AOTC purposely leaked?

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
So, over the past few weeks we learned that Harry Knowles of http://www.aintitcoolnews.com has seen Attack of the Clones.

So, what do you think of this leak? By this time in 1999 TPM hype was everywhere, magazines like Entertainment Weekly had dedicated at least 3 covers to the story in the months before the release. Do you think Lucasfilm or 2Oth Century Fox is leaking a rough cut to certain people to build hype for the film? This is going to be a full summer of big budget movies, including Scooby-Doo and Spiderman. Maybe they wanted Harry to see the film and report about it on his website to give it an extra boost...

What do you guys think?

Barada

Saboteur
Personally, I think there's too much at stake for Lucas to do that. If it was ever revealed that he had done that, his credibility would be shot, and I don't think Lucas would risk that. I doubt he's too worried about how well the movie will do. He is well aware of the legions of his fans that will see it gof knows how many times.

Look at it this way. Phantom menace was trashed by the critics and by large numbers of fans, and it only became the second movie to ever break $400 million at the box office on its initial run. People will see it, regardless of the hype.

Barada

Redleader

New Recruit
Purposely? Depends how you look at it. I dont think George himself wanted it to happen but maybe one of his little henchmen did (Rick McCallum)...... Rick seems like the type of guy that would do it just to be "cool".

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Not modeling your life after him Red?? I try to slip the phrase "This is F***ing Fantastic" into all of my conversations just so I can approach the genious that is Rick McCallum. :roflmao:

Anyway, I agree with Red that someone like Rick would do it and I agree with Barada that it's totally unnecessary to do something like this to create hype for this movie. I know a lot of people that aren't fans of the series that now want to see this movie based on the last trailer. It's somewhat Nixonian (if you look at it as an attempt to get more hype).

Deathstar

Visit vacation paradise!
Since this isn't politics, the suggested leak will not be exposed, if that's the case. There will be no Congressional Hearings on this story.
Actually, if Ole GL or Hollywood agents did leak the film, there are too many layers of cover up. These type of leaks are successful in creating extended exposure for the upcomming film release. Entertainers' agents love to use this ruse for getting their clients on HARD COPY and ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT type of shows. It's all about exposure which = $$$. I personally love when these TV shows keep plugging away at trying to get the public to attend films that are known BOMBS.

I agree, that ATOC's will be a redeeming film, but PM-Episode I did get some sticky reviews so perhaps GL and agents do not wish to let any doubt linger in the minds of faithful SW fans.
"AOTC's will be bigger and better, we promise you faithful SW fans." That's the message they need to get out. Remember, there will be an Episode III and a lot $$$ is riding on excellent reviews of the AOTC's.
In addition, mucho $$$ are also riding on the success of the next two films for the sale of future SW figures and merchandise.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
http://www.canoe.ca/JamStarWars/mar27_samueljackson-sun.html

A snippet from Hot Movie Listings
Wednesday, March 27, 2002

THIS STORY CONTAINS SPOILERS

Jedi death wish

Samuel L. Jackson gets bigger role in Clones
By LOUIS B. HOBSON
Calgary Sun

POSITIVE BUZZ
 Harry Knowles has posted a review on his movie website (www.aint-it-cool-news.com) claiming he'd seen a video of a work copy of Attack of the Clones.
 Lucas has refused to confirm or deny that he sanctioned the screening.
 "I think it's pretty safe to say George knew the screening was going to happen. Harry has a huge website that kids hit all the time and they're the audience for Star Wars.
 "There's been a lot of hype for Spiderman recently, so I think it was time to get the buzz back out there to the core audience for Star Wars." (Samuel Jackson says)
 Jackson says he has Knowles' private e-mail.
 "Harry and I talk a lot in the ether. He's a huge movie fan and so am I."