David Prowse Banned

cplfreezer

Mind Bender
George Lucas bans the actor that plays Darth Vader from all Star Wars events.
Vader actor banned by George Lucas. Actor David Prowse, best known as the physical form of Darth Vader in Star Wars, is banned from all events. It's an amazing story on how George Lucas claims that the Vader actor burned too many bridges.

"It is with regret that I have been informed by my friends at C2 Ventures, Ben and Phillip, that I am not to be invited to C5 [Star Wars Celebration V] this year or any other Lucas Film associated events. After enquiring, the only thing I have been told is that I have 'burnt too many bridges between Lucas Film and myself' - no other reason given...I have also been advised by the promoter of Paris Manga in September that LFL (Lucas Film Limited) have requested no photo opportunities with the 501 Squadron (a fan group dedicated to Star Wars costuming), even though I am commander in chief of the 501," David Prowse said on his Web site.

Neither Prowse nor Lucasfilm will elaborate on what incidents lead to this. Now that the Empire celebrates it's 30th anniversary, Prowse has not been invited to any recent cast reunions, the Empire of Dreams documentary or the 2005 Vanity Fair. Lucas Film is an American film production company founded by George Lucas in 1971, based in San Francisco, California.

Though he was never going to be used as the voice of Darth Vader, he was originally told that he would be seen and heard at the end of Return of the Jedi when Vader's mask was removed. This did not end up happening as actor Sebastian Shaw was brought in instead. However, Lucas claims he wanted a 'darker voice' (Lucas has stated that Darth Vader had to have a deep, reverberating voice) that Prowse could not provide and never intended to use Prowse's voice.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Yeah, Prowse has been hyping this for a few weeks now. What site are you quoting this from? It's grown in elaboration dramatically since it's initial posting. :p It's attempting to be inflamatory, while at the same time lacking proper journalistic tense and focus. (ie...Now that Empire celebrates it 30th ann.....Prowse has not been invited to an event in 2005?)

Anyway, the long and short of the story is that Lucasfilm has not invited Prowse to CV, and will probably not invite him to any other Lucasfilm sponsored events. George Lucas as a person has never been brought into the equation. (Although yes, Lucas is the head of Lucasfilm). Prowse has had longstanding grievances with Lucasfilm, from his diminished participation in ROTJ (as the climax of the movie was a duel, Bob Anderson (?) the stunt duelist played Vader in most of those scenes, rather than Prowse, etc) all the way up to more recent events.

Prowse was not invited to C1 either, so he showed up anyway and set up shop selling autographs in a nearby hotel. I haven't been able to find any other public incidents myself. Personally, I've found Prowse to be friendly and personable to the fans. However, if you bite the hand that feeds you, it's not surprising that eventually you'll stop gettiing fed.

In the long run it's unfortunate because it effects the fans. However, considering how few LFL sponsored events there are out there (Celebrations, SW Weekends at Disney), this ultimately will have little effect on those hoping to meet Prowse in person at a convention.