087 - Toby Philpott (Jabba Puppeteer)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
autographcollecting2.jpg

TBS_Toby_Philpot.jpg

Mr. Philpott got his start as a street performer, working various comedy, juggling, theater and other acts, and as a result getting to travel greatly. He later worked his way into film, where his skills payed off doing puppetry roles. He worked on such movies as The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Little Shop of Horrors, and of course Return of the Jedi. In ROTJ, he was one of the Jabba puppeteers, performing Jabba’s left arm, as well as his tongue and some head movements. In the 1990’s he worked for the Nofit State Circus, and currently is a puppetmaster in charge of the computer systems as his local library, making sure everything runs smoothly. He frequently attends conventions, and loads of information can be found on his website.

You can check out Mr. Philpott’s IMDB page here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0680975/

His official homepage is: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/toby.p/

Mr. Philpott has signed photos available on his website, at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/toby.p/signed_pictures.htm He also has an e-mail contact listed, if you'd like to contact him personally. Due to the postage, currency conversion, and time issues inherent with being bombarded with Star Wars fan mail, his website is Mr. Philpott's preferred method of being contacted. :)

Should any celebrity wish their address not posted, please contact myself (darthskellington) or any site staff member and it will be removed immediately.

Jabba

New Recruit
Only me!

I just wanted to point out that the PO Box for the circus is a very slow and unreliable way of reaching me.

They do not forward mail (they get mail for 45 crew on the road!) so it sits around the office except for the rare and occasional moment when I pass through and they say "hey! there may be some post for you...look in that pile over there..."

So I recommend just emailing me (as I don't particularly want my street address online) as I respond quicker to that. jabbahutt@gmail.com

Oh, and bear in mind that I have a low-paid day job (Star Wars employed me for 6 weeks, about 25 years ago!) so I don't send out free photos, etc.

I need to cover the cost of pix, postage, stiff photo envelopes and sheer hassle (queuing in the Post Office, etc) so the online, PayPal option on my website charges £10. Sorry, with current dollar/pound ratios that probably seems a bit steep to people in the USA.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/toby.p/signed_pictures.htm

Similarly, US stamps do not help me much, and although I enjoy receiving loose dollars I have to wait for them to add up before it becomes worthwhile to go change them at the bank (otherwise the bank charges just swallow them!) I recommend PayPal...

I always wondered who had tracked back to my NoFit State past and published the PO Box address. Now I know!

Be Seeing You!

Toby
Jabba's left hand man

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Welcome to the site Mr. Philpott! :) My apologies for any inconvenience posting this address has caused you. I'm afraid I can't take credit for tracking it down...it's just one I found floating around the internet that others have said works. With that said...

In the interests of convenience for Mr. Philpott and yourself, I fully recommend anyone seeking an autograph to please go through Mr. Philpott's established Website (given above), or to contact him via e-mail to make an inquiry. :)

Jabba

New Recruit
Oh, it's not a problem, DarthSkellington. I figured that the PO Box address had leaked onto the Web after people did a little investigating, and found my old link to NoFit State Circus.

I only wanted to point out that things could go astray at that address - I feel sure at least one piece of mail got lost in and around their hectic office - and that there will almost certainly be a delay, even if things do get through to me.

I didn't mean to make a speech about mailing and costs, etc (!) but after more than 30 years of insecure self-employment and show-biz vagrancy I finally got a little job with the local library and settled down. I suspect that many people still don't understand how many people in show-biz belong in the body of the iceberg - not the rich and famous tip. I grew up with poor parents in the arts, and thought of it as 'just a job'. Combine that with my bohemian disregard for wealth or consumer goods (I have no mortgage, car, moblie phone) and you can see why I can't afford free gifts. Choosing that life gave me a lot of free time, though! I took my retirement young, when I could still enjoy it. I turned 50, and then got a day job for the first time. heh heh :rolleyes:

I try very hard to fulfil people's requests, though, and have had some wonderful exchanges with fans. If I feel flush I won't quibble about the price of a stamp! I do find it difficult to respond to the blank demanding "Send me a picture" type of letter, however. Once I get into conversation with people almost anything is possible - I have traded with people, sent them pictures in exchange for DVDs, and so on, had people turn up on the doorstep with posters to sign, etc. I do occasionally go to conventions, but I don't have a lot of leave from the day job so after a couple of years of fun and adventure I have let those more-or-less slide now. If I still felt part of show-biz I would hustle more, no doubt.

Doh! I just noticed that I have let the email address fall off the front page of my website. Must have been like that for ages! No wonder people have a problem finding it buried in the maze.

I respond best to jabbahutt@gmail.com

Oh, and Ryan-J - I found the site when asked to maybe do an interview... You can see the ones I have already done, here.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/toby.p/Jabba interviews.htm
most recently I answered a few questions for Play Station World (PSW) in the March issue.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I fully understand the issues of cost and time involved in signing autographs, Mr. Philpott. :) It is a topic many Star Wars actors have brought in one form or another over the years. It's only in the fans' best interest to work with the actors so that the fan/celebrity relationship is a cooperative effort. :cool:

Received my Jabba action figure back from Toby Philpott today. Can I just say that this man is a true gentleman! Not ony did I receive my figure back in super-fast time (4 days), but included in the parcel was one of Toby's own 10x8's signed in silver and a great letter. On top of this, Toby was kind enough to sort out a postage problem for me!!! Truly great guy.

Attachments

• Jabba LR.jpg
    Jabba LR.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 421
  • Jabba Photo LR.jpg
    Jabba Photo LR.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 443
  • Jabba Letter LR.jpg
    Jabba Letter LR.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 436

Chewie

The Mighty Wookiee
Yes, he's a great guy! I got my tri-fold card back signed by him a few days ago, already signed by John Coppinger. He also threw in a nice letter and a signed photo of his own as well.

Jabba

New Recruit
Aw shucks, guys, yer making me blush. Ahem.

I just wanted to say thanks for posting the interview up - it looks good, even with all those slightly dated pix grabbed from my website, and all. heh.

It was a pleasure working with you - and I wish you plenty more success in tracking people down to talk to...