Enter our Christmas Giveaways

mynock11

Sith Medic
This is one of the best sites going! I love it the contests are great! the news updates and the forums are awsome. i really dont post much because i am not very elequint, but i do enjoy this site alot and the people are great. i hope that this site continues to provide the news and entertainment that it has in the past. I dont know what i would do without it.....

Cornfritter

Snowtrooper
Yeah, I'm a clicker more than a poster also. But I have to agree with some of the complaints. People who are loyal to the site and consider it their "home" site should benefit a little more than others. Maybe two entries per member or something like that.

Thanks for the explanation Amshak. That makes sense.

Another Unified Site contest. Awesome! Can't wait!

Darth Dug

New Recruit
Originally posted by Cornfritter
Yeah, I'm a clicker more than a poster also. But I have to agree with some of the complaints. People who are loyal to the site and consider it their "home" site should benefit a little more than others. Maybe two entries per member or something like that.

Thanks for the explanation Amshak. That makes sense.

Another Unified Site contest. Awesome! Can't wait!
That is me as well. Although also from a lack of time. I try to visit regularly. But, I rarely post. Just my nature here.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I didn't win anything in this contest either, but I have just received a Silver Boba Fett I won in a New Zealand-only contest - so I'm happy. :D

There's a boo-boo on the back of the card. It says "Distributed in New Zealand by Hasbro Australia" followed by Hasbro New Zealand's address. :rolleyes:

"People who are loyal to the site and consider it their "home" site should benefit a little more than others. Maybe two entries per member or something like that."

Then one would have to take into consideration what is defined as a "loyal" member here. I don't know how many times I click on a story and someone has just replied' "Oh cool!", "Wow!", or "I entered." Sure, I could post two to three word replies to every post, would that make me "loyal"? Hell, if that is what will make my chances of winning even better, then I'm all for it! (sarcasim) :p

Cornfritter

Snowtrooper
I don't know how many times I click on a story and someone has just replied' "Oh cool!", "Wow!", or "I entered." Sure, I could post two to three word replies to every post, would that make me "loyal"? Hell, if that is what will make my chances of winning even better, then I'm all for it! (sarcasim)

Thanks Rogueace.:) I guess I didn't think it through.

Jaguar

New Recruit
Sorry I'm late, but congrats to the winners.

So how many people entered this contest? Just to get an idea of what the odds were.

Irrelevant really. The sponsors donate prizes for exposure. What would you want if you were a sponsor? 15 loyal site members, 85 casual members, or 158 anybodies who are potential customers to your store?

These were some big prizes. The more exposure the better (imo). I enjoy TBS for what it is. We should just let them do what they want to with the site.;)

Gee, and I thought that if I posted "(sarcasim)" in my post, I was actually dipping below the intelligent level by telling people that I was joking. Obviously you, Mr. Solo, didn't catch that. It was A JOKE in response to earlier posts. Actually, I should thank you for solidifying my point all along about anyone winning contest there at TBS, Thank you. In the future, please read ALL posts ahead of time. Thanks again.

yours truely, Rogueace200

Don't get me wrong, I've been following the post from the very beginning of the contest. I was trying to help people understand where we stand as TBS's regular posters, winning wasn't the "golden ring" of the point it was in the fun and helping our community grow and prosper.

Since I started here last spring I've excelled to be at the doorstep of the top ten posters. I have joked back and forth with Coruscant Costa, argued with Yoda Man (;)) and learned alot from AmShak and the regulars. Whenever we've had blockbuster contests and had winners outside of the regular site users, some have decided to flare their feelings against the results. I wanted to keep feelings subdued before the situation inflated as in the past. I know you were playing with your previous post.

I just witnessed a similar event that got out of control take place at BeJedi.com . They had just started a point system to reward users for contributing to the site. Before they could get all the wrinkles ironed out, some of the users started getting angry to the stage of almost demanding points. You can see simularities in a few of our contests from before.

Joking around is fine and all as long as its clearly understood. I did catch your joke and both the posts were funny. I didn't want to see these end results compare to some previous contests. I apologize if my last post seemed to attack you. It should could have been worded better. All in all, I was trying to point out the advertising value for sponsor with the method used to structure that particular contest.

I agree with you and the quote taken from Cornfritter "People who are loyal to the site and consider it their "home" site should benefit a little more than others. Maybe two entries per member or something like that." It sounds like a great idea. Maybe it will be taken into consideration for future contests.

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Congratulations to all the winners.

