Battle of Star Wars Star Trek

I don't really know what my point might be but do you ever notice how many Star Wars spin offs there are compared to Star Trek?

Star Trek has been around longer and has way more official content between TV series and movies.

Star Wars never really did anything spectacular for TV. There were a couple made for TV movies, The Droids, The Ewoks and as of lately the Clone Wars cartoons.

Star Trek never really had a decent toy line.

Star Wars has more and better video games.

Both have exciting and highly populated conventions.

Star Trek has received alot more recognition from governments and Nasa due to it being closer to reality than Star Wars. Leonard Nemoy is a fantastic person and will sadly be missed when he is gone (just a side note).

Everybody makes Star Wars spin off movies and hints of Star Wars in comedies like "That 70s Show", "Benchwarmers", "Spaceballs", "Family Guy", "Robot Chicken" and endless more.

Star Trek did have "Galaxy Quest" and I'm sure others.

Both Star Wars and Star Trek had a great combination in "Fan Boys".

:rolleyes:I would like it if you guys can tell me other Star Wars / Star Trek movie and sitcom spin offs you can remember:rolleyes:

Is there an official poll somewhere on the web for Which is better Star Wars or Star Trek in a popularity standpoint?

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I think you'll find that the difference is the target audience. Star Wars has always been aimed at kids/teens (mainly boys), whereas Star Trek is aimed at those a little older.

There are millions of Star Wars vs Star Trek polls and websites, but I doubt there's any official one.

JJ Abrams recently made his (butchered) new Star Trek movie, but it is more Star Wars like than the original versions, partly thanks to JJ Abrams being more of a Star Wars fan then Star Trek.

Star Wars and Star Trek have been parodied (sometimes mixed together) in animated shows like Rug Rats, and Muppet Babies. The Simpsons have also had a semi-Star Wars episode and mentioned it many times, but I'm not sure if they've ever done a Star Trek version.

There is the (now old) unofficial animated parody version of Star Trek meets the Flintstones called Stone Trek. It also had some Star Wars Prequel stuff mixed into the last few episodes. (I'm not sure if that links works properly or if it's this old PC playing up.) There's also the animated Bunny-ised parody versions of Star Wars and Star Trek at AngryAlien.com

You often hear Star Wars, and less often Star Trek, mentioned in all sorts of shows. There was some show I heard today where the guy jokingly told his girlfriend that he'd picked out his costume for the Star Wars themed wedding. Plus of course the (in)famous Friends episode.

Star Wars did have the hopeless Christmas (un)Special and some of the characters did appear as guests on The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, etc.

Both franchises have a huge number of books and both have fans making their own movies and doing things like building home theatres that look like the Enterprise Bridge, etc.

I think Star Wars (and Harry Potter) are the only two franchises that have official Lego sets.

It's also a bit sad that the original Battlestar Galactica never got more popular (partly due to idiots at the studio interferring and causing the hopeless scecond season, Galactica 1980), especially since it was often called "Star Wars for TV". Same with the Gill Gerrard Buck Rogers TV series. :(

Without Star Wars it's unlikely there would have been a Star Trek movie, at least not back then.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I believe there was an episode of the Simpsons that had Leonard Nimoy as the guest. I think he beamed up at the end.

Futurama has had a number of Star Trek guest spots, and Family Guy has even had an episode featuring the entire bridge crew of Next Generation (not sure how many voices they actually got....at least 3-4).

I'm a big fan of both Wars and Trek. Obviously, I was a Wars fan first, and am a bigger fan than ever. I enjoy all sorts of sci-fi, fantasy genres, but when I start getting spread too thin, I just remind myself that Star Wars always comes first.