Hard Cover, Paper Back, Audio...

When I buy my SW novels, I like to get them in the form of a...

• Hardcover

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Paperback

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Audio Book (tape or CD)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hardcover & Paperback

• Hardcover & Audio Book

• Paperback & Audio Book

• All three types!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

BlueHarvest

New Recruit
I am also curious as to how you enjoy the SW stories... Do you collect the hard covers... Paperback only, or do you prefer Audio Book form (tape or CD)?

Vader's Obsession

New Recruit
I prefer the paperbacks, just because they're easier to read and carry around. Books I collect in hardback usually have a higher quality format, paper, typeset, etc.: but the Star Wars hardbacks rarely fall into this category. I think the only ones I have are the original Zahn trilogy.

The books are hit or miss, depending greatly on the author. Timothy Zahn kicks ass, while Michael Stackpole has some real stinkers :bash: (i.e. I Jedi - just take my word for it, don't subject yourself to it). The New Jedi Order also has some real promise, although I've only read the first few of those. However, they killed Chewbacca in this series, so I hate them forever.:crying:

Nightwing

New Recruit
depends on the type of book- if it's an adaptation of the film or part of the Heir to the Empire Trilogy, then hardcover. if not, then paperback

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Originally posted by Jedi Daniel
Paperback.

Because they are cheaper, smaller and store better in my bookcase.
Plus, paperbacks ...
  • - are easier to find (many bookshops don't get the hardbacks, except perhaps the movie novels),

- often come with extras not found in the hardback version (eg. short stories "previously only available as an ebook"),

- easier to hold while reading (not that I've gotten around to reading any of my collection yet).
:)

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
I missed one:

- some of the stories don't actually come in hard back versions (or so I've been told anyway).

I wouldn't mind getting the audio-book versions too, but they're expensive and hard to find here. :(

darthskellington

Dark Lord of the Typos
Hey, I like Stackpole's work :guns:

I get mine in paperback, but I do get the occaisional hb, expecially if the price is right. I'm far enough behind on my reading that waiting for the softcover isn't that big a deal.

Most fo the books that came out only in softcover are available as hardcovers from those through-the-mail book clubs. Usually they come as an all in one book (Jedi Academy Trilogy). I think some of the NJO books come as two-in-one hardcovers. The prices are pretty fair, but I've never been motivated enough to join a cook club just to get them.

Audiobooks are okay, but what I like are the full-cast audios. It's like listening to a radio drama. I have the Dark Empire (I & II) audio books on tape, and they're quite entertaining. (BTW, Empire's End is only available in audiobook form as part of the Dark Empire CD set, which is rather hard to find)

I remember back in, say, 1992 my local NPR radio station played the SW radio drama. I listened to it every week--great fun.

dustrho

S.C.A.L.P. Wpns Supplier
I voted for Paperback because I like to be able to just throw it in my bag and read on the train to work. It's nice and lightweight, so it's easy to take with you anywhere you go.