Sabers and Lazers

Mike628

New Recruit
Barada took the words right out of my mouth... Thanks :), I do have something to add about realism in SW. Look at the Lightsaber, It's light, how can it possibly be in a solid state of matter so that the Lightsabers Clash, in reality they would just pass through one another. If anyone has any idea how light can be a solid state as shown in the movies please let me know.

Barada

Saboteur
For example, let's look at lasers. They are also a type of light, yet they can be used in the real world as a cutting tool. I think it has to do with the density of the light. I haven't been in any science classes since my grad from university a few years ago, so I can't give you specifics. Light is still made up of a property (photons? my memory is fading a bit), and if they are really compressed, you can develop light with a mass. I'm pretty sure this is what lasers actually are.

The bigger question isn't how light can act as a solid, but how a lightsaber is able to have a defined end to it? Light should continue until it hits a surface to relect it back.

Barada

Mike628

New Recruit
Actually I work with lasers for a living! Surprise, Surprise Well anyway, trying to not get to technical, a lasers power is determined by the material that is used to jump the electrons to their excited state which in turn creates the light that is used for the laser. the second is the focus of the laser (their are others but these are the prominent), if you take a LAG laser and havea beam that is 6 inches in diameter it's relativly harmless, focus it too 6 microns and I can take your finger off. Laser "light" is not dense and doesn't "cut" persay, in most cases it vaporizes the material it comes in contact with becasue of the intense heat that the laser generates. I know what your saying is that the sabres may act as an excelerator that would casue the protons to speed upto the rate that they are right next to one another and compacting them. while this may create a pretty intense and powerful laser,I don't believe it would create the density we are lookin for. For it to be a solid beam like we see in the movies we are lookin for a molecular bond that would hold the lightsabres beam together with no distortion. A bond of this type is really only found in solids. If the sabre blade takes the property of a solid that means the opposite would happen on the molecular level it would all slow down thus allowing a bond to form between molecules and slowing light down to that speed is Impossible.

While I do work with lasers for a living I am by no means an expert, Any Noble Winning Physicists out there?

Captain REX

New Recruit
Plus, it's just fantasy. :D

and in Star Wars, there is a focusing crystal (preferably Adegan) that turns the light energy into a blade. The lasers are condensed light and intense heat. Lasers are easier to explain in real life than lightsabers.