Autograph Questions and Discussion

Jedi_Joel

Agent
star_wars_fan said:
Thanks for both replies. Good to know your thoughts on the Bounty Hunter, he seems like a great guy and I've ordered two items so I'm that much more excited now. Any help with Wattographs would be much appreciated, I sent an email explaining the problem but hadn't heard back at the time of this post.

I tried a couple of free screenshot utilities from Tucows but haven't had anything that works. Everything shows a black picture when I try a screenshot from ROTS. Any suggested apps?

I've been going through the posts and I must say, this site IS AMAZING!! I'll make sure and share my efforts as well --- it's what makes it all possible after all. Thanks to all...keep it up and have a great one!

- MJ
I'm not so fond of Dermul because he has in the past been known to have sold bogus autographs (who would actually have multiple Natalie Portman SW autos and sell them??), he's also been observed on eBay buying fakes from a well known seller of fakes as weel.

I would suggest using PowerDVD to take screenshots.

As for sharing your efforts, please do so over at the Wattographs Database as well. Because without user participation and cooperation, people are just leeching the system and using it to only benefit themselves, which is something that Gary X at Wattographs has said that if it's going to be leached there's no point to keeping the database public and free. So support the communtity by also posting there.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Yes, support the community. Wattographs is the only SW-devoted database, and one of the only free databases. Keep it growing :)

Joel, I'd like to ask you about your sources re: your above statement. PM sent :)

Jedi_Joel

Agent
darthskelington said:
Yes, support the community. Wattographs is the only SW-devoted database, and one of the only free databases. Keep it growing :)

Joel, I'd like to ask you about your sources re: your above statement. PM sent :)
As for my ebay source, check out his feedback here. Check out those who he bought from and what they currently sell. And as for the Portman autos, it just doesn't make much sense why someone would just casually sell her auto on a SW photo (which is really rare).

richkulach

New Recruit
Hey guys, I have been looking into getting a few auto's and have a few fairly simple questions about the return envelope. Here, and a few other places, have mentioned sending IRC's with requests, while some mention sending cash. What is the best? Does it make a difference? I am in Canada, but should I send US cash if I go that way?

Any help would be great guys. Thanks.

Rich

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
richkulach said:
Hey guys, I have been looking into getting a few auto's and have a few fairly simple questions about the return envelope. Here, and a few other places, have mentioned sending IRC's with requests, while some mention sending cash. What is the best? Does it make a difference? I am in Canada, but should I send US cash if I go that way?

Any help would be great guys. Thanks.

Rich

I just sent letters to Nick Gillard and Lightning Bear today and In both I stuck a couple of brand new $1 dollars bills. IRC's are nice but most post offices are recalling them due to the new year coming up and they will be expired.

RYAN J.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
They raised the price on the old IRC's before they expired. The IRC's that i have recently been buying are at the new price and expire in 2009. I've never sent cash. It might depend on who your request is for. Someone like Kenny Baker comes over here enough that American money is not an issue for him.

btw, good to see you posting

richkulach

New Recruit
AmShak;70298 said:
btw, good to see you posting

Yeah, its been a while since I have posted on here. Good to be back, and good to see the comunity doin well.

And thanks for the info guys. I sent of a package to Alan Harris a few days ago, with a nice letter, 2 IRC's, addressed envelope, and 4 smaller pics. Hopefully they come back safe and sound. The pics I sent were based off of your pics AmShak, but I changed the pic on 2 of them. Just something different. I'll be sure to post if and when anything come back to me. And I need to decide who my next request will be...

Rich

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
it can be addictive. I never thought i would be doing this and now i have a stack of envelopes with photos and IRC's ready to go, waiting for me to write the letters.

star_wars_fan

Infiltrator
I have a question about multi-signed items. I just recently sent off my pic signed by Dave Prowse, Jason Wingreen, and Jeremy Bulloch to get James Earl Jones. I really enjoy getting the multi-signed items and want to do more of it in the future but am obviously ever-fearful of losing something in the mail. As a result, the approach I will continue to use is never send something unless there is a recent success identified on this site. I'd also like to avoid sending off my only autograph of somebody in case it does disappear. So here's my question - let's say it is somebody that I have a personal success with in the past (e.g., I have mailed JEJ before). What would you guys suggest is the appropriate length of time to wait before sending something else? Everything I get TTM is for my personal collection but I don't want to look greedy. Any thoughts? Thanks for the incredible site!!!!