I do like the idea of two entries for members, seems like an avenue worth considering. Dunno if there are other problems it might create though. Still, its a great idea and possibly should be tried out in a small way? I'd be interested to hear from the Mods on this one. Thoughts, guys?

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
that point system seemed like more trouble than it would be worth. I haven't looked at bejedi.com's point system but from i can gather it is patterned after the alltroops.com point system. when todd started that, he asked if tbs wanted to be involved and allow the points to transfer back and forth between the sites. i looked at his ideas on it and thought about it for a while and decided it would require more work to keep organized and under control than i was willing to commit to. It seems to work fine for alltroops but i still don't see doing anything like that here. it's not a matter of us not wanting to give the edge to those who are willing to put out a bit more effort but i don't think it would be fair to everyone who was willing to try. then you also have to define what is and is not "point" worthy which is not as easy as it sounds when you are trying to be fair to all.

anyway, that is a dead topic for me, but i mention it only as an example of how it would present the same problems for trying to determine who was a "loyal" member or vistor.

for example, you have vistor #1 who has never registered in the forums but visits the site everyday and reads the news or the posts in the forums or checks out one of the sections and spends thousands of dollars at one or more of our sponsors and you have vistor #2 who has never spent a dime at any of our sponsors but posts in the forums on a daily basis.

now, i could care less if anyone buys anything from our sponsors or not. that's up to you and how you collect and how you spend. i think we have some good sponsors who are completely reliable and safe to buy from. in my position, i hear things that may or may not be true about some of the online retailers but we've always stayed away from the ones who seem to have a cloud over them. Anyway, i'm drifting from the subject... my point was that if i asked my sponsors (where the prizes come from) who the more loyal vistors are, then they will say the ones that spend the money at their sites.

another problem with defining what a loyal vistor or member may be is that we may have one guy who post 10 replies that do little to further the conversation in a thread, let alone spark any new thoughts and we have another member who only posts once in a week and it is a very well thought, creative topic and opens the door for much conversation between the members and the thread becomes several pages long. IMO, in this instance, the member who only posted once has actually been more of a benefit to the site and the community. it is a huge gray area that is impossible to define.

so, you are probably reading all of this and saying "what does this really mean to me?" ....... i dunno ....... I compliment the sites out there that are trying to strengthen their communities by rewarding their "loyal" members, but i think it is important to know that the community extends much further than that and my goal is not to exclude those that may be just on the other side of where ever you may think the line is while doing my best to help those that think they are on this side of the line.

there are some ideas being developed for TBS by your "loyal" staff that should benefit those who contribute in the forums and possibly in other areas of the site. until those ideas become a reality, i doubt much will change in the way we currently do our contest and games. I will give the "forum members get two entries" idea some thought, but the idea is not to make this any more difficult than it has to be for me or any of the other staff and at the moment, i don't really see that being a benefit to any of the "loyal" members .... only increasing the "member count".

for anyone who gets frustarted because they haven't won a contest or hasn't won enough contests ...... all i can say is ..... eliminate your frustration and don't enter the contest or play the games. to everyone else .... good luck.

First of all, I would like to appologize to Chris Solo for any negative remarks. I was a little defensive about your post, only to see tha you were saying what I was trying to say all along.

Second, to AmShak and the TBS crew for cauing any problems during this thread.

I just want to state that I was never complaining about who won or how the contests were determined. I was merely trying to hush the whiners who don't win. Since real names were posted and not TBS forum names, unless you are a mod, we have no way of knowing who is a "loyal" member. I hated to see the winners of this contest be scrutinized because they won something. I'm sure that is not how TBS wants their contests to end everytime. Sure, someone will always complain about not winning. But until it is deteremined what a "loyal" member's requirements are, no one has the right to complain about who won.

Once again, I appologize for any chaos or confusion.

Rogueace2000

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
rogueace and everyone else who has posted in this thread is ok in my book. there were just some comments made that seemed to need an explanation from TBS. Actually, i'm quite surprized at the life of this thread and I don't really think any explanation should be needed .... but it's still going and apparently it did.

One more comment from me... more forum members win these things than it seems some people think. We don't use forum names and real names together because some people would not like everyone to be able to put 2 and 2 together. Actually, some people who seem to be complaining are people who have already won at least one contest here at TBS, so i'm a little confused at where their gripe comes from.

unless we have a thread like this after every contest, we will continue to have games and contests. And for those out there who have not won anything yet, chances are you eventually will.