RIP Steve 'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin

Barada

Saboteur
News has just broke today that Australian TV legend Steve Irwin, the 'Crocodile Hunter' died today after being stung by a stingray while filming an underwater documentary.

With the large number of Aussies on this board, I thought it would be nice to pay tribute to a man who did so much to bring their country to the rest of the world.

RIP Steve. :(

Barada

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
My thoughts are with him and his family. A guy who decided Wildlife needed a helping hand has been taken away before his passion was finished....

RIP also Steve, you'll be missed...:(

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
This very sad news has made every radio and television station news bulletin I've encountered today, which is an indication of the high regard in which Steve Irwin was head round the globe.

His passing is a great loss to the world at large, he practised what he preached with unceasing enthusiasm.

My thoughts are with his wife and children at this extremely sad time.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
His personality is what made him memorable in pop culture - globally. You might make fun of him a little but you couldn't help liking him. It's cool that he made a mark like that.

I still remember "happy little trees" and Bob Ross has been dead for 10 years or so. I think Irwin will be remembered too.

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
Borsk said:
His personality is what made him memorable in pop culture - globally. You might make fun of him a little but you couldn't help liking him. It's cool that he made a mark like that.

I still remember "happy little trees" and Bob Ross has been dead for 10 years or so. I think Irwin will be remembered too.

Hear, Hear...

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Definitely!

Not only was Steve Irwin included in every news report I've encountered, but he was also mentioned in almost every conversation in our staff canteen today.

The mark left by this extraordinary individual is nothing short of incredible. A very likeable personality, he appears to have been far more well known than anyone may have realised.

The amount of information I've learned about Stingrays over the last 24 hours, from a ton of different people, has been amazing!

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
I've been to Australia Zoo, back in 2002. Really nice place. I always knew he was popular but yeah this is really surprising and nice to see that so many people respected him. RIP mate.

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
I was so sad when I heard this news and for quite a while. Couldn't even watch it on the news without getting upset. It really took me by surprise.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Although many people thought he acted like an idiot or a big kid (is there a difference?), most people did respect his enthusiasm as well as his love of nature and life.

A few days later another Australian celebrity died too: Peter Brock, a racing and rally car driver, crashed into a tree during a rally competition and was killed pretty much on impact.

I can't say I was actually a fan of either, but it's still a sad thing to happen and both died while doing what they loved doing. :(

Napalm

Subgenius Jedi
It's not like his death was unexpected. The man wrestles dangerous animals on a daily basis.

EDIT: Er... wrestled.

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
yeah he may have seem loony but he KNEW what he was doing....always had things covered...he'll be missed all the same

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
If anyone knew what they were doing, he did. He was totally amazing to watch. His passing was a terribly unlucky accident, statistically unlikely to a ridiculous degree.

His widow and kids were on tv recently and that was absolutely heartbreaking to watch. Anyone vaguely human would have a lump in the throat while watching that.

When all is said and done, Steve Irwin was the animal kingdoms greatest champion. His infectious enthusiasm and 'larger than life' persona will be greatly missed by more than a few.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
"Statistically unlikely" ... true, but the strange thing was that the same thing happened to someone else within a week, although they were lucky enough to survive.