News: 2 to 3 movies PER YEAR?!

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Reportedly Disney are planning to release two / three Star Wars spin-off movies EVERY YEAR.

Disney planning 2 or 3 Star Wars films a YEAR!?
Sweet merciful Zeus! We were excited (if not a little nervous) that Star Wars Episode VII would be out come 2015, but now that's the least that's happening. Turns out Disney plans on making a lot more Star Wars pictures. A LOT MORE.

So the Disney buyout happened, and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy announced that we would be getting a new episode in the Star Wars saga every two years or so. That makes sense. After all, it takes time to put together an epic or, at least, it should.

But hang onto your hats, kids, because that's just the main stuff. Apparently, according to the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, Kennedy and Disney plan to put out two to three Star Wars-related movies EVERY YEAR!

Now, that doesn't mean we'll see Episodes VII, VII and IX all in 2015. In fact, we'd stake our reputations that we most certainly won't. It will, however, likely mean we will see Lucasfilm take a page from Marvel. After all, look at all the individual films that led up to the insanely successful Avengers. So what we're probably looking at is a series of films telling the stories of specific characters, all in an effort to enrich the existing universe.

Well, that and to make more money, of course. After all, more movies means more movie tickets and, most of all, more toys. Not gonna lie, we're PUMPED.

It could be time to get out now before Disney flushes the whole franchise down the toilet in the greedy chase for a quick buck. :(

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
2-3 movies a year sounds a little unrealistic...at least not for many years. If done right, ala Marvel's Avengers, it could prove for some interesting stories. But they'd need new characters to do that with. Perhaps some introduced in Eps 7-9. Or go back and do TOR or KOTOR type stuff. Either way I'm not especially hyped about new SW movies at this point. Be interesting once things get rolling.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I have to say I'm quite disappointed in George Lucas selling out to the "Hollywood system" (I think it's going to be a bit of a disaster for the franchise), and I still haven't read anything about Rick McCallum anywhere in all this.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Yeah, well...personally, I'd have been as happy to "let it die". Problem is...even if you let go of it all.....eventually it will become public domain...then anyone can do what they want.....like Wizard of Oz....Alice in Wonderland....etc. It would have been nice if Lucas had hung on to it for another decade or so....but can understand his desire to control the change now.

IG-PPO

Sith Hamsters Handler
I think I read that she meant that LucasFilms going to release two or three movies per year but not necessary being Star Wars related. Maybe we could see a Willow sequel. :p

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
That's possible, but Disney has already said they have no plans for any other Lucas franchises. It's also possible she meant TV-movies rather than cinema ones