Astromony and 2012

peterjems

New Recruit
Hi all.

Just got back from watching the new Indiana Jones film and got curious about the Mayan culture so been doing some reading on the internet about it.

The mayan calendar supposedly ends in 2012 but i'm not reading anything into that I'm just interested that some web site claim that 2012 (21st December to be precise) is also when the 'winter solstice is aligned with the Milky Way'.

Two questions.

What does this mean and how often does it occur? Some web sites claim it will be so significant it will cause Pole Shifts and catastrophic events. Will it?

Thanks all.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I haven't looked into it recently....but I know a lot of peope are talking abou it these days. I don't know exactly what "winter solstice aligned with the milky way" means. The winter solstice is the shortest day of the year, when, due to the Earth's orbit around the sun, we received the fewest hours of sunlight between sunrise and sundown. The Milky Way is of course the galaxy we live in. Not sure how the two can relate to each other at all.

If I recall correctly, 2012 is supposed to be a major planetary alignment. A planetary alignment is when several planets, each in their own orbits around the sun, happen to line up in a row. This happens infrequently.....we're talking years apart...perhaps hundreds, thousands, or millions of years. Alignments can be determined mathematically, so info about dates or occurences should be readily availble somewhere out there on the web. I believe 2012 is a major planetary alignment...when most, if not all, of the planets in our solar system will line up in a row. Some people theorize that this could cause strong gravitic effects...hence your doomsday theories (and doomsday movies...like 2012).