Original Trilogy Petition

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
While the explanation has a certain logic to it, it still doesn't sit well with me. Buzz made a point about Anakin being redeemed to the light side as an old....thats gotta be taken into account.

At the end of the day, GL is fixing something that ain't broken.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1092186524995_87595724/?hub=TopStories

Go 3/4th of the way down and read:

"I am very concerned about our national heritage, and I am very concerned that the films that I watched when I was young and the films that I watched throughout my life are preserved, so that my children can see them." -- George Lucas

Note: This is a similiar story that Amshak linked to in post #16. His link is dead and I came across the quote again.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
That quote has been taken out of context.

George Lucas was talking about people changing someone else's work, not someone making changes to their own work. Only the person who originally created the work should be allowed to change it (or at least give permission for the changes to be made), NOT some dipstick who is currently in charge of the studio.

Can you imagine the chaos we'd get if every time a new studio big-cheese signed his contract he went and made changes to every movie now in their charge? Why do they think they know how to do it better than the original creator did?

This is also a very similar stance to my own loathing of the current remake fad in Hollywood. They should not be allowed to remake "Battlestar Galactica" , "Bewitched", etc. If they want to make a show that's slightly similar, they should make their own, not butcher the original creator's effort. :fume:

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
i agree with you buzz, but i think the reason we see these things being redone, specifically tv shows being turned into movies, is because the studio doesn't have to spend much on marketing a product that everyone already has an understanding of. in the studios mind, the risk factor is smaller for an idea that previously worked.

now if we are talking about adding color to the 3 stooges, then that's something else.

i do think that Lucas needs watch his step when talking about changes being made to movies though.

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
AmShak said:
... a product that everyone already has an understanding of. in the studios mind ...

Which simply proves that studios (or more precisely the fools in charge) don't have minds. VERY few of these remakes have anything more than a passing vague resemblance to the original. :(

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
Just to mention 'The Italian Job' as a major case in point. NOT in Italy and completely missing the major points of the original!

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Yep, they remembered the Mini chase sequence and decided to do that again, but basically changed almost everything else. They should have called it something else.

But that's just one example of MANY, MANY silly remakes. :(

Darth Boru

Celtic Sith
True, there are millions more (almost literally!), but the Italian Job annoyed me more than most.

Having said that, they do come up with a good remake once in a while - 'The Mummy' is the best example I can think of.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
My biggest complaint about anything that's added to the OT is that it usually does not look like it belongs. The best example of this is Jabba in ANH. Although he looks better in the DVD version, he still looks out of place (combination of lighting and appearing too sharply defined on screen when compared to Han). This has the effect of taking the audience out of the story. If they see something that is so obviously fake it makes it hard to buy the scene.

The same thing can be said for the monkey-people that are at the end of THX-1138. They actually look pretty good. But the difference between them and the rest of the scene is so great, that it's very obvious that they don't quite belong.

Adding stuff to a movie that causes the audience to lose their immersion is a mistake.

Adding stuff to a movie that changes the story and/or character development is a mistake.

Anything else is fine. ;)

joewhite

New Recruit
POSSIBLE SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE NEW VERSIONS

If I may take up some space...

As bad as my stomach cringed after discovering that the DVD's would not be the OT unaltered...I was surprised to realize that they weren't that bad.

Sure, Greedo still shoots, which by the way is a major raping of any story...Star Wars or not. You just don't ruin such awesome character development, in this case trying to show that Han is actually an "alright guy" from the start. Especially when you've used a lot of energy to explain how this character has gone from roughneck to galactic hero over the course of three whole movies (or six years).

And worst of all, C. Haydensen in the last scene!!!! Wow..no! Horrible, not just because of the fact but because of the poor quality in which it was presented! Why is he looking off to the opposite side?

The fixed Jabba was ok and I've always supported that scene being included just because it sets up for Return. Could it have been presented better and without Boba Fett...yes, but it was ok.

The new Emperor in Empire was a nice, subtle touch that I didn't mind at all. As well as Boba Fett's new voice. I'm one who was against Jango Fett being the template for the Clones but the new voice didn't hurt.

Of all the changes the sound and picture were obviously the best! Sure I absolutely hate a few things and was really looking forward to these being the originals but for now these will do. I still have the VHS originals so at least I won't completely forget what movies I actually fell in love when I was 5. But I still signed the petition.

AmShak

Senior Moderator
Staff member
my problem with han not shooting first isn't so much with the character of han solo but it changes the whole enviroment. han shooting first says a lot about what type of place the cantina is, what type of place tatooine is and the universe that our characters live in.

Borsk

Administrator
Staff member
I wish they would redo more of the special effects (ships etc) so that they look better instead of concentrating on changing all the characters.

For example, I'd like to see an improved speeder bike scene in Jedi. I wouldn't mind seeing a better looking Rancor. I wouldn't mind improving the way the Falcon looks in some scenes from ANH. The sabers could look better in ANH.

It seems like there's plenty of little things they should worry about fixing before they worry about erasing Sebastian Shaw's eyebrows and inserting Hayden as a "blue glowie" at the end of Jedi. Maybe that's just me...

Buzz Bumble

Furry Ewok
Darth Boru said:
Just to mention 'The Italian Job' as a major case in point. NOT in Italy and completely missing the major points of the original!
Oh God!! The horror!
They're making a sequel! :banghead:
The Italian Job Cast Reuniting for Sequel
Source: Variety September 27, 2004

Paramount Pictures is in talks to bring back The Italian Job stars Mark Wahlberg, Charlize Theron, Seth Green, Mos Def and Jason Statham for the sequel being developed by producer John Goldwyn, reports Variety.

The trade says that, while the script is not finished, the goal is to start filming in late March for a November 2005 release. F. Gary Gray, who directed last year's $106 million blockbuster remake of the 1969 original, will be the first choice to helm the sequel.

The sequel script is being penned by Wayne and Donna Powers, the husband-and-wife team who wrote the remake and set it in Venice and Hollywood. Primary locations in the sequel are expected to be St. Tropez, Paris and the French Alps.