a USA WEEKEND poll: Which of the following is your favorite film from the 80's?

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Usa Weekend has a new poll!

Which of the following is your favorite film from the 80's?

a) E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

b) Return of the Jedi

c) The Empire Strikes Back

d) Batman

e) Raiders of the Lost Ark

Follow this link to cast your vote:
http://www.usaweekend.com/

Barada

Saboteur
Don't you think this question may be a little lopsided? Raiders has tons of fans, but most Raiders fans most likely are also Star Wars fans. We have two Star Wars movies pitted against each other. Now we have Raiders, Empire, and Jedi splitting the votes. Batman would most likely be picked by comic fans (even though I'm not a comic fan myself, I loved Batman, but wouldn't pick it as the best of the '80's).

Now let's look at E.T. It's just been rereleased in the theaters, and has a huge wave of nostalgia attached to it at the moment. E.T. also has most of the female vote, as the other four films don't have the same appeal to women (no offense wookie). Therefore, I won't be surprised to see E.T. win hands down.

Is this negative of me to say this? Maybe. I do love E.T., but I think if the question had been asked at this time in 1999, one of the SW movies probably would have walked away with it, and if it's asked when Indy IV gets made, Raiders will have a good chance. People tend to follow the current fads, and at the moment, it's E.T.

Barada

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
very hard to split ... five classic movies , all of which i love watching time and time again. would have to say ESB first though followed by Raiders.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I would have to go with empire or raiders.

I think that this is barada's point. by giving ESB, ROTJ and raiders as options, it splits up the votes. The poll is geared to make ET win. If ROTJ and raiders were not options, we would all pick ESB don't you think?

Barada

Saboteur
Exactly my point, AmShak. I pick Empire too, but seeing how many people have already said how tough it was to pick between ESB, ROTJ, and Raiders, my point has been demonstrated. Three Lucas picks is a testament to how great he was in the '80's, but it also skews the vote to give E.T. a better shot.

Barada

P.S. What about another Lucas classic - Howard the Duck? :)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
You're neglecting The Goonies.

Speilberg/Lucas vs. Tim Burton - maybe if they went with PeeWee's Big Adventure.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is on my list of top five movies of ALL TIME!!!

Shhh, I'm listening to reason!

Exhibit Q: A scale model of the entire mall!!!

Awww I love it.

The stars at night are big and bright **clap clap clap clap** deep in the heart of Texas.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
It's like you're unravelling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...