Harry Potter movie

Darth Daddy

New Recruit
Hey All,

I went to see the HP movie tonight and I loved it immensely. Moody was not what I expected at all. I envisioned a much older man, but my vision doesn't count.

Didi anyone else see any hints of Star Wars in the film? My seven year old kept pointing out similarities that I didn't realize.

Steve

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
Oh, I just thought of one! When Harry's parents come back all blue and see- through and guide him is kinda like when Obi-Wan and Anakin come back all blue and see-through. I didn't really catch any other tie-ins, I was a little too involved to be reflective. I did love this movie though, probably more than Prisoner of Azkaban. Voldemort was terrific. Creepy-looking with awesome robes! Yep, I'm pretty happy.

Darth Daddy

New Recruit
V was awesome indeed and truly very scary... I didnt even think about Harry's parents, but thought about the wand duel being very SW like.

Steve

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
Yoda Man said:
There wasn't enough plot and character development

But you got to admit that Voldemort was awesome, right?
No, seriously thinking back there are a few things I would have liked to be left in, but overall I liked it. And Voldemort was awesome... oh, and creepy face in the fire Sirius.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Just saw it the other night...

-Wasn't crazy about the "noseless" Voldemort. I *get* that he's supposed to look like a snake, but it still just looks goofy. I guess it's hard to be menacing without a nose.

-In some shots, the light from the wands looks "lightsaber-ish". Other than that, I didn't notice anything Star Warsy.

-This movie is more dependent on the other movies. I think if you came into this one without seeing the others, you'd be kinda lost. Even then, there seemed to be a lot of tangents that muddled the plot. It's easy to lose focus on what's important to the story. I guess my point being, that I wouldn't be surprised if you took a first time Harry Potter person to go see this and they left confused.

-I especially liked the Scooby-Doo ending where they reveal the professor as an imposter. "It would have worked if it hadn't been for you meddling kids"

I liked the movie. Hmm, I think I'd rank them like this:

1) Goblet of Fire
2) Sorceror's Stone
3) Chamber of Secrets
4) Prisoner of Azkaban

<rant>
I'm not crazy about the new Dumbledore. I felt that way with the last movie too. Something about him is very un-Richard Harris. He seems less patient and methodical.
</rant>

I haven't read the book (and perhaps it answers this question), but why did they (they, being the bad guys) make the trophy the portal to the graveyard? It seems like they went to an aweful lot of trouble to do that. Could they not have gotten Harry to touch some mundane item in his room and have that wisk him away to the graveyard? I realize that it makes the story more interesting to have the challenges, but from the point-of-view of the bad guys - it seems dumb.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah...

They need to do a spin-off movie that focuses solely on the hot chick wizardry school.

;)

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
I wish they had time to show Viktor, Fleur and Cedric fighting their dragons, that would have been cool.

I liked Ron's hair, but I thought Harry needed a trim. :p

Fred and George were great in this movie, I liked when one of them (I don't know who and I'm too lazy to look it up in the book) asked his date to the ball. :D

I never heard the HP theme...did I miss it? I had to sit next to this little kid at the theatre who kept climbing over the seats because his mom and dad showed up late and couldn't get seats together. And he kept grabbing me every time he climbed back and forth. Grrr. I want a kid-free showing next time.

I agree about Dumbledore, I like this guy, but he seems too spirited. Richard Harris played him more relaxed. I like a calm Dumbledore. :)

About Voldemort, I kept saying "Where's your nose?" I was waiting for it to grow in the whole time.

I liked the actor who was Barty Crouch, he played a farmer on the BBC show Vicar of Dibley. He can be hilarious. I'm sad that he's dead already. :(

I didn't miss the house-elves...that was one part of the book I didn't mind being left out. ;)

I wish they had time for more Snape, Sirius and Draco...

When does the next movie come out? :D

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
Wookiee_Cookiee said:
I wish they had time to show Viktor, Fleur and Cedric fighting their dragons

I'm in favor of more Fleur time.

