Young Jedi Knights

Dark Jedi

Banned
These are a series of novels wich I love, here is the one I have at the moment, it stars Jacen and Jaina solo who are in the Jedi Academy

YJKLS.jpg

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I have about half of this series, but would like to read them all some day. These are the only pre-AOTC and NJO novels I haven't read. They are a fun read, and have some nice character development. They are a little continuity-limited though, as they were written prior to Hand of Thrawn and other such important books. However, the stars of these books are Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka (?) and Lowbacca, rather than Luke, Mara, etc. Given this, they never really contradict any continuity either, they just don't mention it.

I've only read the first 4-5 books--I need to pick up some others before I can continue. Of course, I need to find the time to read too :rolleyes:

There is a short story by NJO author Elaine Cunningham in Star Wars Gamer Magazine #5, entitled The Crystal. The story stars Jaina and deals with her graduation from the Jedi Academy. It makes a nice, but brief, transition from the Young Jedi Knights to the New Jedi Order era. Fills in one of the empty spots in continuity. :)

Rancisis

Jedi Trainer
Does anyone have a complete list of all these books?
Would like to buy them someday, but only if it's a complete set...

Zepp

Interstellar Buccaneer
Young Jedi Knights. It started out in 96 with a 6 book arc, followed by another five book arc and concluding with a trilogy.

Young Jedi Knights: Heirs of the Force
Young Jedi Knights: Shadow Academy
Young Jedi Knights: The Lost Ones
Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers
Young Jedi Knights: The Darkest Knight
Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Under Siege
Young Jedi Knights: Shards of Alderaan
Young Jedi Knights: Diversity Alliance
Young Jedi Knights: Delusions of Grandeur
Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Bounty
Young Jedi Knights: The Emperor's Plague
Young Jedi Knights: Return to Ord Mantell
Young Jedi Knights: Trouble on Cloud City
Young Jedi Knights: Crisis at Crystal Reef

And then you get to the New Jedi Order which is a grand story arc with minor arcs, trilofies etc intermittent...

New Jedi Order: Vector Prime
New Jedi Order: Onslaught
New Jedi Order: Ruin
New Jedi Order: Hero's Trial
New Jedi Order: Jedi Eclipse
New Jedi Order: Balance Point
New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest
New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
New Jedi Order: Recovery
New Jedi Order: Star by Star
New Jedi Order: Dark Journey
New Jedi Order: Rebel Dream
New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
New Jedi Order: Traitor
New Jedi Order: Ylesia
New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way
New Jedi Order: Force Heretic I: Remnant
New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee
New Jedi Order: Force Heretic III: Reunion
New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy
New Jedi Order: Unifing Force

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Those NJO books are "adult" / "young adult" books, while the "Young Jedi Knights" are kids' books (larger print and some sketched pictures).

There are more of the "Young Jedi Knights"-style books, but I'm not sure how many - I know there's a few young Boba Fett stories set around the time of Episode I and II which I can't see in your list. :)

You'd have a difficult job finding many of the "Young Jedi Knights" books these days. You'd probably have to go to the second-hand market. (VERY few ever turned up in shops here.) :(

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
If i'm not mistaken, about a month ago when I was in Books-A-Million, I noticed they were selling new collected paperbacks of the Young Jedi Knights books.

I think maybe 3 books in one. I could be wrong, but I took note of it because it was something new. You might try their website at www.bamm.com

There are a whle bunch of Jedi apprentice books, which take place roughly twelve years prior to Episode I, and deal with Obi-Wan's early apprenticeship with Qui-Gon. Again, I've read the first few books, but not all, as I don't own all of them. I imagine the entire story arc covers a few years time.

The then put out a book called Jedi Apprentice: Jedi Quest, which delt with Obi-Wan and Anakin (they made this into a comic later). From this point on, the series continued as Jedi Quest with Obi and Ani. I don't have any of these. They have also put out a special called Jedi Legacy, that ties together four generations of Jedi (Dooku-->Qui-Gon-->Obi-Wan-->Anakin).

The Boba Fett series follows Boba following AOTC. I don't own any of these.

I believe the entire Jedi Apprentice series is:

1. The Rising Force
2. The Dark Rival
3. The Hidden Past
4. The Mark of the Crown
5. The Defenders of the Dead
6. The Uncertain Path
7. The Captive Temple
8. The Day of Reckoning
9. The Fight for Truth
10. The Shattered Peace
11. The Deadly Hunter
12. The Evil Experiment
13. The Dangerous Rescue
14. The Ties That Bind
15. The Death of Hope
16. The Call to Vengeance
17. The Only Witness

The ones I've read are all independent stories, but they might as well be chapters in a much larger novel, as they just keep building character development for young Obi-Wan.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Here's a few of the Boba Fetts, based on teh nice timeline in the Hasbro Clone Wars short story collection. (Which came with my Geonosian Fighter Christmas present :D )

Boba Fett #1: The Fight to Survive (set immediately following events of AOTC)
Boba Fett #2: Crossfire (1 month after AOTC)
Boba Fett #3: Maze of Deception (1.5 months after AOTC)
Boba Fett #4: Hunted (2 months after AOTC)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
The timeline in the front of the paperback "adult" novels doesn't list actual titles (or list young Boba Fett again), but it does say:
  • - Jedi Apprentice series (44 years before Episode IV)

- Junior Jedi Knights series (22 years after Episode IV)

- Young Jedi Knights series (23-24 years after Episode IV)
That makes four sets of kids' books to find and buy. :(

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
The JJK books are:

1. The Golden Globe
2. Lyric's World
3. Promises
4. Anakin's Quest
5. Vader's Fortress
6. Kenobi's Blade

Again, I don't own these. They follow the adventures of Anakin Solo at the academy, I guessing around age ten (don't feel like researching the math :p ). I think Tahiri might have been introduced in these, but I don't know. These are "Young Reader" style books, and are small with large print.

The Young Jedi Knights are Young Adult style novels, and while not as expansive as the regular novels, are still a lengthy read.

The Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest/Boba Fett books are more along the lines of Young Jedi Knights, despite being in oversize Scholastic softcovers.

I consider all of these to be worthy reads, if you want to get the "whole picture". I picked up many of the YJK unitl the price point became an issue. $7 for such a small novel was hard to justify. I might go the BAMM tomorrow, and see what those collected ones are selling for.

I picked up the first 8 or so Jedi Apprentice books at thrift strores cheaply, but it will be difficult to get the last half of the series that way. The first four issues saw massive print runs, and were clearanced heavily by TRU. After that, only people who followed the series bought them, so the later issues will be much more difficult to obtain.

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
I stopped at Books A Million today, and checked out their YJK books. The collected version I spoke of does exist.

It's titled Star Wars: Jedi Shadow, and collects the first three YJK books. It retails for $7.99, which is fairly resonable. I did not see any other collections, nor did I see mention of others inside the book. I imagine they will at least finish the first story arc (books 4-6). After that, I'm not sure if sales would warrant it. :(

A good deal though if you want to start picking up the series.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
According to the release schedule on TheForce.net books section, the second collection is (was!) due for release in Deceber 2003 - Jedi Sunrise containing Young Jedi Knights issues 4, 5 and 6.

They also list:
  • - Jedi Quest #7: The Moment Of Truth (just released)
    - Jedi Quest #8: The Changing Of The Guard (March 2004)
    - Jedi Quest #9: The False Peace (March 2004)
    - Jedi Quest #10 {not yet titled} (August 2005) - evidently the last in this series

- Boba Fett #4: Hunted (just released)
    - Boba Fett #5: A New Threat (April 2004)
:)