So who here collects trading cards?

Nightwing

New Recruit
I was only 4 years old when the original Star Wars trading cards came out, but I still remember getting them. Of course, being so young, like with the figures, I did what any kid would with them- enjoy them, and play with them- not keep them in mint condition. And another thing if I remember correctly- each pack came with a stick of gum :p

Then, in 1994- probably due to the fact that Dark Horse comics had started the Star Wars trend again with the Dark Empire comics, Topps came out with Star Wars Galaxy trading cards- a mixture of classic and new art. This was followed by two sequels to the series, as well as a Millenium Falcon factory set and a series two deluxe tin set.

Soon, Star Wars Mastervisions was released. Each box contained one set(36)You could buy them induvidualy, but it was more common to just get the whole box. It featured art from Star Wars Galaxy, but these were comic-size, and also featured some art that never made it to Star Wars Galaxy cards

From there, all sorts of sets were made. There was Star Wars Widevision, which, no pun intended, expanded the trading card world as we know it today. They completed the trilogy with The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi- both series- expanding on the number of cards than in the original Star Wars Widevision.

Then there is probably my favorite set so far: Star Wars Finest- a 90 card set of the Star Wars Universe characters(Borsk, you're #12), including the original trilogy and comics, as drawn by some of the best artists around.

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, a set drawn 100% by Tim and Greg Hildebrandt based on the huge Star Wars event that crossed over into all areas was also made.

Star Wars 3Di was something of a revolution. A full set featuring card that "moved". May be common now, Not back then. There was also a Star Wars: Episode I 3D set.

Star Wars Trilogy was released when the original films were rereleased in the theatres. It focused specifically on the first film where changes had been made, and also had cards for the other two films. Again, they kept the widevision look

Star Wars Chrome Archive is another great set, take the original cards that Topps used way back when, and refining them, then puttim on chromium. They even kept the same fromt borders and backs :) 30 cards per film

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace produced 2 sets, both in widevision(if you look at series II, you can see on the back of one of the cards that they have Watto with the hat that they say was dropped, but now is in Ep. II)

And the latest offering from Topps, is Star Wars Evolution- a guide to all the characters in all the films.

But Topps wasn't the only company to produce cards. Metallic Impressions also did, and then there's the matter of chase cards, but those are two whole different stories...

Vader's Obsession

New Recruit
Yes, I too have been collecting the cards since I was but a wee lad, and after almost 25 years of it, I now understand why they call the damn things cardboard crack. at first you just want the basic set, but then you get just one or two of the chase cards, and youve got to have those as well. then by chance you get a promotional card, and then youve got to have all of them too. pretty soon, if youre like me, you have somehow managed to get just about every card (at least for the US).

ah, but I love them anyway. and the most recent release, Evolution, was definitely one of the coolest, as far as chase cards went. dont get me wrong, the basic set was pretty cool, but having autographed cards of even minor stars was great.

I could go on about the others, but in the next few months, I should have my section open here, which will ultimately list every card made in the US: basic, chase, promo and promotional sets (of which there are many). in the meantime, any questions about star wars cards, Im your man.