Wookiee_Cookiee said:
I wish they had time for more Snape

Snape hitting the kids in the head repeatedly was nice though. I thought they could have done a better job explaining the tattoo thing and what it means to be in that "club" and what it takes to divorce yourself from it.

Wookiee_Cookiee said:
I never heard the HP theme...did I miss it?

John Williams didn't do the music for this movie. It seemed like the music, in general, was toned back quite a bit.

Wookiee_Cookiee said:
When does the next movie come out?

According to IMDB, June 1, 2007.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
I knew the music was off...they better bring John Williams back for the next one...unless he chose not to do it this time. :(

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
wookiee_cookiee said:
I knew the music was off...they better bring John Williams back for the next one...unless he chose not to do it this time. :(
He'll be 74 in February. Maybe he's just taking it easy.

This year he's done:

Episode III (Lucas)
Memoirs of a Geisha
War of the Worlds (Spielberg)
Munich (Spielberg)

So, maybe he was just busy. I think if Lucas or Spielberg have work for him, he skips the other movies.

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
wookiee_cookiee said:
I agree, I miss the Harry Potter theme too.

I also agree with you and Borsk, more Snape time would have been great. But the whacking the kids over the head every now and again was pretty hillarious.
Borsk said:
I'm in favor of more Fleur time.
Hahahahahahahaha! Yeah, I have a feeling a spin off at Beaubatons would be geared slightly to the male population. Hey, and why was there not one chubby Beaubatons girl? I mean, that's just impossible.
wookiee_cookiee said:
I liked the actor who was Barty Crouch, he played a farmer on the BBC show Vicar of Dibley. He can be hilarious. I'm sad that he's dead already.
Wait.. what? Do you mean the carachter dead or the real guy?
wookiee_cookiee said:
I agree about Dumbledore, I like this guy, but he seems too spirited. Richard Harris played him more relaxed. I like a calm Dumbledore.
I love Michael Gambon, not that I didn't love Richard Harris, but Gambon seems to be more like the Dumbledore in the book, though he can seem a little bit too aggressive at times.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I liked this movie a lot :D

I liked the fiji-mermaid shaped mer-people :p

music was good..but not emphasized.....but then someitmes they'd crank it n the other movies..adn I hate to say this but some of them just sound like compilations of other Williams soundtracks :p Look...Harry's flying through Jurassic Naboo! Oh..waitaminute :confused:

I liked Moody alot, even though my mental image in the books was thinner and grayer...like the US book illustrations.

I don't think there is a point for Harry Goin g through all that to get to the graveyard, other than perhaps make sure he is worthy. It is a children's book after all.....a lot of plot elements ahve to be taken for granted. :D

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
CreepyBunny said:
Wait.. what? Do you mean the character dead or the real guy?

The character. ;) Oh and I missed Emma Thompson's character, because she is one of my faves...but I can't remember if she was in book 4...I guess I should just reread it...again.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
I'd rank them as this:
1) Prisoner of Azkaban
2) Sorcerer's Stone
3) Chamber of Secrets
4) Goblet of Fire

Maybe I need to see Goblet of Fire a few more times before I appreciate it...I think it all felt rushed to me. Hopefully my opinion will change. ;)

IG-PPO

Sith Hamsters Handler
I saw yesterday, and like it. But I haven't read the books so I don't rellay know what was left out. My friend had read all the books and she was a little disapoitment with the movie. She felt the movie could have been done better with sumarizing a long book like this one.

Darth Daddy

New Recruit
There was a ton of stuff left out. Like how Harry could summon his broom when fighting the dragon and so forth, but in the time frame, the movie did very well.

Steve

CreepyBunny

Infiltrator
darthskelington said:
music was good..but not emphasized.....but then someitmes they'd crank it n the other movies..adn I hate to say this but some of them just sound like compilations of other Williams soundtracks :p Look...Harry's flying through Jurassic Naboo! Oh..waitaminute :confused:

Hahahaha... Jurassic Naboo

Goblet of Fire was my favorite movie, Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite book, and I'm going to marry Sirius Black... oh wait... nevermind...