042 - Phil Tippett (Myo, Doik N'ats)

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
autographcollecting2.jpg

TBS_Phil_Tippett.jpg

If it’s a sci-fi action movie, there’s a good chance Phil Tippett might have been involved. He has made a career in visual effects, and taken his hand at directing and procuring along the way too. Originally working for ILM, Tippett now run his own special effects company Tippett Studios. In addition to working on all three original Star Wars movies, and an Ewok movie, Tippett is credited with Temple of Doom, Willow,Howard the Duck, Robocop (1-3), Starship Troopers (1&2), Jurassic Park, The Haunting, Evolution, and many, many more!

Mr. Tippet worked on stop-motion and special effects for the Star Wars movies, and in A New Hope even appeared onscreen in the Mos Eisley Cantina. He played Myo, the cycloptic Abyssin, and also one of the Bith Cantina Band Members. Although he is sometimes credited as Doik N’ats, he has no idea which band member he actually played. Especially considering the characters were named a decade after the movie came out. :p

IMDB has this trivia to add:

A dinosaur species is named after him: Elaphrosaurus philtippettorum. "Elaphrosaurus" means "light lizard" and was probably a ceratosaur; the humerus bone found in Colorado was named by Stephan Pickering in 1995. (The name does not quite conform to dinosaur-naming protocols: it should have been Elaphrosaurus philtippetti.)
Is the inventor of the Stop-Motion technique called Go-Motion.

You can check out Mr. Tippett’s IMDB filmography here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0864138/

Star Wars Insider Magazine issue #33 features an interview with Mr. Tippett.

Sci-Fi Dimensions has an interview online: http://www.scifidimensions.com/Jun04/philtippett.htm

Star Wars.com has a biography here: www.starwars.com/bio/philtippett.html

Finally, you can also visit Tippett Studios online at: www.tippett.com

Mr. Tippett seems to like signing for his fans, and understands the importance of doing so. However, his schedule sometimes keeps him from responding quickly. It can sometimes take a year to get a response, but you are almost guaranteed one. It actually took me over 2 years to get a response. :p Mr. Tippett will sign and personalize items sent to him, and sometimes sends his own 8X10s. This is an excellent opportunity, despite the wait, so don’t pass it up.

Phil Tippett
c/o Tippett Studio
2741 Tenth Street
Berkeley, CA 94701
USA

Should any celebrity wish their address not posted, please contact myself (darthskelington) or any site staff member and it will be removed immediately.

Attachments

• 0042 Phil Tippett ep4 1.2.jpg
    0042 Phil Tippett ep4 1.2.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 518
  • 0042 Phil Tippett ep4 2.jpg
    0042 Phil Tippett ep4 2.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 532
  • 0042 Phil Tippett epX 1.jpg
    0042 Phil Tippett epX 1.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 717

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Re: TBS Autograph Project 042 - Phil Tippett (Myo, Doik N'ats)

Mailed out 8x10, letter, and SASE on 1/23/06.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Re: TBS Autograph Project 042 - Phil Tippett (Myo, Doik N'ats)

Jedi_Joel;58758 said:
Mailed out 8x10, letter, and SASE on 1/23/06.
It's forgotten requests like these that turn into successes that make this hobby fun:
tippettwebzw8.jpg

Sevb30

New Recruit
Hey, Where did you get that Phil Tibbett photo with the At-Ats?
I have looked for many online and found only tiny photos that can't be enlarged.
Thanks

Sevb30;73483 said:
I have looked for many online and found only tiny photos that can't be enlarged.
Thanks

In the card back of ESB widevision #34 & ROTJ widevision #90,you can see Phil in there:)

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Well I have the letter all written!! Now all I gotta do is print the pictures that AmShak made off at the 1-hour printer at Wal*Mart Then it's all ready to go!!

RYAN J.

Jedi_Joel

Agent
Sevb30;73483 said:
Thanks
It came from my own personal collection, and I believe I bought this photo from a dealer at a past con.

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
My request went out today! AmShak, Those pictures you made at the top of Phil Tippett turned out Awesome at the 1-hour photo center in Wal*Mart!! I used to do those pictures on the instant machines but Am now going to stick with the 1-Hour. Much better quality, And cheaper too!

RYAN J.

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Got my Items back from Phil Tippett Yesterday!! He signed all 3 of my 4x6's! I did included a 1977 topps movie card which he didn't
send back. Very fast response too! Only 20 days!

Envelope:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/Autographs/Phil_Tippett_Envelope.jpg

Autographs 01:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/Autographs/Phil_Tippett_Autographs_01.jpg

Autographs 02:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/Autographs/Phil_Tippett_Autographs_02.jpg

RYAN J.

Sent: March 21st 2007

Replied: April 9th 2007

Days Taken: 20

Jedi_Joel

Agent
RYAN-J;74063 said:
Got my Items back from Phil Tippett Yesterday!! He signed all 3 of my 4x6's! I did included a 1977 topps movie card which he didn't
send back. Very fast response too! Only 20 days!
Awesome Ryan! I might just have to send out another request to him, but this time with widevision cards.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
well, i sent him the 3 4x6's, from the first post of this thread, and he returned tham unsigned. He did include his own 8x10

Attachments

• 0042 Phil Tippett epX 2 success.jpg
    0042 Phil Tippett epX 2 success.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 502

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
Hmmmm? I wonder why he signed mine but not yours?? Maybe he thought you would enjoy the 8x10 more.

RYAN-J

Got success today.Sent 6 trading cards,got 4 back signed.Very happy because it just took over 4 months,not 12 months:D

PhilTippettCards.jpg

Matt

New Recruit
Ruturned from my holidays at the weekend to find a few pleasing pieces of mail including this from Phil Tippett. He kindly signed my 10x8 and two widevisions.
Took around 5 months from the UK.

Attachments

• 2007_0903autos0002.JPG
    2007_0903autos0002.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 450
  • 2007_0903autos0003.JPG
    2007_0903autos0003.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 395