According to the rumors the script for Batman Vs. Superman, by Se7en writer Andrew Kevin Walker, sees an aged Bruce Wayne - who lost Robin, the boy wonder, some five years before - retired from Batman duties and retiring with new fiancée Elizabeth. Unfortunately, Batman's old foes return just after their wedding - namely, The Joker - and Elizabeth is murdered. Hell-bent on getting revenge, Bruce dons the cape again in a mission to destroy the clown prince of crime. Superman, fearing Batman is about to cross the line and become a murderer like the criminals he chases, ends up clashing with the Caped Crusader over his motives - and the heroes are set on a violent collision against each other. Unbeknownst to the heroes, their actions are falling in line with a villainous plot by Lex Luthor, who is responsible for the resurrection of the Joker.

What do you guys think?

Barada

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Interesting. I has teh potential to be really good, but I doubt they could pull it off. And it'd almost be a re-work of Dark Knight Returns.....which would get people riled up either way you look at it.

I'd kill to have some good comic book crossover movies....but there just haven't been any since the 80s. :( Not counting the Matt Murdock appearance in Elektra. Which they deleted. That was the only redeeming quality of that movie and they deleted it. :mad: And those 80s appearances in the Hulk don't really qualify as good. Campy ... in a good way though.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
My problem is that Batman is not a superhero in the sense that he has super powers. In fact, the latest Batman movie seemed to focus on making Batman more of a regular human. I'm not sure they can switch gears and suddenly give Batman the ability to legitimately fight Superman. Realistically, Superman should easily win any fight with Batman (<--this isn't an entertaining story).

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
This movie idea was never about Batman and Superman physcially fighting (Batman knows about Kryptonite and Superman is stronger when it's not around) ... it was more a case of conflicting morals, ideals, etc.

Having said that the movie is :hurl: and :yawn:

Then again, it's not a Star Wars movie so I no real interest in watching it anyway. I gave up trying to read the comics YEARS ago because all the constant changes were simply making a horrible, confused mess. :(

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I think part of my problem is that Batman's "world", at least as portrayed in the most recent film, is going for a more realistic look. Superman is anything but realistic.

I would rather see another Batman movie like Batman Begins.

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
I don't like the idea at all. Aliens Vs Predator and Freddy Vs Jason proves this point. Just stick to seperate movies.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Jedi Freezeman said:
I thought Batman and Superman were buds? JLA??? Granted they had their different styles.

Their different styles is the whole point of the movie (as well as some episodes of the animated shows and no doubt a few comics) and is where the "vs" conflict comes in.

Barada

Saboteur
Yes, it all has to do with Batman dishing out 'vigilante justice', while Superman is the ultimate law-abiding citizen.

Barada

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Except when Superman is hit by Red Kryptonite.

Of course, the one true Batman, Adam West's TV version, would never even think of doing anything even slightly illegal ... and he had the best Batmobile ever. :)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Well...the comics have dealt with this theme many times. Batman and SUpes are both heroes...yet are almost completely opposite. That's where the good story telling comes in. I believe therew as a story where the JLA got pissed cause they found out Batman had files on every single member and plans for how to defeat them...just in case they went bad. (X-Men had a similar scenario because Professor X had files on how to take out any single mutant...X-Men included....if they got out of hand). The whole problem solving..how to beat a more powerful enemy story has been done..and is quite entertaining.

But not necessarily in a movie format. I enjoyed AVP...but it was hardly award-winning story-telling. The original comic from the early 90s was quite good, although i haven't read the whole thing.

The problem is when it is approached as a VS movie....then they fill in the blanks to make it work. You need a good story that happens to have the VS scenario in it.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
I'd avoid a VS movie like the plague!

Tons of heroes out there to be done yet anyway. There were rumors at one time of an Avengers movie, but I think they should do the individuals first. Anyone remember Rom - Spaceknight and stuff like that?

Super hero movies to date have been a bit of a mixed bag :-

Superman
Batman
Phantom
Hulk
Punisher
Xmen
Daredevil
Elecktra

Anyone think of any more?

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Spider-Man
Smallville (on TV)
Flash (on TV)
Green Lantern (old TV show)
Mighty Mouse (old TV show)

Planned / in-the-works:
Wonder Woman
Aquaman (on TV)

mynock11

Sith Medic
Im pretty happy with any superhero movie comming out of either Marvel or DC right now. I have been a huge comics reader all my life and own over 5,000 comics . mostly marvel.Crossover movies would be awsome if they could do it like the recent movvies of Spidey and FF4. VRs. movies would be great all you have to do is watch some of the batman cartoons on cartoon network to get the story line. "It's All A Big Missunderstanding" Then they team up to beat the villian. I personally would like to see a Captain America Movie not like the cheesy ones of the past.But big budget like spidey.So there is my 2cents.....

Oh another superhero movie out is Spawn.I would like to see some movies made from the Image comic book line also. Wetworks would be a good one.

Here is some info on wetworks for those scratching there heads.
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/w/wetworks.htm