Celebration III Figure Revealed!

Barada

Saboteur
20050121_1_bg.jpg

Straight from the Official Site.

Exclusive Action Figure Revealed: Darth Vader -- His Voice! -- At Celebration III
January 21, 2005

Attention Star Wars action figure fans, and fans of unique, exclusive collectibles: Darth Vader himself, or rather his voice, will be appearing at Star Wars Celebration III this April 21 to 24 when Hasbro and Lucasfilm unveil the new Darth Vader Celebration III action figure.
None other than James Earl Jones, the legendary voice of Darth Vader, recorded new phrases exclusively for this special figure. The figure, a commanding Vader, is mounted on an exclusive base and in exclusive Celebration III packaging, and it ... speaks!

Read the entire article here.

Barada

Saboteur
Exclusive Action Figure Revealed: Darth Vader -- His Voice! -- At Celebration III
January 21, 2005

Attention Star Wars action figure fans, and fans of unique, exclusive collectibles: Darth Vader himself, or rather his voice, will be appearing at Star Wars Celebration III this April 21 to 24 when Hasbro and Lucasfilm unveil the new Darth Vader Celebration III action figure.
None other than James Earl Jones, the legendary voice of Darth Vader, recorded new phrases exclusively for this special figure. The figure, a commanding Vader, is mounted on an exclusive base and in exclusive Celebration III packaging, and it ... speaks!

Jones' recorded lines for the figure include: "The dark side of the Force is strong with you;" "Your journey to the dark side is now complete;" "Prepare to experience the Revenge of the Sith. It is your destiny;" and the soon-to-be-legendary "Welcome to Star Wars Celebration III. Never will you find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." There is also a recording of the iconic Darth Vader breathing.

The figure is especially appropriate considering the May 19th premiere of Episode III Revenge of the Sith, in which Anakin Skywalker makes his transformation into Darth Vader, the villain whose chilling presence helped make the first Star Wars trilogy so memorable.

"Darth Vader is the villain everybody loves to hate, and hates to love," says Derek Stothard, Director of Toys at Lucas Licensing. "He's coming back in Episode III and we're telling his story. We are closing the circle, and bringing the saga back to the beginning of A New Hope."

When Hasbro and Lucasfilm started planning the new figure for Celebration III they considered a number of ideas, including producing another George Lucas-inspired figure based on the popularity of "Jorg Sacul" at Celebration II. They also considered producing a talking C-3PO figure.

"We discussed using a voice chip in that figure, because C-3PO has such funny and memorable sound qualities in his dialogue," says Stothard. "But as the project took shape, it became obvious that this would be the 'Year of Darth Vader.'"

The team decided to see if James Earl Jones would be available to provide new lines for the toy, providing a landmark collectible for Star Wars fans at Celebration III. He was.

"To have James Earl Jones’ voice in this figure speaking directly to the fans at Celebration III ... that is really something special," Stothard adds.

Darth Vader comes in a unique Celebration III package, mounted on a stand reminiscent of the interior of Cloud City. The packaging reflects well-thought engineering with collectors in mind. The voice mechanism can be operated without opening the carded figure. But even more important, the batteries that power the speaking voice can be changed from the back of the stand without disturbing the packaging. This is a Vader for the ages!

While he's pleased with the special battery feature, Star Wars collecting authority Steve Sansweet is reminded that there is far more to this Vader than just a great presentation.

"This figure takes one of the best lines of the movie and makes it into a virtual souvenir of Celebration III," says Sansweet, Head of Fan Relations at Lucasfilm. "It will remind people of the wonderful time they had at the show, and of the sense of community that permeates Star Wars."

Considering the "hive of scum and villainy" remark Sansweet adds "And fans can laugh at themselves, too."

In response to the "feeding frenzy" over the Jorg Sacul figure at Celebration II, Lucasfilm, Hasbro, and Gen Con LLC, which runs the show, have devised plans to try to make sure that the new Vader figure is easier to purchase and more fairly distributed.

More information:

Sold at the Celebration III Store, planned for Exhibit Hall F in the Indiana Convention Center, April 21 - 24, 2005.
Quantities divided among all four days of the show; some will be sold each day while supplies last.

Price: $15.00, including tax.

Quantities are limited per person and badge type. Individuals with 4-day badges may purchase a total of 4 action figures, while supplies last. Those with 1-day badges may purchase 1 action figure, while supplies last.

The Celebration III Store staff will punch badges for each purchase, one punch per figure. For example, if a 4-day badge holder purchases 2 figures, they may go back to the store and purchase 2 more at a different time. There will be specific areas marked on the badges for the punches.

starfox27

New Recruit
is this not the sweetest exclusive figure even....it looks awesome and to top it off, it talks! who's going that can pick up extras for those of us that are not lucky enough to go???

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Looks to be a pretty nice concept, from figure to design and package. Although, after reading the headline, I was slightly disappointed it wasn't a James Earl Jones figure. Doh! :p See what happens when you jump to conclusions ;)

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
Would have been nice to see a Anakin or even Luke under the mask feature....but this looks pretty good. Thank goodness its not another Lucas or even McCallum figure like everyone was saying...

JEDI FREIJAN

a.k.a. Darth Kraam
Aussie, my bestest friend.hope you have a four day pass.I'll be you friend
forever & ever.how about it? Eh?

By the way this would be the coolest figure on this planet.pitty it may not fit in a star case.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Actually, I was surfing around the other day and ended up at actionfigurehq or some store like that and saw a headline for E3 star cases. Perhaps it will fit? I clicked on a the link for more info, but had an error and I haven't been back.

starfox27

New Recruit
darthskelington said:
Actually, I was surfing around the other day and ended up at actionfigurehq or some store like that and saw a headline for E3 star cases. Perhaps it will fit? I clicked on a the link for more info, but had an error and I haven't been back.

wish you could find that info, everyone wants a new case for their E3 figures and none of the old ones work....

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Did a little searching, and I can't turn anything up. I suspect it must have been an overzealous post by someone, or perhaps some poor editing in trying to sell some cases of E3 figures. I checked out the Protech website and found nothing. Another case maker, Protecto-Pak (mostly for Hot Wheels style product), has no word either. :(

I suspect making a rounded packaging is more difficult. Also, I think it is probably in their best interest to wait and find out exactly what size the cards will be coming in, rather than invest in a case that immediately becomes obsolete because it only fits some fo the new product.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
This looks like possibly the best figure yet! Can't wait to stand around in line for ages......I hope they're not handing out crumpled ones....

Jedi Daniel

Geek Jedi
Now that is a Star Wars figure :) I'm going to need to start saving for this one because I can see I will be paying a pretty penny for it.