Anatomy of a Japanese SW t-shirt

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Some of you may remember the cool Japanese SW t-shirts the fan club had a couple years ago. One featured Yoda and had "YODA" printed in Aurebesh over the image. Another featured Han and Greedo. It said Mos Eisley Cantina in Aurebesh on the sleeve, but also featured Japanese text over the artwork.

About a year ago, (in college) I asked a Japanese friend of mine to translate the text. As it turns out, it's jsut a quote of the dialogue held between Han and Greedo before the shootout.

I'll descrive some of the features, and if the image posts correctly, you can look at it too. :)

First off, the Japanese text reads from top to bottom (columns) and right to left. My friend had trouble translating because, as he described it, this was an old-school style of writing, where all the characters were connected. Kinda like cursive writing. It quickly became apparent what is was, though.

Anyway, the highlighted pink text is "Greedo." He broke it down into katakana on the lower right. Literally, or phonetically, it says "gu ri u do."

The line with a pen line drawn along it was my friend trying to translate that Greedo is a Bounty Hunter (or Jabba has put a bounty on Han). He wrote at the top of the page, "If you kill this guy, you get the money."

The column to the left with two word circled contains "Jabba" (the top one) and something like "army" (probably referring to the Empire and Han's dumped spice shipment). He wrote out "army" at the top let of the image. The two words on the right, and also below the image are "Jabba" Literally "Jya Ba."

Hopefully I can get the picture up and y'all can enjoy :)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
here goes...

Attachments

• japanese sw shirt b.jpg
    japanese sw shirt b.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 249