Batman Begins

How do you rank Batman Begins?

• Total voters

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it grossed almost $50 mill this weekend. I'm guessing some of you saw it. What were your thoughts?

(btw, ROTS is almost to $348 mill)

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
seeing it tomorrow, looks pretty good on the trailer playing on the TV. I'll post a score out of ten then....

Jedi_Joel

Agent
9/10 for me. Honestly, I'm a non-comic fan, the cartoon was great, and this movie was awesome! I would have to say this movie ties Sin City for the best Non-SW film of the year. This a well done movie, the acting is superb, and the batmobile is awesome! A definate must see.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Christian Bale was great. I think all of the cast was excellent, especially Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman. I liked what happened with Liam's character, I wasn't expecting that. I liked Katie Holmes, but I kept thinking about Tom Cruise every time I saw her! Curses you Tom Cruise!! :bash: Cillian Murphy is a hottie! I guess I like creeps. :angel:

I thought it had the right amount of humor, like when Bruce is trapped and Alfred says something about how he does all those pushups for nothing if he can't free himself. And when he's making excuses for all the reasons why he wants to borrow the techie stuff. :D

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I'll try to avoid talking about the details of the movie at this point, but I will say that this is easily the best Batman movie. It's a lot more "real" than the other Batman movies. I liked it better than Sin City. Oh, and I didn't think about Tom Cruise once during the entire movie. ;)

And, as a sidenote:

The theater where I saw this had a big promotion about the fact that they turned one of their theaters into an IMAX theater. Batman was promoted as being the first movie to see as an "IMAX Experience". So, obviously, I went and saw it at this theater with everyone else (theater was packed). Tickets for the IMAX experience cost $3 bucks more than regular tickets (so, for the matinee, wound up being $9). Anyway, it turns out that the only thing they showed that was IMAX was the IMAX logo before the movie started. The movie itself was just the regular movie shown (at regular movie dimensions) on a larger screen. The bottom line is that I'm not recommending the "Batman IMAX Experience" to anyone else...just see it in the regular theater at the regular price.

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
SPOILER ALERT OVER HERE!

Never before has the Scarecrow been soooooo hot!

Seriously though... I went into this movie with low expectations. However, I was more than pleasantly surprised. Not only was I impressed with the characters, but I absolutely loved the surrealistic scenes created by the Scarecrow's insanity-inducing hallucinogens. I think I would have been even happier if the Scarecrow played a bigger part in the movie. Oh, and Michael Caine was terrific and so funny as Alfred. Also, like WookieCookie every time I looked at Katie Holmes I was like... Tom Cruise, Tom Cruise, Tom Cruise. Overall I left the theater with a resounding "yay!" in my heart! It was so much fun!

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Where's the 0/10 (or even -100/10)?? :(

It's just another in Hollyweird's usual "let's redo the franchise our way and stuff the fans" style of movie-making. :flame:

That is THE most :censored: awful "Batmobile" I have ever seen.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Buzz Bumble said:

It's just another in Hollyweird's usual "let's redo the franchise our way and stuff the fans" style of movie-making. :flame:

*scratches head* Huh? What was wrong with the movie? Also, give the Batmobile time, he had to work with what he had at the time.

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
*SPOILERS*

Brilliant movie. I wen't in with low expectations after the last few
Batman movies and I was very surprised. Such a deep, thought provoking
storyline.

Christian Bale was perfect as Batman, the suit was great to see like
the originals again. The Tumbler/Batmobile was pretty cool but I
prefer the old style Batmobile myself. It had characters you cared
about and actually developed throughout the movie and good casting
overall infact. Scarecrow was always a favourite of mine so nice to
see him, action sequences were cool and not over the top, I didn't
expect Liam Neeson's character to be a bad guy either, a great plot
twist. I loved the ending, hinting at the Joker for the sequel.

Best of all the Batman movies I think. 9/10

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Buzz Bumble said:

I'm glad whoever decided to redo the franchise redid it. The Joel Shumacher Batman movies were aweful. I'm not saying that Batman Begins has a bulletproof story, but it just felt more like something that could actually happen because the story allowed for somewhat logical reasons for things happening the way they did. For example, the Batmobile didn't look like the traditional Batmobile. However, logically, it doesn't make sense for Batman have something like that (the Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher-type batmobiles) sitting around at the point that the movie takes place.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Jedi Daniel said:
I loved the ending, hinting at the Joker for the sequel.

I'm not sure how they're gonna do this. They could just say that this movie takes place right before the first Tim Burton movie (which had the Joker in it). If they do a sequel, it may not have the Joker in it.

Nightwing

New Recruit
Buzz Bumble said:

It is the most realistic batmobile there is, which is the whole point of all of Batman's gadgets in this film: they all exist

Forget about ROTS: Sin City and Batman Begins are the films to see this year.(I've already got SC and ROTS on DVD and am waiting for BB)

BB IS Batman: Year One(with the exception of that they go to the opera instead of seeing Mask of Zorro

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
According to the comic, the Joker is NOT the one that kills Bruce Wayne's parents, correct?

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Borsk said:
I'm not sure how they're gonna do this. They could just say that this movie takes place right before the first Tim Burton movie (which had the Joker in it). If they do a sequel, it may not have the Joker in it.

are they trying to make these fit with the other movies? i think that's a bad idea. i used to be up on my batman trivia but i was never really into the origins .... i'm pretty sure the joker didn't kill his parents and the joker should not have died in the burton version, although i didn't care for that version of the joker.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
AmShak said:
are they trying to make these fit with the other movies? i think that's a bad idea. i used to be up on my batman trivia but i was never really into the origins .... i'm pretty sure the joker didn't kill his parents and the joker should not have died in the burton version, although i didn't care for that version of the joker.
I have no idea. I guess if the movie tanked, they could say it's a one-off and a prequel to Burton's movie. If it does well, they can say this is a new franchise and have a new Batman movie featuring the Joker. I wonder who they'd cast as the Joker...

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I liked this movie a lot. I too went in expecting bad things, and was pleasantly surprised. Not sure if it's my favorite....movie, Batman, Bruce Wayne..etc. I've got so many different versions already in my mind (comics, other movies, cartoons), but all said it was good stuff. Scarecrow was amazing. It would have been nice if there were more of him. I actually fell for the Liam switcheroo. I think that was one f the things that ahd me fearing the worst.....I'd seen the cardback of the new toys and it named the bald guy as R'as Al Ghul. I was like...that's not wa R'as looks like.

From what I understand this move is not meant to tie in to the other ones, but at the same time it doesn't overlap them.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, the Joker has always been simply "the Joker"...no alias. And the Waynes killed by Joe Chill. The first movie (1989) simply made Joker and Joe Chill the same person.

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
Due to a small family crisis, had to post pone seeing Batman today. i'll wait till next week (half price Tuesdays) before i can add to this little chat about it......

Nightwing

New Recruit
Borsk said:
I'd like it if they did not keep these movies connected to the previous bat-flicks. IMO, they are far better - including the Burton ones - they really get down the the darkness of the dark knight.

Plus I never liked Jack Nicholson as the joker. He wasn't playing the joker: he was just playing himself

Thank god they have introduced Jim Gordon. Gary Oldman was brillaint as the only good cop in Gotham. Now they need to bring in Harvey Bullock!