Why You Don't Leave a Car Idle All Summer

Barada

Saboteur
Due to some personal circumstances, we were forced to put our second car off road for the last year. It's been sitting in the driveway, parked next to a fence ever since, and no one walks up the driver's side because there's no reason to.

Well, our neighbourhood is notorious for wasp problems. We get nests built literally anywhere. They even found a way into our garage and I found two nests on the inside of the door this summer.

Anyway, one day I noticed wasps flying around the driver's side of the car. I walked around the side, expecting to see them flying in and out of the driver's door, as that's where they built a nest late last summer. Instead, I see that they have completely enveloped the driver's side mirror, and built all behind the mirror itself. I sprayed that, and I guess the vapor disturbed them in other areas.

That night, I brought my son out to watch the spectacle. When dusk comes around, they all settle into their nests, and very little causes them to leave it until the next day when the sun comes out. I sprayed every crack and crevice on the driver's side of the car, emptying an entire can of Raid.

Then I unlocked the doors and trunk, and used a broom handle to open them up. Sure enough, they had also built substantial sized nests on the inside of the driver's door, in the narrow opening between the trunk and the car, in the tailpipe (!), and even on top of the rear driver's side tire (!!!). However, none freaked me out as much as this:

000000Wasps.jpg

The little buggers had infiltrated the gas cap area. This pic points upward, but from eye level, the top half of the cap cannot be seen because of the nest. The big shiny mass at the bottom of the space is 50-75 dead wasps.

Needless to say, my son thought this was the coolest thing he had ever seen, and now he keeps asking me if we can go kill more bugs. :eek:

So, word to the wise. If you need to keep your car offroad in wasp season, make sure you keep an eye on it. It's amazing no one has been stung that has walked past the driveway...

Barada

Alf

Agent
The wasps might have been attracted to your car because of the color.

I know bees like the colors white and yellow. I have a bright yellow car and they think it's the biggest flower ever! No nests yet.. but the bees poop all over my car.

Barada

Saboteur
I don't think it's as easy as color Alf. The get into EVERYTHING. Every summer, it's a constant battle. They get into the barbecue, the fence, the outside of the house, all over our garage door (which is black), into the Fisher Price picnic table on our deck, the Little Tykes climber/slide playset, inside the umbrella on the patio table AND the metal pole for that umbrella. We found one inside a tricycle that had been left unattended for a week.

My wife runs a home daycare too, so it makes us nervous sometimes that a kid will find the one toy or spot we forgot to check, and disturb a nest. So far, only one kid has been stung - but that was at a public park and not our fault.

The little critters get incredibly aggressive the hotter it gets outside too. (I don't blame them - I do too. ;) ) When we had that heatwave this past summer, no one could go in the backyard at all, as you have these things buzzing around you constantly. Wasps don't need motivation to sting either - they're just mean.

Anyway, now that it's daytime, I can add better pics. I took that first one last night for a friend online who didn't believe me.

Here's another shot of the gas cap, along with the remains of the mirror infestation. You can see dead ones still stuck under the mirror itself.

I don't know how I'm ever going to be able to go inside this car ever again...

Barada

wasp.jpg

mirror.jpg

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
I have got a great Yellow Jackets story to tell. I'll post it when i get home since i am at my grandma's right now. I even have pictures of it too!

RYAN J.

RYAN-J

TTM AUTOGRAPH MASTER
A couple weeks ago I was downstairs getting a bowl of rice krispies when I
heard some scratching coming from behind our wall by the front door. Once in a while we will hear mice running through the
wall and we like to bang on the walls and here them run! Anyway, I walked over and put my ear up the wall and could hear it walking.
So i gave one quick tap with my fist on the wall and POP! my fist goes right through the wall! I jerked it back and then I saw Hundreds of
YELLOW JACKETS come pouring out! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! What I thought was a mouse was actually a HUGE bees nest behind our wall!
They had eaten all the drywall behind it so it was like paper thin, that's why my fist went through it so quickly. Well I ran into my dad's office and
told him I had trepassed on a bees nest and he looked at me like I was nuts! He came out and looked at it and said: Oh boy!
Thank goodness my dad used to be a bee keeper and knew what to do! I have included some pictures for your enjoyment!! We ended up getting to bed around 2:00 'o' clock am!

RYAN J.

P.S. You can see the box of Rice Krispies in picture # 3! I never did have a bowl of them=(

Attachments

• YELLOW_JACKETS_1.JPG
    YELLOW_JACKETS_1.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 601
  • YEllow_jackets_2.JPG
    YEllow_jackets_2.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 605
  • Yellow_Jackets_3.JPG
    Yellow_Jackets_3.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 594
  • Yellow_Jackets_4.JPG
    Yellow_Jackets_4.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 598

iceman7

New Recruit
Damn you are lucky you never got stung at nite. here in Manitoba, we had a huge problem too. I never ahd at my place, but my mom did. i went during the day to piss them off as much as possible. that nite, I went back and tried to spray them. They were just as vicious at nite as they were during the day. thankfully, all I was stung was once, and that was over a month ago. It still gets itchy ever so often