An AOTC Continuity Epiphany

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I've been reading the AOTC novelization, which expands upon the movie greatly, at least as far as dialogue. It also expands upon scenes that were not fully described in the script.

Anyway, I was reading one of the later chapters regarding Anakin and Shmi, and had an epiphany. There are many instances in the prequels that might refererence or fore-shadow the classic trilogy, either by coincidence or intentionally. Sometimes it's just a fun saying (Obi to Annie: "Sometimes I think you'll be the death of me"), sometimes it might have a more lasting impact.

This is what: In AOTC, Shmi Skywalker is kidnapped and tortured by the Tusken Raiders. Her exerience is so intense, that Anakin senses it in his dreams, and eventually runs to her side.

In the Empire Strikes Back, Darth Vader tortures or causes pain to Han, Leia and Chewie, for the sole purpose of luring Luke to Cloud City (someplace Luke had never been nefore and probably didn't even know where it was).

Coincidence? Could be. Maybe the Sith are just fond of causing people pain, after all he tortured Leia before, and had a habit of snapping necks. But maybe Vader knew from personal experience.

Anyway, when I watch the movie, I'm usually so wrapped up in the moment of the Tusken camp, that I had never noticed the similarities to ESB. Has anyone else noticed this, or looked at it from this point of view?

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Given the way that Lucas does things, that is probably the case, although I would probably have never made that connection.