Farewell to Artoosnews.com

Barada

Saboteur
While not much of a visitor there myself, I'm sure many of you here that were are a little disappointed at the following message posted by their admin:

I am writing this news post to bring the entire community some sad news. ArtoosNews will be closing at midnight Tuesday February 24, 2004.<p>

It has been a great five years at this community, but, due to a few circumstances beyond out control we will no longer be able to operate. As many of you know, Artoo decided to leave the site about a month ago. He offered the site to me, but since then, we have not been able to transfer ownership of the site. We had plans to bring the entire site and it's contents to a new domain name with the same staff, same community and same features, but the situation behind the scenes has worn on myself, Tony and Mike to the point where we do not have the energy to continue on.<p>

In addition, a new site has opened up that is run by former staff member and current top forum poster in ArtoosNews, Yoda027. This was done in secret and none of the current staff had any knowledge about these happenings. Needless to say, we are confused at this new site since his contributions to the forums were always welcome by all and he was an extremely active member.<p>

I think I can speak for the entire staff when I say that I was most proud of this site and it's contents. We may not have always been first on the block with the news, but we always made great efforts to see that we bought the same great content to you that we believed you expected, from the casual news post, to the most awesome customs to the best darn Visual Guides on the net!<p>

There are many great Star Wars web sites out in the galaxy, and I am sure that you will all find great new communities to share you thoughts and ask your questions in. I am sure to see all of you in at least a handful of them.<p>

On a personal note, I am honored to have worked with such a talented and energized staff during my time here and also to have been accepted as a friend within the community. While the site will be here no longer, remember, the Force runs strong through us all and out love of the story of Star Wars will always keep this community together in one form or another.<p>

<b>May the Force be with you...Always....</b>

Whether you liked them, hated them, or simply didn't even know they existed, it is always sad to see another site go down. I guess that puts an end to the Scavenger Hunts :( .

Barada

First Jundlandwastes and now Artoosnews. :(

I very much enjoyed R2N. My cabinet collapsed off the wall a couple of weeks ago and I needed a reference guide to figure out what line some of my figures came from so spent awhile in their visual guides. They were a solid foundation in the Star Wars universe and will be painfully missed.

I'd like to extend my utmost sorrow to the regular users of R2N. I don't see it much different then your home burning down.

Goodbye Artoosnews. Its an utter shame.:(

Darth Aussie

Australian Sith Lord
I didn't visit there much but yes it is a shame to see another site go. After all we're in the same thing together ....SW

May the Force go with them:(

Wicked_Wicket

Crazy Ewok
Yes, there's no doubt the Scavenger Hunts will be missed, as the VG's will be too...

I guess each Star Wars site has something unique about it. And you put them all together, and you've got one very interesting and exciting fan base...

Barada

Saboteur
Hey Wicket,

On a personal note - I can tell from the posts yesterday that you are very upset and frustrated. I don't know if you have even considered a 'new home', but on behalf of TBS, I'd like to welcome you and all other former R2N members that find your way here. I think you'll find that we have very friendly forums here also, and are more than willing to accept new people into our community.

Best wishes,

Barada

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
I'm going to miss the trivia droid. :( Although I haven't been very active over there, I used to live in their chat room. And it was their site that started my sw collecting. Now it feels like it is all at an end. :crying: I made some good friends over there too.

wc aka keroppi947!!

Wicked_Wicket

Crazy Ewok
Hey* there, Barada.

Thank you for the warm greeting. Yes, I've been to these forums before, and I agree that they are definitely more friendly then other forums may be.

It is sad to see ArtoosNews go, but like I've said elsewhere - one part of our journey is over; another part has begun.

*Edit - spelling.

dustrho

S.C.A.L.P. Wpns Supplier
Originally posted by Wicked_Wicket
Well, the ArtoosNews forums are gone. Everything is gone...

It is sad to see a forum like that just shut down. I might not have been a major poster over there (had about 200+ posts), but it was a good place and their visual guides were the best.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Wasn't much of a visitor, but didperuse the visual guides more than once. A shame that such a good site is now gone.

wookiee_cookiee

Staff member
Did they move their visual guides to another site or anything? They were a good resource, it would be sad if whoever did all that work just lost everything that they did.

dustrho

S.C.A.L.P. Wpns Supplier
Originally posted by wookiee_cookiee
Did they move their visual guides to another site or anything? They were a good resource, it would be sad if whoever did all that work just lost everything that they did.

I believe those visual guides are gone. :(

Deathstar

Visit vacation paradise!
Bummer man. Hate to see a well run SW site like that go down for the count.
I was having a jolly good time on the Death Star Plans before it went kaput. Missed it for a while, but was able to move on.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Originally posted by wookiee_cookiee

What i have heard is that there is at least one site that is trying to bring the images from r2's visual guide onto theirs.