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Hmm.....I've never written anyone as second time after receiveing a success...well...except for Ewan...but that was after like 4 years just to try out the addy. I've noticed people on Star Archive have posted sending 2 or three requests within a year to various actors. Personally, I'd wait maybe 6 months....but as long as it isn't within a week...no one will probabaly care. Depends on how popular the signer is and whether or not they might remember you specifically. :p

star_wars_fan

Infiltrator
Printing your own pics - how long will they last?

I had a horrible thought the other day as I was talking to somebody at Best Buy. How long before my collection starts fading and loses it's appeal? A big big chunk of the stuff I send out is printed from my own computer. I'll print either a 4x6 or 8.5x11 on glossy photo paper. I recently purchased a new printer b/c Canon "claims" that their ink, with one of their "fine printing chromalife 100" printers, on their paper will last 100 years. Yeah yeah, I know - fell for the sales pitch but I needed a new printer anyways. Any suggestions from the group on preserving your pics and making them last? He said the best thing to do is like I've done and store them in acid-free sheet protectors, in a binder, in a closet. Well, that covers a big chunk, but all my favorites are framed on the wall in my office. While they aren't in "direct" sunlight, they obviously get some residual sun. There's no way I can afford the UV-protected frames so I'm stuck with the cheaper/bulk type frames. Is my collection doomed or does anybody with insight think they'll be fine. I've tried with some of the bigger guys, including all those I meet at conventions, to get actual photographs like OfficialPix signed. Surely those will be fine. Whatcha guys think, anybody else pondered this?

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Re: Printing your own pics - how long will they last?

I don't know how "home-print-jobs" fade....haven't noticed anythign yet myself. Fading...or yellowing... is a concern I have as well.....and one of the main reasons I haven't framed my Alec Guinness signature yet. I too have a bunch of my faves framed and on the wall....but my Star Wars room is totally dark when not in use. All my excess autogrpaphsa re kept in sleeves in binders. I started out buying Ultra-Pro acid free pages (card pages for trading cards and indexes...."magazine" pages fopr my 8X10s. Recently I bought a bunch of Avery Acid Free pages at Walmart. They're really cheap and will do the trick....although they are much thinner than Ultra Pro pages and won't provide teh same ding protection.

I've been colelcting since 1999 and noe of my indexes have yellowed....at least not that I can tell....with the exception of one that got a little greasy because it was signed in person at a movie theater....and that one wasn't an important sig anyway.

star_wars_fan

Infiltrator
Good to hear, thanks for the reply. It's encouraging that your '99 stuff doesn't show any bad signs. I'll just enjoy 'em as long as they last. By the way, congratulations on the Alec Guinness, wow! I almost bought one at a show once but wasn't sure how legit it was. Congrats again, that's a prize!

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Yeah most of my Autographs are in a Steel Army Box. I have to get a couple more boxes since the one I have now is running out of room!!

RYAN J.

star_wars_fan

Infiltrator
Trouble using PowerDVD to grab screen caps

New question. So I have Cyberlink's PowerDVD and have figured out how to pause and use the capture button then paste the picture into something like PhotoDraw, but it distorts the image. It looks clear but it squishes the widescreen view (making the actor skinnier/taller looking). Is there a setting that I haven't found to fix this? Any thoughts?

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Re: Trouble using PowerDVD to grab screen caps

Yeah..I had that exact same problem last week. I have PowerDVD too, and my images were squished. I just stretched them out till they loked right....but I'd prefer not having to do that at all. :p Although, frankly...my sacreen captures were really low resolution. Not sure if it was the player or the computer or what :( I grabbed at GH-7 image which turned out good...and a Panaka that was ok. But my Trisha Noble funeral procession image was horrible.

I tried using Print-Screen to grab an image using either PowerDVD or the built in player that the DVDs use....but it just captured everything except the movie frame, whihc looked black. :(

Help anyone? Amshak or Borsk....could you move these posts to a separate thread called DVD Screen Capture Discussion? Thanks. :cool:

Yodasnews

New Recruit
I just bought about 18 Autos from the Official Pix Sale! They had some nice deals, less than you would pay at a con for some!

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Well I'm getting ready to send a DVD cover of the movie Gods and Generals to be multi-signed by Jeff Daniels, Stephen Lang,
Robert Duvall! I want to send my own sharpie marker for them each to use, Only problem is I've never sent a marker in an 9 1/2
x 12 1/2 envelope before or any envelope for that matter. Do I put on the outside of the Envelope:

DO NOT BEND!! PHOTO & MARKER ENCLOSED!! HAND STAMP ONLY!! ? Any help on this would be nice!!

RYAN J.