The History of Toys

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
1759 Roller-skates are invented by Joseph Merlin.
«
1928 Mickey Mouse is created by Walt Disney. The licensed toy is born.
«
1929 Duncan Yo Yo's are first launched
«
1936 The Parker Brothers invent Monopoly.
«
1949 Ole Christiansen, invents Lego bricks. Just six bricks will fit together in 102,981,500 ways!
«
1952 Mr Potato Head is launched. Jack O'dell creates the first Matchbox car.
«
1957 The Frisbee is invented at 'The Frisbee Pie Factory'
«
1958 The Hula Hoop arrives, the first toy craze.
«
1959 Play Doh goes on sale, firstly as a wallpaper cleaner! Barbie is born.
«
1973 Magnavox introduce the first home video game, featuring a paddle and ball game.
«
1976 Atari, a video tennis game is sold to Warner Bros. The redesign it as a home video machine that can play different cartridge based games that will never catch on !
«
1977 Star Wars is launched, the toys change the face of the toy industry forever. Star wars causes the first toy shortages and retailers sell 'promise certificates' for Star Wars toys.
«
1980 Rubiks Cube is launched.
«
1981 The release of the Star Wars sequel, The Empire Strikes Back sees many children clamouring for an ATAT walker, the biggest and most expensive toy produced at the time, a whopping £29.95!
«
1983 'He Man & The Masters of the Universe' becomes the toy craze of the year, following on from a hugely successful TV cartoon. Two Japanese inventions appear in this year, Transforming robots called Robo Machines and a small electronics company called Nintendo launches a home video games machine, the NES.
«
1984 The 3rd Star Wars movie, Return of the Jedi is released. The films now had the largest range of toys ever produced, a record that continues to this day. In 1984 there were a total of 95 Star wars figures alone!
«
1988 Raphael, Michelangelo, Donatello and Leonardo become household names. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are launched.
«
1993 Ty Warner begins to market Beanie Babies in the USA. They are not an instant success.
«
1997 Eh Oh! The Teletubbies are unleashed on an unsuspecting public.
«
1999 The Star Wars Prequel, The Phantom Menace is released. Barbie is 40 years old! WWF is relaunched. Classics, Hula Hoops, Frisbees and Slinky Springs all receive a fresh image. Teck Decks arrive from the USA.
«
Read the full list here

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Errr ... two small problems.

1. That link just says "http:///" so doesn't go anywhere.

2. Toys were around LONG LONG before 1759. :eek:)

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Link corrected and i can't fit everything in one news post, so i was selective about what i used.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
"4000 BC - A Babylonian game which is the ancestor of modern draughts begins to be played"

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Thanks for fixing the link. I was joking about the dates, I knew you probably only picked a few ... either that or the original website was utterly hopeless. ;o)

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
Lol.......6000 BC......monopoly is invented by the egyptians. I dont care what you have to say about this....I know its true :)

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I think that the original planet of the apes came out in 1967? I don't think it made that list. That list (the one i posted or the soruce) is not everything .... I just came across it and thought it was interesting.

Da Monkey

New Recruit
It's not on the complete list, either. It's because of the original Planet of the Apes that was released in 1968 that there is mass merchendising with every movie released. If it wasn't for Planet of the Apes, we wouldn't have Star Wars figures.

CoruscantCosta

Ewok Cheif
Originally posted by Buzz Bumble
I thought that was invented by Microsoft before time began. :eek:(

Please give me the exact time and date of when time began. Do this and you might get famous..........

Also, tell me the time and date of when monopoly was invented.

You might win something from me if you can get me verified evidence.

It also seems as if im spending my spare time writing silly posts like this.

Ignore the above as well..

Thank You