Discussion in 'Site Updates & Announcements' started by Borsk, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Borsk

Borsk Administrator Staff Member

As the first step in a new feature on in the forums, I've redone all the official TBS avatars. While doing this, I removed, changed and added avatars. If your avatar changed, I replaced it with the closest match in the updated set. If, for some reason, I accidently deleted your avatar, it's very easy to re-add it in your user control panel. Currently there are 101 avatars to choose from. They look something like this:

[​IMG]

To browse through all of them, click here. Note that they are divided into several categories (You'll want to pick a different category to see more).

For people that would like to update their custom avatar:

The new dimensions are 90 pixels wide by 50 pixels tall. If you would like a template, I can make a .PSD file available. The reason that you might want to update your custom avatar is to match a new feature that I'll announce in a few days. You don't *have to* update your avatar. I'm only trying to make the process easier for those that choose to.

2. Jedi_Joel

Jedi_Joel Agent

So what are these funky things next to our avatars?

3. Borsk

I'm not quite ready to fully explain that (I'm still working on it). But this is what I'm talking about when I mention "matching your avatar" in the first post. The "funky things" are designed to match the dimensions of the new avatar set.

4. Borsk

I'm attaching a file that might help if you feel like doing some photoshop work.

When you open the file, you'll find 2 layers. The "border" layer is the black border that surrounds the avatar. As long as you don't add anything in the space outside this border, it will look good on any color forum background. The "content" layer is a solid color that has been cut to fit inside the border. It also has a slight bevel applied to it.

To make your own avatar:

1) Paste the image that you'd like to use and resize it to fit within the border.
    2) Use the magic wand tool to select the inside of border (make sure you're on the border layer).
    3) Select the inverse of your selection. Either through the SELECT menu or by pressing ctrl+shift+I
    4) Switch to the layer that has the image you just pasted and then press the delete button. This will remove the excess part of the image that is beyond your border.
    5) Right click on the "content" layer and choose "copy layer style".
    6) Right click on the layer with your image and choose "paste layer style".
    7) Save it. "Save for Web" will produce a smaller file size.

Attached Files:

5. Borsk

2 new avatars added since the last update:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Borsk

Ok, I'm ready to answer this question.

Earlier this week, I posted a poll with some numbers. Based on the number that people selected, I divided them into 1 of 3 groups. Each group is a team. These teams will have a private place for team-related discussion and will compete together.

Here's the breakdown of the 3 groups:

* = group leader

Corvus
    AmShak*
    DarthSkelington*
    JediFreezeman
    YodaMan

Color: Red
    Symbol: Crow
    Icon:
    [​IMG]

Cygnus
    Darth Aussie*
    Darth Boru*
    Alf
    Jedi Daniel

Color: Blue
    Symbol: Swan
    Icon:
    [​IMG]

Serphens
    Barada*
    Buzz Bumble*
    IG-PPO
    Jedi Joel

Color: Green
    Symbol: Snake
    Icon:
    [​IMG]

Each group has a moderator, a contributor and 2 regular members. These groups are not limited to the people that voted in the poll. Anyone that chooses can apply to join one of the groups.

Additionally, there is an indicator on each symbol that signifies the level of recent activity in the forum. The more often you visit and post in the forum, the higher your level is on the icon. The level is raised and lowered based on your activity.

Some examples:

Base level Cygnus:
    [​IMG]

1st level Cygnus:
    [​IMG]

2nd level Cygnus:
    [​IMG]

3rd level Cygnus:
    [​IMG]

The possibility exists that being at a higher level might be more 'rewarding'. At this time, the level is just a nice indicator of how active you currently are.

--

Many of the associated things that go along with this system are still being worked on and you can expect to see them soon. If you have any questions, post 'em.

7. Borsk

I should also mention that there are 2 people that will never be in one of the groups because they would be involved in running any contests. That would be Wookiee_Cookiee and myself.

The symbol for this is:
    [​IMG]

Impartial Judges

8. Yoda Man

Yoda Man New Recruit

I was wondering what judges were. Now I know

9. Yoda Man

Yoda Man New Recruit

What is activity? Is it hours on the forum, number of posts? Amount spent in arcade?

10. Borsk

I'm looking at the last 6 weeks. It's a combination of number of days visiting the site and the number of posts in that time span.

If I'm looking at you specifically, you have about 67% of the requirement to be at the 3rd level based on your current activity. You're 25% above the requirement to be at the 2nd level (which is where you are: 2nd level). So, if you go on an African Safari for 2 weeks, you can probabably expect to drop a level. But, if you casually increase the number of time you contribute posts to the forum, you can expect to bump it up a level.

I don't want people to get too hung up on this. The way to increase the number is to increase the ammount of posts you make in the forum. But, I do not recommend trying to artificially pad your post count. And, at this moment, the level you're at does not necessarily mean anything.

Also, if it gets to the point where everyone is at level 3, I reserve the right to increase the requirements to make the status meaningful again.

I'm glad people enjoy the arcade, but time spent in the arcade or chat room isn't really relevant to the forums.

11. Yoda Man

Yoda Man New Recruit

Makes sense to me. Thanks for clearing it up

12. mynock11

mynock11 Sith Medic

i guess this answers my questions....disregard the I/M Amshak..:banghead:

13. Borsk

I'm releasing things as I get them done. Sorry for any confusion.

If you give me a day or so, I'll have instructions for applying to join a group as well as having a few other things.

Also, I forgot to add the avatar you were using. This one:
    [​IMG]

You can find it with the others now, if that's the one you'd rather use.

14. Jedi Freezeman

Jedi Freezeman Infiltrator

I like what I see so far. Can't wait to see what you have in store for the teams...

15. Borsk

16. mynock11

mynock11 Sith Medic

Nahh borsk i like the one i have now thanks....

17. mynock11

mynock11 Sith Medic

Got a question ... Correct me if im wrong but wasnt there badges next to our names before like for C3 ,video game awards and such? What happened to them?

18. Borsk

The video game awards are discussed in this thread: http://forums.thebothanspy.com/showthread.php?t=10621

They're still shown, just not in the same way.

I'm contemplating doing something similar with the convention awards. So, bringing the convention awards is on the table, but I don't have time right now to do it - maybe next week.

19. mynock11

mynock11 Sith Medic

cool.i kinda liked the c3 award

20. RYAN-J

RYAN-J TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER

Just letting everone know that I changed my Avatar!:D I always get confused when members change there avatar and don't tell anybody! So There you go:D :D

RYAN-J