2006 World’s Largest Trivia Contest- You’re invited to Participate!!

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
Each year, our local college radio station hosts the World’s Largest Trivia contest as a fundraiser for the college radio station. What makes it the Largest? It is 54 hours of questions, music and fun with over 500 teams participating. Questions on movies, TV shows, commercials, literary works, music, classic radio programs… etc.

The contest begins 6:30 pm (CST) on Friday April 7 and runs through Midnight Sunday April 9. Most hours have 8 questions, with 2 songs between each question to call in your team’s answer. There are also 3 music questions which are ‘snippits’ of 8 songs strung together. You are required to determine the song title of the 8 songs (or as many as you can get). These are released throughout the contest and need to be turned in at the station. There are also pictures that need to be identified found in the rules and info book called the Trivia Times. Correctly answering these questions, or completing the tasks gains the team points.

Answers to questions can be found on the Internet, in books, magazines, movies or that crazy stuff you just remember and wonder why. Some teams (top 50) actually assign members TV shows to watch and movies to take notes on. We are not that serious- I already have a hobby that consumes most of my time (Star Wars). We do take the occasional note here and there. We also set up a computer network with 5-8 computers to do web searches and fill the living room with reference books. Our goal the past few years has been to finish in the top 100. We’ve been hit and miss.

So why am I telling you about it? I’d like your help!

Become a member of one of the Bothan Spy Groups if you are not already to gain access to the Group Forum (as we do not want answers to become general knowledge).

You can help identify the pictures in the Trivia Times. These will be posted April 3 or 4. I will place link in the Group Section with the pictures and instructions. . (We actually get time to do research on these.)

You can help identify the Music Snippits. During the contest I will post a link to each of the music segments with a time it needs to be turned in.

You can also tune in via the web. I will post a link to access the web stream so you can listen in on the contest (REAL Media Player Required). There is a slight delay on the web. Perhaps we can hook up via an instant message service like Yahoo or ICQ for those who would like to participate this way.

For more information about the contest here is the link to the 2006- Trivia 37 contest website.

http://momsfamilies.com/trivia/

Thanks!!!

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Yup, sounds like fun all round. Given that we're spread aroung the planet, we should be able to cover all the angles.

Lets see what we can do. Details JF, do we have a plan?

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
Darth Boru said:
Details JF, do we have a plan?

Look for the post April 3 or 4 with the pictures and help identify those. I'll give more details in that post.

Music Snippit questions will be given during the contest. I will post them as they are given.

If anyone wants to listen in and help answer questions, I'm not exactly sure the best way to do this. I had thought of using TBS chat room, but it will time out if there is no activity. I personally have Yahoo Messenger installed on my computer; in the past we have used ICQ. What Instant Messaging software do users have so we can standardize? (if possible)

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Jedi Freezeman said:
I had thought of using TBS chat room, but it will time out if there is no activity.
The chat room is just kinda moody. I honestly wonder if it isn't something with the computer connected to it rather than the server (or program itself) because there's no rhyme or reason to why it acts up sometimes.

You may find that it works perfectly for you. It seems to behave differently for different people.

If you use the chat room, I would type a message in there every so often to make sure you're still connected (or you can check the home page of the forum and see if your name is still displayed as being in chat).

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
I did a little test today in the chat room. It did not appear to kick me out. The longest stretch was about 4 hours. I assume if I was able to type something I was still logged in?

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Jedi Freezeman said:
I did a little test today in the chat room. It did not appear to kick me out. The longest stretch was about 4 hours. I assume if I was able to type something I was still logged in?
yes

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
The day approaches. Didn't realise it was going to be a Monday / Tuesday until now. Obviously, gotta go to work, but will be available into the evening no problems.

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
Darth Boru said:
The day approaches. Didn't realise it was going to be a Monday / Tuesday until now. Obviously, gotta go to work, but will be available into the evening no problems.

That's ok- play whenever you can. Your days are our nights. It gets slow for us after being up with little to no sleep through the contest. Sunday mornings most people have cashed out and we are hurting for players.

Plus...I'll be posting the pictures in 3 days- we have a week before the contest to work on those...

Thanks to all- I'm looking forward to it!

Jedi Freezeman

Infiltrator
Hey- A big thanks to everyone that helped with the pictures and music questions.

We finished in 87th place with 3,320 points. To give you some perspective, the 1st place team had 11,070. Some people take their trivia very seriously.

If you missed out, don't worry... there's always next year...

April 20, 21, 22 2007!