Am Shaks Palace

Darth Facho

New Recruit
Dear Am Shak,

This is the best Jabba's Palace diorama, that I have ever seen.
I have one question though. What materials did you use, and how did you paint and texture the walls? Is it the same as the Cantina?

Thanks, Darth Facho

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I used many of the same techniques in this dio as I used in the cantina. It's basically all cardboard. I used a pressed cardboard that is about 1/16" thick. It's about the same thickness as the cardboard that you would find on the back of a notepad but about 4X the density. I use acrylic paint and I apply it with a sponge to get the texture. I also use several different layers, starting with a dark color and working up to a lighter color, which gives the appearance of more depth to the texture than there really is. I use craft foam for all of the areas that require curves. This is not foam core, which is used but many people for their dios. Foam core is a 1/4" thick or more and has no fexibilty unless it's cut on one side. Craft foam is about 1/8" thick and is very flexible. I have nothing against foam core, I just like this stuff better.

I will try to get some pics up of the dio as it was being made. That should give everyone a better idea of how I went about it.

Thanks for the compliment.