Collectible of the Day 279 - China Satcom Calling Cards

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
16123324350_6078745bcf_z.jpg

Calling cards have been an ever present part of Star Wars collecting since its revival in the early 90s. Though no longer prevalent in the US, cards are still in use in many Asian and South American countries. The concept of putting a Star Wars image on an item to increase sales should come as no surprise to collectors, and such is the case with China Satcom's Star Wars calling cards. The cards, available in various denominations, often come in groups of four or more that combine to make up a larger image. The images are often taken from movie posters, video game art, or other attractive clip art. Whether or not these are licensed is up to speculation, but they make for a fun and relatively inexpensive collectible on the secondary market. China Satcom's line of Star Wars calling cards has at least 200 different cards, and can currently be purchased from a number of online auction sellers.

16123325900_f6685e8b06_z.jpg

15688289554_509c09c7d2_z.jpg

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Telecom New Zealand produced some phonecards (for use in public phone boxes) when Episode I was released. Unfortunately I don't have any of them and I've never looked in to how many there were in the set.